Defiance - syfy

Started by bitter, April 16, 2013, 08:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitter

Did anyone watch the 2 hour premiere last night??? Seems like they hyped it up for 2 months or so, and while it had some things going for it, there were a lot of odd things going on as well. Namely, the CGI environments were not at all like the real environments, which was weird because anytime they panned out, the CGI took over and didn't look like the landscapes from moments earlier. Also, St. Louis is now inside the grand canyon FWTW.

My guess is that this show will probably not last terribly long :-\
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Ryno

Watched it because I have a couple of friends who work on the game side of it.  They've been Facebook hyping that shit to where its annoying. 

I think the concept was better on paper.  Remember, the game universe is supposed to be playable along side the show timeline. 

I agree that it wasn't very good but it was 100 times better than most of the shit that SyFy pushes.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

bitter

They just tried too hard. I can live with the poor/cheesy makeup, but get rid of the CGI stuff that doesn't fit. The characters are fun though.

boltthrow

That's funny, Ryno, I know a guy working on it too (on the film side I think) and he's been spamming the thing relentlessly on FB.  It must be a company-wide edict.

Ryno

Yeah, they're very proud of it.  I know SyFy has put a bunch of money into both sides of it, hoping to create this "genre-defining entertainment experience". 

The poop genre.

All I know is that it's no REVOLUTION, that's for sure!
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

MadJohnShaft

Some days chickens, some days feathers

bitter

A few episodes in now and it's a lot better. Why they hyped it is still beyond me, but now that it's more in line with their recent tv series in regards to content quality and visual capabilities, it's pretty much on par with everything else they put out. They dialed back the CG stuff and it no longer feels like they're over reaching. In the end, nothing special, but a watchable show.

It seems like syfy kind of messed up the formula a bit as of late. I feel like no one saw the potential of stargate universe. Both the UK and US versions of Being Human started sucking after a couple of seasons. Eureka concluded its final season fairly recently with Merlin following up later this year. Warehouse 13 is dumb. Continuum was boring.  See where I'm going with this?

Maybe the summer return of falling skies (TNT) and Alphas, along with late 2013/early 2014 returns of Haven and Lost Girl will make up for the recent programming disappointments?

/bitching