Main Menu

Bass auto-wah

Started by clockwork green, May 11, 2013, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

I'm thinking of either adding the AMT Japanese Girl bass wah or more likely, an auto-wah. What do you like? What sucks?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

I,Galactus

You're on the right track.  Optical is good.  Cliff Burton tone = Morley Power Wah Boost into Big Muff.

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

bbottom

Quote from: I,Galactus on May 11, 2013, 10:08:00 PM
You're on the right track.  Optical is good.  Cliff Burton tone = Morley Power Wah Boost into Big Muff.

I had one of those for a while and absolutely hated it. To my ears it didn't sound good and it was a huge pain in the ass to lug around. But to each their own.

If you've got the cash I would suggest checking out the Wilson bass wah. They're pricey but to my ears they are the best sounding bass wah out there

clockwork green

A friend of mine has that Morley and it was really cool but the light died and the replacement doesn't work as well. I'm leaning more towards the auto-wah since I'll be singing as well.

Pissy

I use a Cry Baby Bass Wah and I would not recommend it. The autoswitching thing is great, but its really tough to dial in to smooth transitions with comparable signal levels to bypass while maintaining a good effect.
Vinyls.   deal.

Danny G

I've had two bass crybabies break on me, and they are not very repair friendly.

Still using a snarling dogs whine-o wah that I didn't like on guitar for a bass wah. It was laying around and works, not great sounding but decent tho. Weighs a ton as well.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

clockwork green

Pissy

I think an autowah would be fun, but I haven't used one on bass, and its been years wince I messed with one at all.  It think its worth a shot.
Vinyls.   deal.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

omie

Not sure if this helps but I use an envelope filter/follower... EHX BassBalls which I keep in a blender loop for bass. The blender really gives me tons of options but may be to much for bassist that don't roll with pedal boards.    I generally feed it with distortion, Fuzz or heavy OD and it keeps the response more consistent ala an auto wah. The internal trimpots can be fooled with to make the response subtle bubble to laser gun depending on how hard it's getting hit. I've got it set so that I can use the distortion in the pedal as well to really take it over top.  I'd suggest this is more of a semi-funky rock envelope filter.

about 3minutes in:

I'm currently gigging with a classic rock cover band. The guitarists don't use any weird effects, so I kick on the Envelope during several songs where the originals are using EF/Talkboxes or severe wah wahs.. umm... the last section of 'Sweet Emotion' and the guitar solos in 'Rocky Mountain Way'.
... real talk

Chovie D

vintage bass balls or dr q  is fun.  8)

you can get a cheap autowah too to fuck around with.
Ibanez soundtank, danelectro mini, or behringer or whatever those other really cheap knock offs were?
Ive got a couple kickin around..never use em

I have that morley pedal too..

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on May 13, 2013, 10:43:22 AM

Ibanez soundtank, danelectro mini, or behringer or whatever those other really cheap knock offs were?

That EXH Enigma I posted is the Bassballs plus the Dr. Q all in one unit.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

Quote from: RacerX on May 13, 2013, 11:46:13 AM
Quote from: Chovie D on May 13, 2013, 10:43:22 AM

That EXH Enigma I posted is the Bassballs plus the Dr. Q all in one unit.

interesting.

clockwork green

I pulled the trigger on a 3Leaf Proton. It's something of a Mutron 3 variant. I figure if it doesn't work I'll try the AMT Japanese Girl bass wah and work my way up from there.

grimniggzy

always liked the sound of the older Q-Trons

AgentofOblivion

Despite the names having a similar word, I wouldn't really consider the auto-wah and wah-wah different operational modes of the same thing.  Or put another way, I would use them both for different purposes, not as substitutes.  If you figure out which sound you're going for it might make it easier to decide.  I would be hesitant to think that an auto-wah would be like a wah that works itself while I sing--convincingly anyway.

bbottom

Quote from: clockwork green on May 13, 2013, 08:21:56 PM
I pulled the trigger on a 3Leaf Proton. It's something of a Mutron 3 variant. I figure if it doesn't work I'll try the AMT Japanese Girl bass wah and work my way up from there.

You'll love it. I have one and dig the shit out of it.

When I use the Proton I'll usually keep it on for an entire song because it's a more subtle EV. I'll use the bassballs though for more stand out sort of stuff.