Dio era Sabbath, rediscovered my love for it.

Started by MR. CREEPER, May 24, 2013, 06:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR. CREEPER

I know we all agree, or at least the majority, the original Sabbath is the be all, end all. However, I have recently rekindled my love for Dio era Sabbath, particularly Mob Rules. Such a great album, and riffs a-plenty. Any other lovers of this here? Come on, we all know it was still a win/win with Dio in Sabbath and Ozzy solo?

mortlock

mob rules is one of the greatest metal albums ever..

Dunedin

The best Sabbath era is.....?

The correct answer is Dio era Sabbath.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

MR. CREEPER

I have the most love for early Sabbath, preferably minus the last 2 classic era albums. However, the Dio era Sabbath was the perfect meld of the Doomy early years and the more metallic side that would help to shape the next wave of Stoner/Doom bands. Shit, listen to Trouble and you can see they leaned a bit more towards the Dio era sound for their own tunes.

Dunedin

I love both era's obviously, but my two favourite Sabbath songs are Neon Knights and Falling off the Edge of the World so I've got to give it to the Dio era.
Lemur Demands Back Scratches!

MR. CREEPER

8) Yeah, lately I've been emerged in Dio era Sabbath, and Blackrose thru Renegade Thin Lizzy. I feel kinda dirty, ya know, not towing the convention, traditional lines(Ozzy era Sabbath, Robbo/Gorham era Lizzy) but oh well.

EddieMullet

Throw UFO's No Place to Run and The Wild The Willing and the Innocent into the mix and you have some good stuff to go with the post Robbo Thin Lizzy and Dio era Black Sabbath.

Headshrinker

Just burnt two compilations:

I

Black Sabbath
The Mob Rules
Hole in the Sky
Heaven and Hell
Electric Funeral
Eternal Idol
Pariah
Double the Pain
Children of the Grave
Back to Eden
Snowblind
The Fallen
Symptom of the Universe
Voodoo

II

Into the Void
Neon Knights
Age of Reason
The Sign of the Southern Cross
Never Say Die
Fear
War Pigs/Luke's Wall
Computer God
The Wizard
Glory Ride
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Die Young
Iron Man

See what I did there?

GodShifter

Alternated an Ozzy tune with a different singer tune on every other track. Well done. Good compilation.

Headshrinker

Quote from: GodShifter on September 29, 2013, 11:28:39 AM
Alternated an Ozzy tune with a different singer tune on every other track.

In addition, I tried to include all albums once per CD. That proved to be too difficult. And 'Headless Cross', 'Seventh Star', and 'Tyr' delivered no compilation-worthy tracks.

GodShifter

Quote from: Headshrinker on September 30, 2013, 10:26:22 AM
Quote from: GodShifter on September 29, 2013, 11:28:39 AM
Alternated an Ozzy tune with a different singer tune on every other track.

In addition, I tried to include all albums once per CD. That proved to be too difficult. And 'Headless Cross', 'Seventh Star', and 'Tyr' delivered no compilation-worthy tracks.

I like the title tracks to both Seventh Star and Headless Cross. In addition, I also like "When Death Calls" from HC.

I love TYR and think that "Anno Mundi" & "Valhalla" are exception tracks. In fact, "Valhalla" is a top 20 all-time Sabbath track for me.

I've been going over the Tony Martin era quite a bit lately, and I'm finding some really good tracks from that time period. That said, I think you could probably take all of the TM albums and have a good 10 song album if all the crap was pared out.

Woody

I've been going over the Tony Martin era quite a bit lately, and I'm finding some really good tracks from that time period. That said, I think you could probably take all of the TM albums and have a good 10 song album if all the crap was pared out.
[/quote]

Compile it & save me the hassle of weeeding through all those tapes! Iommi with Cozy Powells is something that should have been super-mint.

EddieMullet

A few other recommended Tony Martin cuts would be Virtual Death from Cross Purposes, The Sabbath Stones from Tyr and The Shining and the title track from The Eternal Idol.

I think Headless Cross could be a solid album with a good remix, tone down or remove some of the keyboards, take that ridiculous 80's reverb off the drums and vocals and bring the bass guitar up.