Main Menu

Schecter Stiletto Bass

Started by hayseed, February 12, 2011, 10:27:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

So i have been checking these out in catalogs for a while now. I am really into the looks of this thing (reminds me of a Ric for some reason).l I have never seen one or played one! Next weekend i am planning a (insert shame) Guitar Center trip to try one out. My neearest GC is about 60 miles away which sucks but also keeps me from frequenting it as my anger would surely get the best of me! Anyway.... I have heard a guy play a  Schecter guitar a few years back and was appalled at how bad it sounded in comparison to the Les Paul he switched to mid set. I wonder if this bass has that same godawful tone.

Does anybody use one of these or have any experience with them?  Build quality? Tone? Feel?

Thanks guys for any info.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/msg/2206147726.html
http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Bass/Stiletto-Elite-4.aspx
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

VOLVO)))

Those basses are alright. The necks are thin up top, and they're pretty easy to play. They felt sorta quality in my hands, but I've never been a Schecter guy, so I may be biased.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

giantchris

They are allright I've played a couple here and there.  Personally like the Ibanez SR series for the same thing but a better neck for roughly the same price.  That and I love the sound of Bartolinis so I'm a little biased.

Honestly if you aren't dead set on an active bass theres other cool ones for around $300 that are a little more obscure.  Like one of those Peavey T40s (or was it T60s I forget) or if you got lucky and found an early Czech made MTD Grendel or Beast.  MTD makes amazing necks.  I also always have felt the Cort Artisan series is a little underpriced on the resale market and you can sometimes find them for 300-500$.  Also always liked those MM S.U.B.s but its hard to find one cheap nowadays.

Thought I'd share some random stuff.  I'd try an ibby SR500 though if you can find one used before pulling the trigger on the Schecter.

VOLVO)))

Peavey T40... T60 is the guitar. You might want to try and find an early/mid 80's NJ BC Rich...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

my first bass was a t-40..it was a beast. i dumped it when i cracked the neck. believe it or not that was the inspiration for me wanting a humbucker in my jazz bass. i missed that massive tone i used to get from the t40..that puts us back to 1988..i kind of dragged my feet on that a little..   

giantchris

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 13, 2011, 10:42:22 AM
Peavey T40... T60 is the guitar. You might want to try and find an early/mid 80's NJ BC Rich...
I work nights and sometimes its hard to concentrate/remember stuff when you work as much as I do.  But yeah those Peaveys are pretty nice but rather heavy.

Discö Rice

I had  a T-40 for a couple of years, but had to sell it. Yes it was heavy, but worth it. Those HBs howled. The swamp ash body sounded great. For $300-$400 you get a bass that a lot of people claim is interchangeable with a Rickenbacker tone-wise (the bridge pickup on the T-40 with the tone dimed is a dead ringer). Also, it could easily double as an emergency oar, and I'm pretty sure you could kill a moose with one good two handed swing.

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

mortlock

its actually a great bass..been awhile since i looked at one. i forgot what a boat anchor the bridge was..probably weighes 10 lbs alone..

hayseed

Oooh...That Peavey is awesome. My older cuz had a Peavey bass when we were young and that thing was a fuckin monster. Sounded great.
I love the look of natural wood grain instruments. They LOOK like they SOUND better!
I would like to own a Ric but the price tag is way outta my reach for a new one. I tend to keep my instrument price range under $1000 because i am a cheap ass.

I personally have never owned anything with active pickups. But i may venture into this territory soon. Whats to gain from going this route?
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Discö Rice

With active pickups you mostly gain definition and bottom end. They can be voiced for a variety of things, but that's most often what people are going for.

It's my feeling that if Peavey started making T-40's again they could go for $1200 new and sell like crazy. It's a pure rock bass designed to kick you in the throat. Overdriven or fuzzed out, they really scream. Now forget I said all of that, because I wanna find one cheap as soon as I get some extra cash.

Discö Rice

I should add that the T-60 is a hell of a guitar.

mortlock

this thread got me looking..theres actually a real nice looking sunburst t40 on ebay right now..for not too much cash.

Discö Rice

Quote from: mortlock on February 13, 2011, 05:32:11 PM
this thread got me looking..theres actually a real nice looking sunburst t40 on ebay right now..for not too much cash.
damn.

Lumpy

Good thing that bass says 'Peavey' in 6 different places - somebody might miss it.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Lumpy on February 13, 2011, 06:05:01 PM
Good thing that bass says 'Peavey' in 6 different places - somebody might miss it.
haha yes! Have you played one, Lumpy?

EddieMullet

I played one of those Schecters it felt and sounded cheap, I did not like it at all.  I also really hate active pick ups so I might be a bit biased there.  But I was less than impressed.

For a cheap ass bass those Squier Classic Vibe basses are solid I had one for a while and really liked it, only reason I got rid of it is that I used it as part of a trade in for a used Highway One Jazz Bass, which I really like. It's an older one from 2003.

VOLVO)))

I own a T-60. It was my main guitar until I wore the frets into the board. Love that thing.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 13, 2011, 07:00:06 PM
I own a T-60. It was my main guitar until I wore the frets into the board. Love that thing.
seems like that'd be an easy fix, though. You could even order a new neck from warmoth or usa custom guitars.

hayseed

Quote from: EddieMullet on February 13, 2011, 06:30:24 PM
I played one of those Schecters it felt and sounded cheap, I did not like it at all.  I also really hate active pick ups so I might be a bit biased there.  But I was less than impressed.

For a cheap ass bass those Squier Classic Vibe basses are solid I had one for a while and really liked it, only reason I got rid of it is that I used it as part of a trade in for a used Highway One Jazz Bass, which I really like. It's an older one from 2003.
Thats what i was afraid of- feeling and sounding cheap. Thats how the Schecter 6 string that i heard sounded. I may still head out to try one out just for the adventure. I am not really in the market for a new bass as i just picked up a nice P Bass but curiosity caused by the looks of the Schecter bass line got the best of me. I am pretty positive i DON"T want active pick ups but if i found one cheap enough i may go for it, of course i would have to try it with my rig first.

Discö Rice

Active pups are what you make them. I don't know if you've heard a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass,  for example, but they have active pickups, and are remarkably fat and warm sounding. They also look like regular J pups, and I think that helps. That plastic black EMG soapbar look is awful, at least to my eyes.

eddiefive10

the Schecter sucks, they had one in a local mom and pop near me. I tried it out cause I too liked the looks, but honestly it sucked, it felt cheap like a childs toy.  I own a 95 mim Jazz that I cant stand and a mia Pbass that I friggin love!! I owned a T40 too, picked it up at Daddy's Junky music in Syracuse NY around 2004, payed $150 for it with case and all the original tags, it was a great bass and sounded amazing, I sold it cause I got short on cash remodeling a room for my new born daughter in 2005, I sold it on ebay for $350.  For active basses, I love the Warwick Streamer Double buck, it just felt right the second I picked it up, only other bass that I played that felt that nice sadly enough was a Carl Thompson, the balance and neck was truely amazing, I have a friend that own's 6 Carl Thompsons I believe.

tomz.

There's a good chance that that Shecter does not have active pup's but a battery pre-amp.   They're not all crap, some decent ones pop up now and then.  It's just a modern bass, so does not have that "vintage" vibe. I'd imagine a comparable ibanez would hold it's value better, but it's a $300.00 guitar, not three grand...  Popular bass for the funk crowd?  Is there still a market for funk?
motorcycles, rock n roll, and beer, not necessarily in that order.

eddiefive10

Ibanez ATK bass is cool, and can be found cheap, I owned one and wish I didnt sell it!!

Discö Rice

Quote from: eddiefive10 on February 13, 2011, 10:29:13 PM
Ibanez ATK bass is cool, and can be found cheap, I owned one and wish I didnt sell it!!
My cousin had one of those. Cool bass for sure.

hayseed

From the reviews here and my experience with one of their guitars, i cant see how i could possibly like it. Believe me, if isn't built sturdy, my paws will know really quickly! I love "block of wood" guitars, something that i can use to defend myself should the zombie apocalypse come to my town and then use for a gig the same night! It s a shame the build quality is shit, they really are eye catching. I will still try one if i get near one , as i would like to form my own opinion too. I should just stay with my old faithful P Basses as they have never let me down and there is no bullshit with them really.

Funny you brought up an ATK. I had the opportunity to buy one used about 2 months ago  from a guy i know, and i flat out refused it due to its active pickups. I should heed my own instincts! Thanks for the reviews on the Schecter line though. it really helped.