Grill Grates do these thing s work as advertised?

Started by MadJohnShaft, June 09, 2013, 07:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

These get glowing recommendations - I probably wouldn't bother using the stupid spatula for anything but cleanup.

I got heavy duty cast iron replacements for my gas weber silver a few years ago, they are sturdy but never seem as brutally hot as I like and they flare up too easy.  I have one of those flat trays for veggies that I like using.

These channeled panels sit on top of the existing ones and are supposed to let you cook at much higher temperatures.

http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Anodized-GrillGrate-Gift-Kit/dp/B002MAHRAM
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Chovie D

looks gimmicky but i dunno...have not tried.

about to fire up the gas weber myself right now. salmon(im out of cedar planks and i hate the chip box thing. >:() and asparagus, potatoes, a salad.

Sparkle Motion

I only use charcoal and wood.  Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

MadJohnShaft

neighbor664

mortlock

someone should make a grill grate with the slayer logo. how cool would that be on the side of a ny strip..

Pissy

^^^

I'll race you to the finish.  wanna go?  First Slayer logo'd steak wins.  You in?

Shaft, you need more heat.  Like the kind of heat that comes from charcoal.  Don't be a fossil fuel burning Hoidy-Toidy douchebag that assumes that gas is as good.  It's not.  It does not generate the heat per Sq inch of charcoal, given the build of the grill.  You're a goddamn engineer who likely went through a class or two on thermodynamics, and as such you know that heat and mass yields the grill marks we all crave.   And before you say "I'm an EE", spare it, so am I and I went through thermodynamics.

And WTF with the anti flare up?  flare ups are your friend...  well, unless your running a gas grill on all three burners on to try and generate the heat (that only charcoal can provide) with no cool spot.  You just have to be Johnny on the spot with movement, and since you don't drink or smoke anymore, and the kids are old enough to run themselves, that shouldn't be a problem.

C'MON!

On a lighter note, I've never used those things.  My focus has always been on metallic mass, for the grill marks.  Think about it, those lightweight tinfoil things can't do what you want because they'll cool down as soon as the meat hits them.  They'll remain at a lower temp (due to their contact with the lower temp food) than the flame generated heat.  Counterproductive.

Vinyls.   deal.

MadJohnShaft

Chovie D

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on June 18, 2013, 11:13:00 AM
I shall school your fool ass now, with the power of Internet knowledge

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_grill_marks_and_flipping_meat.html

yes, i read all that in Modernist Cuisine already.
get a blowtorch for searing.

Pissy

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on June 18, 2013, 11:13:00 AM
I shall school your fool ass now, with the power of Internet knowledge

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_grill_marks_and_flipping_meat.html

Of course. The BBQ Tips They Don't Want You To KnowTM

Sounds to me like you want an oven broiled steak then. If your after more carmelization, I might suggest cutting you steak into strips or cubes prior to the grill/marinade/seasoning to create more surface area to carmelize. It works well. Don't julianne them or anything, but 1" strips on :30 seconds per side in a flare up scenario produces really good results.
Vinyls.   deal.

MadJohnShaft

I've been turning and flipping and flipping and turning steaks and everything else on the grill like a crazy man since I read all that sometime ago - and that shit works.