What's your favorite series?

Started by The Shocker, December 08, 2010, 06:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

Currently I'm reading the Prey series by John Sandford that stars (?) Lucas Davenport as a Minneapolis cop that tracks down murderers - usually serial killers.  They are fast paced and entertaining, but aren't serious literature.

My all time favorite though is the Travis McGee series by John D MacDonald.  Beach bum, "salvage expert", armchair philosopher, McGee is my favorite literature character.

Your favorites?

Volume

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen

10 (800 page) books of the most amazing fantasy ever written.

The Shocker

Also a big fan of the Hunger Game series.

demon gal

I haven't read too many series but I remember absolutely loving Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City books, but that was in the early 90s.

mandoron

Quote from: deaner33 on December 08, 2010, 06:58:09 PM
Currently I'm reading the Prey series by John Sandford that stars (?) Lucas Davenport as a Minneapolis cop that tracks down murderers - usually serial killers.  They are fast paced and entertaining, but aren't serious literature.

My all time favorite though is the Travis McGee series by John D MacDonald.  Beach bum, "salvage expert", armchair philosopher, McGee is my favorite literature character.

Your favorites?

I've been recently reading some of the Lew Archer series by John Ross MacDonald, who I've read had some problems with John D because of the similarities of their names, John Ross eventually went by the name Ross MacDonald. I know I have at least one John D MacDonald book but I haven't read it yet.

I would say my favorite series is the Donald Lam/Bertha Cool series that Erle Stanley Gardner put out under the A.A. Fair pen name.

black

I will shamelessly admit that I will read anything by Stephen Hunter.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

NCR600

Quote from: demon gal on December 09, 2010, 10:54:32 AM
I haven't read too many series but I remember absolutely loving Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City books, but that was in the early 90s.

I dug the HBO(?) TV series when it was shown out here in the late 90's. I probably should track down the books. Books are always better, right?

GodShifter

The George R. R. Martin series "A Song of Ice and Fire". A bit nonplussed that the fat fuck can't seem to finish the next book though.

Volume

Quote from: GodShifter on December 17, 2010, 10:14:07 PM
The George R. R. Martin series "A Song of Ice and Fire". A bit nonplussed that the fat fuck can't seem to finish the next book though.

A Song of Fire and Ice is great, but the wait is getting ridiculous.

sleestak

Killing threads is my business and business is good.

The Shocker

Any fans of the Millennium Trilogy (Girl With Dragon Tattoo, etc)?  I found them equally enjoyable and frustrating.  That dude needed a stong editor to wrestle those books into shape, but I guess when he died they didn't want to touch his "masterpieces".

Desertblues

John Connolly's Charlie Parker series.

CanookieWookie

Anything & everything written by Brett Easton Ellis.

peoplething

I guess it would be the Drizzt series. 20 books, read chronologically back-to-back. It took me about 10 months, and I viewed it more as a challenge than a voracious love of the character's and stories. Some of those books flat out didn't need to be written.  A few of them though, are really cool idea's as to how a chaotic evil (drow) society would function without completely imploding and what lengths basically good characters will go to survive in it. Also, if anybody play's D&D 4.0, the civilization of the orcs is handled in the last few books. At first I thought this was a lousy idea, but it's some of Salvator's best writing in that series.

I are nerd  ;D
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

black_out

I'm a big fan of Tim Dorsey novels, all of which chronicle the life of a serial killer obsessed with Florida history, and his best friend coleman, who is drunk and stoned from begining to end of every book. These are the only books I've ever read that literally make me laugh out loud. He has a new one coming out January 25th, but Florida Road Kill is a good place to start. 

By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

Desertblues

John Connolly's Charlie Parker series is my fav.  Part detective, part supernatural, part horror genre it rocks.

The Shocker

Quote from: black_out on December 29, 2010, 09:50:00 PM
I'm a big fan of Tim Dorsey novels, all of which chronicle the life of a serial killer obsessed with Florida history, and his best friend coleman, who is drunk and stoned from begining to end of every book. These are the only books I've ever read that literally make me laugh out loud. He has a new one coming out January 25th, but Florida Road Kill is a good place to start.  

That sounds pretty cool.  I may have to Amazon wishlist some of those.

Are they similar to Carl Hiassen's books?  Used to be a big fan of his work, but along the line stopped reading him.

black_out

Quote from: deaner33 on December 30, 2010, 08:58:27 AM
Quote from: black_out on December 29, 2010, 09:50:00 PM

That sounds pretty cool.  I may have to Amazon wishlist some of those.

Are they similar to Carl Hiassen's books?  Used to be a big fan of his work, but along the line stopped reading him.

I'm not familiar with Carl Hiassen, so I'll have to check him out. Any books of his that you liked especially?

Dorsey is definitely worth checking out, though. I snagged a lot of his novels as used paper backs for under $5.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

The Shocker

I remember Skin Tight & Strip Tease being good.  Long, long time since I've read them though.  The crappy Demi Moore movie is based on Hiassen's book.

colonic rocker

I knew the Stieg Larson Millenium series would come up. I hope this will generate some interest in other Scandinavian mysteries, namely Inspector Wallander by Henning Mankell (avoid the television adaptions). I've read about eight and would suggest One Step Behind as the best one.

The Shocker

Quote from: colonic rocker on January 11, 2011, 07:35:42 PM
           I knew the Stieg Larson Millenium series would come up. I hope this will generate some interest in other Scandinavian mysteries, namely Inspector Wallander by Henning Mankell (avoid the television adaptions). I've read about eight and would suggest One Step Behind as the best one.

I picked up a couple of the Wallander books from a thrift store - read one about an assassin that was going to do something in South Africa?

giantchris

I would probably say my favorite series is Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy.  The characters are hilarious and the Bloody-Nine is simply awesome. 

I would follow that closely with Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn books which are extremely well written.

I also like Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards sequence a lot.

The most INTERESTING series I've ever read is the Deepgate Codex by Alan Campbell.  Its just plain bizzare and the imagery is insane.  Odd that the guy was one of the creators of Grand Theft Auto.

peterlies

Steven Erikson's Malazan Books of the Fallen by far.

Eyehatehippies

The Valis Trilogy
The Earthsea Series
The Elric Series

I was here, but I disappare.

cusar5

My favourite series lately has been Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe detective novels. The crimes and mysteries are always interesting, but the really great thing about the series is the characters. Stout set each novel in the year that it was written, and though times change in the novels, the characters never do, and their interactions are a joy to read. I laugh out loud reading Nero Wolfe books more than most "humour" books. Archie is probably the best first person narrator in all of crime fiction.

Tim Dorsey is great too, though his recent books have all been pretty much the same thing, so I've stopped picking them up. I recall Triggerfish Twist and Stingray Shuffle being my favourites of his stuff.

I definitely agree about Joe Abercrombie as well. Bayaz is my absolute favourite fantasy wizard, and Dogman and Glotka are great too.