Main Menu

Worst Endorsment Deals Ever?

Started by spookstrickland, February 13, 2011, 08:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

What do you think is the worst pile of shit a Musician has ever Put his name on just for the money?

I'm going to say the Dwezil Zappa "Wiggy" amp what a fucking worthless piece of shit that I don't think even in a million years could become collectible because of it's overt gayness.

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

NoSleepTilSleep

I think Paul and Gene from KISS and their menagerie of shit takes the cake (you don't even have to be specific).

Ranbat

Quote from: spookstrickland on February 13, 2011, 08:37:38 PM
What do you think is the worst pile of shit a Musician has ever Put his name on just for the money?

I'm going to say the Dwezil Zappa "Wiggy" amp what a fucking worthless piece of shit that I don't think even in a million years could become collectible because of it's overt gayness.

Dude, the Wiggy is awesome. Not really a good metal amp, but it's pretty cool for other stuff. Love that amp.
Meh :/

Jake

It's not the worst deal ever, but when Fu Manchu put the fuzz away for those big shiny (sponsored) stacks of Marshall JCM2000s, I think it was a HUGE deviation from what a lot of people thought was one of their most redeeming qualities – giant sonic walls of speaker-shredding fuzz-gasms.

Also, anything that Zakkkkk Wyyyylde endorses is usually pretty nauseating.

poop.

eddiefive10

I thought with Fu Manchu there shit was "stolen" is why they went with the Marshalls, I owned a Jcm2000TSL, I liked the amp.... But the footswitch was broken internally on the head out of the box!!!

Mike_Sims

I have a JCM2000TSL too, it's decent, just not the sound you'd expend the Fu to have

hayseed

Zakk Wylde had a Marshall signature head that was pretty cool. I think it was a JCM800 but it never quite caught on like Kerry King's signature head did. His new line of guitars are hideous, yeah..he get the worst endorsement deal award!

I saw Fu Manchu about 2 years ago in a little dive bar and was VERY surprised to them using JCM2000's! I think they were 100 watt DSL's though. I was very anti 2000 until i played one through a 1960 cab and it blew me away. I actually used to ABY it with my Vox AC50 and it was a great tone that I never was able to get back(my buddy took his 2000 out of my house to use with another band...so sad.

I give Orange the whore of the year award for endorsing every shitty band that walks the planet! I hate seeing 16 yr olds in a "signed" nu-metal band playing a complete line of stacked Orange amps. That being said i am completely cool with Prince playing them!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

rayinreverse

this unfortunate award would have to go to a dead man.
the jimi hendrix gibson.
albeit it was a money grab by all parties involved, its still the single shittiest fucking signature model ive ever heard of, or seen since.

Ayek

Quote from: eddiefive10 on February 13, 2011, 10:02:34 PM
I thought with Fu Manchu there shit was "stolen" is why they went with the Marshalls,

Scott busted out his Mesa for the Signs of Infinite Power recording. Saw photos somewhere, maybe on fumanchu.com or something.

beardofcthulhu

Scott Ian had a pretty good run of terrible products.  He had his own sig distortion pedal (digitech?) that I don't think ever saw the light of day, he had sig guitars with Washburn and Dean (both junk), and finally found himself back at home with Jackson last year.
Peace through volume.

clockwork green

In the world of guitars I think Dimebag is still far and away the worst. I remember joking that the one night he forgets to wear his signature flak jacket look what happens. It's one thing to endorse stuff you actually use but it's another to endorse stuff you don't and even worse to completely change what you use solely for the endorsement check a la Krank tube amps.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

VOLVO)))

LOL@scott ian's digitech. It was called the black13, and it was a GIANT piece of shit. I had one of those Randalls he used for years, and it was supposed to emulate that amp. All it was able to generate was a bunch of fizz and disappointment.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hayseed

Quote from: clockwork green on February 14, 2011, 08:37:30 AM
In the world of guitars I think Dimebag is still far and away the worst. I remember joking that the one night he forgets to wear his signature flak jacket look what happens. It's one thing to endorse stuff you actually use but it's another to endorse stuff you don't and even worse to completely change what you use solely for the endorsement check a la Krank tube amps.

I can not agree more with you on this one! Its bad enough that his guitars were hideous to look at as is, but more than one company made them! The Krank amp deal was laughable too. Dime s known for that solid state tone and he gets endorsed by a no name tube head.WTF?

That being said, i would love some endorsements and would prob sell out for some free gear! Any takers? Cmon! Gibson? Fender? ANybody?.......Orange? < You guys sponsor anybody, help me out!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

eddiefive10

Ive had some friends get some descent endorsements, one was able to get a deal with Hartke they bascially gave him a full rig and he couldnt sell it, but if something new came out that he wanted, they  sent him a replacement and he sent the old back.  With the Hartke deal he got tons of strings, I think a Shure/Zoom endorsement too.  Another friend got hooked up with Fernandes, then ESP and there bass player got hooked up with Spector, I think it was something like 60% of list price. Finally from what I have been told everyone on Victory Records gets all items 10% over cost at Guitar Center.  Yeah some people take shit endorsements, but if I was touring on a regular basis I would go after the endorsements for sure.

Ayek

Quote from: clockwork green on February 14, 2011, 08:37:30 AMIt's one thing to endorse stuff you actually use but it's another to endorse stuff you don't and even worse to completely change what you use solely for the endorsement check a la Krank tube amps.

I think it's worse to endorse something you don't use. People change equipment, for good or ill, solely because they're paid to all the time in any kind of activity that draws sponsorship, be it sport or music or whatever else people do. As long as folks sleep in the bed they made, let them have their stamp of approval on it and whatever perks that come along with it.
In the case of Dimebag, well, he was a big Kiss fan...

mawso

Quote from: hayseed on February 14, 2011, 01:55:50 AM
Zakk Wylde had a Marshall signature head that was pretty cool. I think it was a JCM800 but it never quite caught on like Kerry King's signature head did. His new line of guitars are hideous, yeah..he get the worst endorsement deal award!

jake said usually pretty nauseating

the zakk wylde amp is just a regular 2203 with a different power tube in it.. hard to go wrong there (unless you pop active EMGs into your LP and put an SD-1 on full out the front)

Back in the dark ages, when I still bought guitar mags, I always felt disgusted by the full page Zakk ads with the Marshall MGs, microstacks, whatever.  They always promised "brutal, crushing" tone, and were clearly designed to sell the amps to young Ozzy/BLS fans who had no appreciation of the fact that he would have never played a note through one of those amps on stage or in a recording studio.  It's one thing to market overpriced to shit to blues lawyers, but a lot of these kids are gonna be at a stage in their life where an amp like that is a really major purchase.  Really sleazy marketing.

mortlock

thats what you get for not developing your own thing and trying to emulate your heros..

Ayek

Quote from: mawso on February 15, 2011, 09:37:09 PM
Back in the dark ages, when I still bought guitar mags, I always felt disgusted by the full page Zakk ads with the Marshall MGs, microstacks, whatever.  They always promised "brutal, crushing" tone, and were clearly designed to sell the amps to young Ozzy/BLS fans who had no appreciation of the fact that he would have never played a note through one of those amps on stage or in a recording studio.  It's one thing to market overpriced to shit to blues lawyers, but a lot of these kids are gonna be at a stage in their life where an amp like that is a really major purchase.  Really sleazy marketing.

I agree 100%. Like back in the old days of BMX and Stompin' Stu Thompson was sponsored by Huffy. At the time Huffy only made cheap as bikes that were not so good for racing, at least not seriously, but Stu's bile was a custom built job which was never on the market.