Univibe-ish effects pedals: Which ones do you like?

Started by MikeyT, June 10, 2013, 02:21:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyT

(The original) Univox Univibe ?       
  Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe ?
   Dunlop JHM3 Jimi Hendrix Univibe ?
    Dunlop Rotovibe ?
     Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe ?
       Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe 2 ?
        BBE Soul Vibe ?
         Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe ?
          MJM Sixties Vibe ?
           Moen Shaky Jimi ?

Something else ? 
  What have you got ?

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Chovie D

the best Ive tried is the cheap ass dano chicken salad. I hvae the dunlop uni and roto vibes and the dano beats em.

Chovie D

actually these are better, but also hundreds $$ more ...

Chovie D

Quote from: liquidsmoke on June 10, 2013, 05:01:06 PM
Get one with a volume knob.

yes, the dunlop univibe sucks has a huge volume drop...oddly the dano doesnt have this problem.

Pissy

You mean the Rotovibe?  Huh. I use the Rotovibe and I don't have that issue. I just played a Soul Vibe and it isn't up to snuff vs. the roto (playing bass mind you).

I can believe that the Dano is good. I'm a fan of the tuna melt trem. Sounds great with no click when you step on it, and they're dirt cheap.
Vinyls.   deal.

clockwork green

I've had a Sweet Sound Mojo Vibe for years and years and love it.  Very deep and swirling...very Bridge of Sighs/Machine Gun.  The Strymon Mobius also does a good job but not quite as rich as the Mojo Vibe, it also does a million other cool things so there's that. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Chovie D

Quote from: Pissy on June 10, 2013, 11:52:53 PM
You mean the Rotovibe?  Huh. I use the Rotovibe and I don't have that issue. I just played a Soul Vibe and it isn't up to snuff vs. the roto (playing bass mind you).

I can believe that the Dano is good. I'm a fan of the tuna melt trem. Sounds great with no click when you step on it, and they're dirt cheap.

no I have a rotovibe also and it doesnt kill the volume. Its the dunlop Univibe that has a severe volume drop. it has a volume knob , which you must keep pegged at full volume, and still you lose some volume.
The dunlop univibe also has a vibrato effect(not tremelo)..but this vibrato effect is so weak its useless. This effect also requires a dedicated wall wart to power it.

In short, the dunlop is not a good effect IMHO and its not cheap either. rotovibe is fine...but I dont need a foot controller.
find a used dano for $20 while you wait to find a cheap fender vibratone  ;D

spookstrickland

I got a Rotovibe.  I like it pretty well but it does not let a lot of low end through. 
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

RacerX

Quote from: Chovie D on June 10, 2013, 06:34:21 PM

yes, the dunlop univibe sucks has a huge volume drop...oddly the dano doesnt have this problem.

The new Dano Univibe clone (named the Vibe) has a slight boost effect. It also takes a moment to kick in. I think the original Univobes did, too. Something to do with it using a light of some sort in the circuit?

Anyway, it sounds pretty damn close. It's cheap, too.

Livin' The Life.

Baltar

The Lovepedal Pickle Vibe is fucking wicked for the price. I hot-rodded a stock Block Logo Phase 90 by clipping the R-28 and a few caps and get a close vibe sound if I roll back the VOL on my guitars. EHX has like 1,000,000 different vibe pedals that prolly pull it off too. Voodoo Labs make a good one too.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Chovie D

Quote from: RacerX on June 11, 2013, 06:45:18 PM
Quote from: Chovie D on June 10, 2013, 06:34:21 PM

The new Dano Univibe clone (named the Vibe) has a slight boost effect. It also takes a moment to kick in. I think the original Univobes did, too. Something to do with it using a light of some sort in the circuit?

Anyway, it sounds pretty damn close. It's cheap, too.

yes a troo univibe uses an optical sensor and a flashing light.

Here you can see the inards of a chicken salad at work.....

RacerX

Cool! Your video had a related video on how to fix the delay & boost effect of the Dano Vibe. If I weren't so hamhanded, I'd try it.
Livin' The Life.

Instant Dan

Played/Owned the Micro Vibe, Rotovibe, Deja Vibe, and Soul Vibe

Micro Vibe - Had a big volume drop

Rotovibe - Too suttle at lower settings, sucked out low end

Deja Vibe - Nice but pricey

Soul Vibe - No Volume drop, at the end of the day just a two knob version of the Phase 45

MikeyT

I actually ordered a Moen Shaky Jimi about the same time I started this thread. It's gotten a lot of good online reviews and at $65 new (shipped), I couldn't resist it. I'm not even sure I need one, but after listening to Jimi and Robin for so long, I find these strange devices intriguing.

The problem is I'm maybe a little obsessive-compulsive, so I can already feel the pull to buy more of them buy them all in order to hear exactly what they sound like and find out which are the best ones.

Chovie D

Quote from: MikeyT on June 13, 2013, 06:27:51 PM
    I actually ordered a Moen Shaky Jimi about the same time I started this thread. It's gotten a lot of good online reviews and at $65 new (shipped), I couldn't resist it. I'm not even sure I need one, but after listening to Jimi and Robin for so long, I find these strange devices intriguing.

The problem is I'm maybe a little obsessive-compulsive, so I can already feel the pull to buy more of them buy them all in order to hear exactly what they sound like and find out which are the best ones.
well at about $20 used, you might as well buy the dano chicken salad too.
I had 3 of em at one point.

MikeyT

Hee, hee...  Yeah, I probably will. 
            It's a pleasure to hear the cheapest model is the best.  :)

I always hear/read people saying the Danelectro effects are cool. I also hear they break easily, but realistically that shouldn't be a problem ('cause I'm careful).

I dig that micro amp they have-  the Danelectro HoneyTone.  Judging from some youtube videos it sounds trashy, but in a good way... great low-fi fun.

Ombrenuit

I use a phase 45 and that covers a middle ground between univibe and phase on the cheap.

Chovie D

Quote from: MikeyT on June 13, 2013, 10:46:52 PM

I always hear/read people saying the Danelectro effects are cool. I also hear they break easily, but realistically that shouldn't be a problem ('cause I'm careful).

I dig that micro amp they have-  the Danelectro HoneyTone.  Judging from some youtube videos it sounds trashy, but in a good way... great low-fi fun.

The mini dano effects are mostly copies of other circuits. Some of them are excellent.
The best ones are: Chicken Salad(univibe), French Toast(octave fuzz), tuna melt(trem)
they wouldnt be good for a live touring pedalboard because yes, they are cheap and easily broken.
they are excellent for the studio and home noodling.

please tell us how the one you ordered works out once you get it.

RAGER

There's lots of stuff online about how to re-house them and mod them to better effect.  I love my chicken salad but it's a bit noisy but that may be where I have it in line.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

Quote from: RAGER on June 14, 2013, 10:20:33 AM
There's lots of stuff online about how to re-house them and mod them to better effect.  I love my chicken salad but it's a bit noisy but that may be where I have it in line.

no noise at all on the two chicken salds i have left.
My frined is really good at rehousing, fixing etc. he told me the danos were a pain n the ass to rehouse.
The pots, jacks  and switch are soldered directly to the board.
i know it can be done, but its not an easy one. Ive seen people make multi effcts with em. get three or four and string em together in one box.

MikeyT

Quote from: Chovie D on June 14, 2013, 10:08:07 AM
Quote from: MikeyT on June 13, 2013, 10:46:52 PM

The mini dano effects are mostly copies of other circuits. Some of them are excellent.
The best ones are: Chicken Salad(univibe), French Toast(octave fuzz), tuna melt(trem)
they wouldnt be good for a live touring pedalboard because yes, they are cheap and easily broken.
they are excellent for the studio and home noodling.

please tell us how the one you ordered works out once you get it.

"please tell us how the one you ordered works out once you get it"

I'll do it. Thanks to everyone for the info & opinions.

Pissy

Quote from: Chovie D on June 14, 2013, 10:30:05 AM
Quote from: RAGER on June 14, 2013, 10:20:33 AM

no noise at all on the two chicken salds i have left.
My frined is really good at rehousing, fixing etc. he told me the danos were a pain n the ass to rehouse.
The pots, jacks  and switch are soldered directly to the board.
i know it can be done, but its not an easy one. Ive seen people make multi effcts with em. get three or four and string em together in one box.

LordFinesse took a tuna melt and put it in a Morley Wah chassis with the speed wired in to the rotator pot for what folks are now calling "expression". Pretty cool set up, and it was actually an original idea to us anyways. We'd never seen it done. Now though, that kind of thing is all over the place with expression out jacks and whatnot. It make broken wah pedals worth having.
Vinyls.   deal.

Baltar

This is my buddy's Lovepedal Pickle Vibe.  I don't think he's running any other pedals, just straight into a '69 Traynor Voicemaster and a Heritage Celestion 12".

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Andrew Blakk

I'm using a Lovepedal Vibe as well. But I think mine is quite early built. Works/sounds fine though.