Torche, KENmode, lo Pan 6/13/13 ...bam's place, west chester, PA

Started by SabbathJeff, June 14, 2013, 09:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SabbathJeff

My neck fucking hurts so I'm just in from half a j, 'scuse me while I whip this out...also though, is anyone reading these?  Is this another one of them thar new fangled fancy schmancy pointless posts?

Arrived early as fuck because my brother thinks that from north wales to west chester is 2 hours in rush hour on 202.

It was 1 hour, maybe a little more.  We didn't even use a quarter tank to and fro.  

Whatever, that's not the point.  First off, cheers to steve brooks, and the singer and guitarist in the mighty lo Pan.  You guys chatted up a shitstorm about labels, releases and all the goods in between and for that shit least of all, but chiefly rocking my face, you bearded fucks hurt my shit last night, and I cannot thank you enough.

This was another one of those 'weird bills' for SabbathJeff's dollar, lo Pan's mighty bearded midpaced mid toned burl rock, followed by KENmode's abrasive, noisy, blessed black wings-esque derived sounds, topped by Torche's anthemic super smooth soaring pop/doom(?) (I still don't get it, but I love it).  Yeah, weird bill absolutely.

lo Pan came on a little late (I saw those fuckers in their lo Van, and it smelled super nice outside is all I'm saying).  Regardless, they proceeded to bust out three new songs I believe, 'The Duke', and one or two others.  Wanted to save a little something for Torche, but yes indeed, that set hurt something good.  6 songs, 1/2 hour, thank you.

KENmode came on shortly thereafter, and did whatever it is that they do.  I'm not going to say anything bad about the band, I think in my first life I could have appreciated what it is that they do.  But last night the screaming juxtaposed with Torche's/lo Pan's singing was a harsh abrupt turn into a place I wasn't in the mood/mind/place for, probably.  It's probably a lot clearer on record, but based on the set I decided afterward to not try an album, and they had shit tons of merch too.  I'll still try an album, still undecided on which of these I might be able to digest.  I find now that I listen to less Burning Witch, more Wino folk, I think my calm mind is reflecting outward to my musical tastes, and trying to replicate the calmness, not the anger of yore.  I mean what I say and I say what I mean, so when I say, no offense KENmode, you know I am being sincere.

Torche capped the short evening (all ages shows?  11 pm?  3 bands?  I guess okay?) and proceeded to tear through Kicking, Grenades, In Return, Harmonslaught, Charge of the Brown Recluse (!) and I think 3 others, maybe 4, mixed from songs..., and harmonicraft.  They slowed down that massive riff in Charge of the Brown Recluse (along with Mentor being my two favorite Torche songs still today) by about 30 percent I'd say, and doomed it all the way the fuck out, like when I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse playing keep on rocking in the free world, it's really a treat when one of those riffs that you think should be slower/would be heavier, and then you hear it, and you're like, yeah, that's about as awesome as what I thought.  It's one of those memories.  Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't remember them playing this when they opened for corrosion of conformity (march 12?), and I was really glad to hear it last night.  That riff and I tight, it's in my head at some point during the day, been that way since what '08, 5 years now?  Man, so righteous.

Scored me my merch, and got on out, in the rain, on the road home, back a bit after the witching hour.

Really fun to see lo Pan and Torche on the same bill, the other times I saw both bands they each didn't belong on the bill, but here together last night, they fit really nicely with each other's sounds.  I think this match and tour should be caught for it's bookends and then if you can access the darker side, groove on KENmode as a bonus.  I would these two to team up again.

I suppose that's it.

I'm fina get some coffee, one of you fuckers better recognize the lengths I go to for the stoner rock.  Do you have any idea any idea how hard it was to type that much stoned?  Do you think I want to be sitting here, reliving last night perpetually with you?  Of course not, I'd rather I was at a damn gig, I'm no writer, this stuff isn't my bag baby, etc.  

With that, if you've finished, have a lovely day, and go catch this tour.

Also, weren't Rosetta supposed to be on this bill?  What happened with that?

Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

xenotype

Thanks for the review, jeff. There's a lot more to seeing a live show than what you see in a uploaded youtube vid.

Saw this lineup un brooklyn friday night.   Was looking forward to lo-pan and Torche. Lo-pan is really growing on me.  I mean I've had the Salvador album for a while, but every listen is a little better. Seemed like super cool guys.
Their singer has a great voice.

Ken mode is intense. Not my cup of tea, but i can see why they have a following.  The singer/guitarist gave the crowd a death stare as he belted out the growling lyrics.  Had a song or two where he played a second bass in addition to the bassist.

Torche sounded okay. Its tough when you're playing in a concrete walled warehouse.  The mix will never sound as good as on the record.  Someone turned the fog machine to EXTREME. Could barely see the stage for half the performance. I had fun but I hope to see lo-pan abd Torche again someplace with better acoustics.

SabbathJeff

Hey thanks for reading brother.  Where in my old hood of Brooklyn did you catch this?  Was this your first time seeing torche and lo pan?  This was my second for both; the sound is really good at the Note but no way in hell am i supporting a professional idiot by buying another ticket to his club.  I learn from my mistakes.  Bam's probably a nice dude from what I've heard, it's just...I don't know.  Any one of us could do what he did and be as big as he is.  Yeah, I can't skate for shit, but I sure as hell can look like an idiot, camera or no cameras.  Bah.  Lo Pan and Torche made me forget about where I was anyway.  It was a fun time.  Plus, I've got Mount Carmel on Friday, so expect another stoner rock live review from yours truly.
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

xenotype

The show was at a room called 285 Kent in Williamsburg.  Basically a bare warehouse room with some cool murals on the walls.  Not set up for good sound at all so I give extra credit to the sound guy for getting even a passable result.  It was my first time seeing both lo-pan and Torche.  Been listening to lo-pan's Salvador album since it came out - what is that, two years ago?  Cant wait for them to release a new one.
Picked up Torche's Harmonicraft after a quick listen last year.  I think I blew these guys off a couple years ago. Don't know what I was thinking. Glad I gave them another chance.  I dig the upbeat sound mixed with that crazy heavy fuzz bass tone. How does it sound triumphant and doomy at the same time? Don't know, but I like it.

SabbathJeff

Salvador is great, and their new one the guitarist said will be next year sometime.

As for torche, I've got mostly everything because I love the band, but I'd highly recommend the first two to start, just keep going from there.  The S/T is amazing, and it's followup, Meanderthal, the last with second guitarist Juan Montoya i believe, is also quite the exercise in pop/doom or whatever you want to call it.

Never heard of 285 Kent, must be weird playing in a warehouse.
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

xenotype

I have harmonicraft and meanderthal.  Will have to check out their s/t.

SabbathJeff

After the S/T but before Meanderthal came the In Return EP, also to be heard.  The S/T was for me just wonderful, I still play it frequently.  Songs like Charge Of The Brown Recluse and Mentor just inventing this genre of pop/doom.  Get the re-release, it's probably all you can find now, but it has three extra songs, all awesome.  Before Torche of course came Floor, and they as well need to be heard to be believed...

On Songs For Singles, they were dealing with the loss of Juan and being a trio, but it's also a good record.  I'm still digesting Harmonicraft.  Also necessary as far as i'm concerned is the Harmonslaught 7" on Amnesian, they're selling it on this tour for a mere 5 bux, and it is amazing.  The song Harmonslaught in particular being uber heavy, yet so fucking catchy.  You can hear that track but not the b -side on their bandcamp, so you do need the vinyl if you have a player.  I really don't understand how they do it yet, and they seem to be the only ones doing it, which is why I'm REALLY looking forward to the new Floor album.  Steve Brooks is a doomed King Midas.

Happy Hunting, xenotype.
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

Uncle Buck

SabbathJeff

You've got that, brother- next one round august 5 for you thanks for reading
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

ron

I was at the Brooklyn show... I think that space might have been the old Glasslands (like 8+ years ago)? A lot of those places look the same to me. I caught Inter Arma... drummer was the guitarist from The Might Could. He had a ridiculous kit, and was decent (although he had waaay more pieces than necessary). The singer ruined it for me. I just couldn't stand his screaming; I do like some bands with lousy vocals, but just couldn't get past his. Lo Pan was the reason I was there. I loove their albums (not the first one with the old singer, though). And, they are a can't miss live band for me. Not sure how many times, but this was probably number 7, or thereabouts... they just keep getting better. My only complaint was I would've liked to hear another song- the set seemed kinda short. I took off afterwards because I don't like Ken Mode, and I'm so-so on Torche. The last time I saw them about 4 years ago, they didn't do that bomb-string song, and that was my favorite part of the set. So, I could give or take Torche now.
Focus on the riff.