champong!

Started by deleted account, June 20, 2013, 05:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

First thing morning make wang rike wood.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

man go through turn still sideways going to Bankok

RAGER

This thread inspired me to make one of my korean-ish soups.  Super spicy with beef, shrimp, fresh made seafood stock, barely cooked udon and some other stuff.

No Focus Pocus

deleted account

damn that looks good.  what are those meatball-lookin' things in the middle?

RAGER

Leftover batter fried zucchini.
No Focus Pocus

ladysloth

how did you make your seafood stock?

RAGER

Onions,celery, garlic, carrots, salmon carcass, shrimp shells, salt, pepper, bay,........

Then added gochujang, fish sauce, and some sambal olek for the base.
No Focus Pocus

ladysloth

nice combo, I've been trying to make seafood stock for ramen and it's never quite seafoodie enough. I bet fish sauce would do the trick.

RAGER

Shrimp shells seem to be the fishy additive I've found.  So when ever I make shrimp the shells go in the freezer.  You can add them to chicken stock too and you still taste the fishy.
No Focus Pocus

The Shocker

I've made shrimp stock numerous times, occasionally it gets a little iodiney.

ladysloth

iodiney?

I save shrimp tails, lobster and crab shells and any shells from mussels etc in the freezer. defrost and then put them in a baking dish, add butter and roast for a while til the shrimp and lobster shells are a bright color. take out, deglaze pan, add more spices and water; then reduce it. a little sake or awamori if I have it. still not seafood enough for me, I guess I need more shells or to use a fish carcass or two. 

The Shocker

Sometimes shrimp has an iodine taste to it and boiling those shells seems to concentrate it.