Weedeater & ASG @ Soda Bar...San Diego

Started by Ryno, July 10, 2013, 05:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryno

Just found out about this show two days ago.  I've seen Weedeater a couple of times and dig what those guys do.  I've also seen ASG before, and while they're not really my cup of tea, I do find them enjoyable.

Lo-Pan was not part of this bill for some reason.  Another band, called Griever, opened the show and we missed them.  Walked in right as ASG were setting up.  I went with my cousin who is 10 years younger, grew up in Florida and N.Carolina, and loves ASG.  We scored a couple of spots at the bar, which looks right at the stage, and got a couple of drinks as ASG came to life.  They started with a new one, then played a bunch of stuff from all their albums.  I'm not all that familiar with their catalog, even though I have 3 of their discs, but recognized a few of the tunes.  The one song, that got me hooked on these guys years ago, is Species American.  And for some reason they never play it live.  This show was no exception.  Kind of a bummer.  Otherwise it was a good set, great guitar work, killer drums, and overall fun time.

Weedeater must be seen live to be believed.  My cousin had not seen them.  He does not care for them much.  But as soon as Dixie Dave started warming up, my cuz got a little grin going.  As they settled in, and the sonic waves of feedback washed over us, his little grin turned into a big grin, and then the place erupted with the onslaught known as WEEDEATER.  Those guys know how to put out some serious fucking sound.  Started with a few off Jason...the Dragon, then a blistering version of God Luck and Good Speed and Wizard Fight.  Then they blew the doors off the place with a slothified version of Time Served, and then one of my favorites, Weed Monkey!  They finished with Gimme Back My Bullets and it was done. 

The new guy is an animal on the kit.  He was looking like he was going to pass out after the first two songs.  Not sure if he was on something or hungover, but he sat back down and proceeded to beat the living shit out of his drums with no problems whatsoever.  I thought it was cool that his kit was set up sideways, on the front of the stage.  Interesting perspective and it put him right in between Shep and Dave.  No back seat for that guy.  Sticks were shattering, shards were flying, and skins were suffering.  Solid performance from all of them.  Good times were had by all.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

SabbathJeff

Thanks for the review man, sounds solid.  I'd love to have seen the weedeater machine on this jaunt, but I don't think they were anywhere near the northeast.  Feb 11 at Santos they were amazing, and then opening for Vitus @ Vitus was just incredible.  Great fucking band.
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

Ryno

Quote from: SabbathJeff on July 10, 2013, 09:14:56 PM
Thanks for the review man, sounds solid.  I'd love to have seen the weedeater machine on this jaunt, but I don't think they were anywhere near the northeast.  Feb 11 at Santos they were amazing, and then opening for Vitus @ Vitus was just incredible.  Great fucking band.

Weedeater has been out west a few times, but ASG hardly ever gets out this way.  Fortunate to have caught the show.  Cool bar, good beers, good vibes, good night!
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

deleted account