The Pretty Things - S.F. Sorrow

Started by The Shocker, February 16, 2011, 02:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

One of the more underappreciated concept/rock opera albums.  Surprisingly heavy at times & the story is really good.  Bigelf are obviously fans, any others here?

goldwater

great record. really like balloon burning, she says good morning, loneliest person. the whole thing is great though.everything flows together. the next record "parachute" is just as good. so were thier singles in the sixties. sadly underappreciated, pioneering band.
we all lost in 64

The Shocker

Parachute is pretty good, have a CD with bonus tracks.  Cold Stone might be my favorite track by them period.  Was that a single or a B-side?  It's one of the bonus tracks on the cd.

goldwater

cold stone is unfamiliar to me. could it be something they recorded during the sessions, but then left off. i don't have any bonus traks with my copy.i'll have to check it out.it has to be good.
we all lost in 64

goldwater

just heard it. loved it. really riffy, much more than they usually were. found out that it was the b side of a single called " october 26". also just listened to that song, it was a slower blues that was just incredible. i found it on youtube. check it out.
we all lost in 64

The Shocker

Thanks, I will.  Have you heard the Philip Debarge album?  Surprisingly good, sounds like a mix between S.F. Sorrow and Parachute, which it should since it was from that era.

goldwater

have'nt heard that one. is that the album where the pretty things were the studio band for a singer-songwriter type of guy? i'll check it out. i'm sure it's good because these guys just did'nt fuck up. these posts have reminded me that i need to know more about them.
we all lost in 64

The Shocker

Close.  From what I read he was a young, rich international playboy.  The Pretty Things wrote all of the music/lyrics and provided backup vocals.  The good thing is that Debarge has a decent voice, so it sounds like a Pretty Things album.

L. Ron

I love the Phillipe Debarge record and could not recommend it highly enough if you are a Pretty Things fan.
The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do and doing it with the people that you love.