Main Menu

Let's Talk Sleeper Amps

Started by morgantician, July 17, 2013, 03:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morgantician

What's everyone favorite overpowered, underspent sleeper amp. Mine was forever the Butcher, but its becoming less and less of a sleeper these days.

Mr. Foxen

Burmans. Was Sound City, but they stopped being sleepers. Then Laney AOR, but they stopped being sleepers. And Crate Power blocks, which are stopping being sleepers.

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

The Bandit

My SG Systems/CMI amp when it was working.  Super loud and clean. You can find them for a couple hundred once in a while.

It's now waiting for SunnJake's loving touch.

RAGER

It seems the obvious are the VTM's even if they're Peavey
No Focus Pocus

The Bandit

Ain't nuthin wrong with Peavey.

VOLVO)))

vtm, rockmasters, butchers, heritage vtx, mace, ampeg ss70/140, ampeg vh-140C, Crate 130gxl.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Riffer

My "Sleeper" stack. For me,  Ain't nuthin can touch the Peaveys for bang for the buck. Not a fukin thing.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Jake

poop.

The Riffer

Jake, I'll agree on the Classic 400. Had one, and sold it to spite my bass player. Dumb move.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

rayinreverse

I just broke my Butcher out last night after having it sit on my bench for a year.
Its a great sounding amp.
SOmething is still a little wrong with mine though. If I crank the post gain, I get a terrible noise.
But at 100 Pre, and 50% post, it was sounding nice.

VOLVO)))

Those are brrrrright. I yanked the bright caps outta mine.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

my sleeper selections will be in the lower wattage range

RAGER

had the chance to pick one of those Musicmasters up a couple years ago for cheap and I didn't.  Super cool little amp.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

they are about $300 on CL...but people are becoming aware of them.
They are loud enough to gig in a regular rock band. not loud enough for doom

RAGER

i am super enjoying my tube reel to reel for $80 ;D.  Can't wait to find a 2x12 for it though.  Gonna look so cool in the living room.  That shit's a sleeper for sure.
No Focus Pocus

FullCustom

I built this for a customer.

Fender M-80 cab, vintage alnico II speakers, Conn organ stereo power amp (side-A 7868 side-B 7027A) and a custom built stereo preamp with positive feedback channel coupling.

FullCustom

Peavey Bravo. Looks just like a Bandit but the bravo is all tube.

Corey Y

The Peavey Butcher and VTM series and the Laney AOR are still tops for me. You can still get all of them for around $300 or under with some patience. All great amps for tone, reliability and volume from my personal experience. Plus, they're not "rare". They're everywhere on the used market and they don't have a huge cool factor for Johnny Suburb, like Marshall or Mesa, so most people are trying to get rid of them to save up for something else. The only bad thing about the Peavey stuff is that a lot of original owners are always trying to bundle the cab with them too. They're not bad cabs at all, it just usually drives up the price and lowers the "hot deal" factor vs actual worth a bit.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

taylo)))r

I'm super excited to get my Traynor YBA-1, which I would definitely consider a lesser known kick ass amp.
(insert interesting quote)

FullCustom

Quote from: taylo)))r on July 17, 2013, 05:40:45 PM
I'm super excited to get my Traynor YBA-1, which I would definitely consider a lesser known kick ass amp.
Those are great amps. I have a YBA-3, I love it. I need a good cab to go with it. Not sure what to get.

taylo)))r

Quote from: RacerX on July 17, 2013, 05:12:11 PM
Silvertone 1484:

What do these bad boys sound like? There is one for sale locally. I was going to buy a 65 reissue twin locally next week, but saw this pop up for the same price.
(insert interesting quote)

RAGER

I see those Silvertones as being fairly popular.  Are those el84 or 6v6?
No Focus Pocus

The Shocker

That Silvertone is speaking to me.  I love the oddballs. How much do those usually go for.