Main Menu

Let's Talk Sleeper Amps

Started by morgantician, July 17, 2013, 03:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xayk

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 05, 2013, 07:25:30 PM
Super Reverbs and Eric Johnson strats, and one dude with a SRV song.

You've just described my gf's uncle, provided his backup guitar is a Bonnie Raitt strat.

Instant Dan

I've seen those Budda amps go for cheap, sometimes crazy cheap on websites. I think people are starting to catch on.

A lot of the older, not as desirable, Mesa Boogies can still be had for a great deal.

the diddler

where the fuck did chovie go?  any discussion of blues lawyers and/or blues bears is lacking without his input.  fuck!

liquidsmoke- I got some hot tube amps FOR SALE!!!!  Guess I should put 'em in the buy/sell thread..

liquidsmoke

Quote from: the diddler on December 06, 2013, 08:03:58 PM
liquidsmoke- I got some hot tube amps FOR SALE!!!!  Guess I should put 'em in the buy/sell thread..

I have very little money at the moment but please do.

liquidsmoke

Peavey Windsor?? I never heard of this thing before tonight.

dogfood

Quote from: liquidsmoke on December 07, 2013, 04:58:50 AM
Never knew Peavey made a 100 watt 'Classic' series head

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEAVEY-CLASSIC-100-ALL-TUBE-100-WATT-USA-GUITAR-HEAD-/111228507301?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e5bc54a5

eight 6bq5 power tubes?

And, I liked my Carvin X100B a bunch, zero comlaints.
Problem solving whiskey!

lordfinesse

I had one of those X100B amps.. Still around here somewhere I think. Great amp, no complaints at all. Well... maybe the gray carpet covering..
Billy Squier 24/7

RAGER

Every time I see one o' them x100's for $300 I think I should buy one just cuz.  But do I need another 100 watter?  No.  But the next VTM60 I see...........
No Focus Pocus

dogfood

some of the x100 owners prefer playing them at 50% or 25%, personally I think they are idiots.  But, to each their own.
Problem solving whiskey!

liquidsmoke

Can you X100 folks give us a quick overview on them?

Even knowing nothing about them that VTR2800 on ebay would be mighty temping if I had the cash.

This business of discovering 100 watt tubes amps that go for under $400 is nice. A fella could justify buying and using 2 of them.

Anyone here have or ever play that 150 watt Bugera?

liquidsmoke

Peavey Valveking? They seem to go for around $300 used. Today Musician's Fiend is selling them for that price new.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/peavey-valveking-100-head

My credit card trigger finger is itching. Surely that old Carvin on ebay for $350 would be a more worthy target though no?

edit: the Carvin VTR-2800 does not have a tube preamp. Weird.

dogfood

I'll bet a gut shot would be helpfull, one of these amp gurus here could chime in, eh?  I'd bet the iron on the old carvin is better.
Problem solving whiskey!

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MichaelZodiac

If you're happy with your live tone maybe just get a low wattage pedal platform? I get that you want to use another amplifier on stage but it might be easier this way?
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 07, 2013, 02:17:47 PM
Valveking is passable.

Higher quality than the Windsor I assume? For $300 new I can't really go wrong. It has an actual clean channel, that would be nice.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on December 07, 2013, 02:22:30 PM
If you're happy with your live tone maybe just get a low wattage pedal platform? I get that you want to use another amplifier on stage but it might be easier this way?

I'm using a bass amp which is okay with a high gain pedal and live we crank super loud so it being SS is nice for tightness but for recording and for clean parts it doesn't cut it.

dogfood

4 major sounds got by my mid 80s x100b, stock el34s-italic times new roman lettering-no carpet.

1)Rythmn channel-this is the clean everyone likes and crank it up for a very good od ie pedal platform.  I never used it bright.
2)Lead channel-Marshall-low imput, none of the bells and whistles engaged, dimed baby dimed, big and ballsy, plays well with pedals.
3)Lead channel-ride the lighning-any input,all the bells and whistles engaged, dimed, eq to your hearts content, uhhh hope you like early metallica.  does not play well with pedals.  when someone says they hate this amp they have engaged everything, pushed everything to 11, and wonder why they can't get the tone of a triple rectumfier.  facepalm.  ps the all out distortion is awesome if a one trick pony.
4)somewhere inbetween 2 and 3-this is where you will live.  the middle ground that works for your ear and pedals.  distortion you can dial in.  

graphic eq-assignable with toggle switch, active, slightly noisy at extreme highs. prefer to use with gentle touch. can acheive extreme bass.
reverb-spring, exactly what you want and expect.  no let down here
presence-hell yeah.  works.  had mine dialed way down.  
100-50-25 switch-yup you can play 25 watts and not get arrested.  100 is the real thing though, no compression, no dampening of tone.
foot switch-must have.

got mine local for $400 with a home built 4x12 loaded with throw away eminence speakers.  

cons- not the loudest amp on the planet (though earplugs ARE needed), does not have the orange/matamp tone, is not a modern metal amp, are poo poo'd by everyone!
Problem solving whiskey!

liquidsmoke

^ thanks for the review

Another amp for the sleeper list- Peavey XXX? A local guitar player uses one with a pedal and slays. Guitar Center has one listed used for $250.

Danny G

The new run Acoustic B200H has a lot of bang for the buck.

Finally got mine back from the shop after 2+ years being out of commission.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

da_qtip

Theres a Peavey Butcher for $250 near me. I'm a little tempted but that might be too much amp for me.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: da_qtip on December 09, 2013, 06:49:43 PM
Theres a Peavey Butcher for $250 near me. I'm a little tempted but that might be too much amp for me.

Good price. Play it first if you can, buy it if you like it and just don't turn it up that loud.

da_qtip

I'm thinking I'll wait and see if it's still up after Christmas. I shouldn't be buying stuff for myself this time of year.