Main Menu

Let's Talk Sleeper Amps

Started by morgantician, July 17, 2013, 03:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

I'm really perplexed by your search.  It seems as though what you're trying to get away from is what most of us are searching for.  I've found mine and it's all tube baby!

Also have you ever considered not having your guitars volume all the way up?  Sorry if you've already considered this but sometimes the fundamentals need to be looked into.  Most tube amps are very responsive to this.  No need for two channels for me.
No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

Quote from: RAGER on January 11, 2014, 03:44:55 PM
I'm really perplexed by your search.  It seems as though what you're trying to get away from is what most of us are searching for.  I've found mine and it's all tube baby!

Ah but you see I'm actually trying to get halfway back to that tube magic! SS power headroom and tube preamp cream. If any of you get the chance to play a Mesa Studio into a SS power amp please give it a try, they sing. Creamy sustain and a huge variety of tones on tap. I mentioned before too, I ran the preamp of my Laney GH50 into a SS power amp a couple of times(a no no) and at low to moderate volumes the tone was almost identical. If I ever want to start or join a more stoner metal type band I'd want that looser tube power amp tone and would probably get a vintage 5150; no boost, overdrive, or distortion pedal needed.

Quote from: RAGER on January 11, 2014, 03:44:55 PM
Also have you ever considered not having your guitars volume all the way up?  Sorry if you've already considered this but sometimes the fundamentals need to be looked into.  Most tube amps are very responsive to this.  No need for two channels for me.

To reduce power amp breakup? It would also reduce the doom crunch. But yeah it's good for cleaner parts for sure. I just kick off my distortion pedal instead or with my Laney would kick off the second gain stage.

VOLVO)))

Let's be real, how loud is loud to you? Is a Half cranked 100W amp not loud enough, even with two cabs?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr. Foxen

I like SS pre and valve power section just fine while it works. Valve pre/SS power seems worst of both worlds.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 11, 2014, 04:20:13 PM
Let's be real, how loud is loud to you? Is a Half cranked 100W amp not loud enough, even with two cabs?

They vary but half cranked is probably loud enough on some amps. Some amps are also going gangbusters breakup at half cranked too. It's possible that the Carvin's clean channel will do the trick but either way I want an all tube head for other uses.

I'm mighty curious about them EH 300V tube pedals. Some other companies also make similar high voltage units. Some people do like the cheaper low voltage ones too, could be worth a try if I could find a one used for really cheap although I suspect most of them sound more fizzy than rich.

Regarding cabs, I would be better off with two 4x12s rather than two 2x12s but I hate lifting 4x12s up steps by myself and sometimes it has to be done.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 11, 2014, 04:29:46 PM
I like SS pre and valve power section just fine while it works.

A tight or super powerful valve power section would probably work for my situation.

Valve pre/SS power seems worst of both worlds.

It can be magic, I've heard it.

I know you all think I'm crazy but this isn't a crisis, just trying to sweeten things up. I'll figure it out.  :)

VOLVO)))

Well, 2x12s are your loudness problem. 100%. You'd be begging for 2 2x12s worth of volume if you had a full stack worth of speakers. Your headroom issue would go away, too, because more volume gets pumped, so you don't have to drive the amp as hard.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dogfood

Carvin TS100 tube power amp put some clean glass in there voila!  Peavy, Marshall, and Mesa all make a tube power amp.  I'd kill for two of these babies.
Problem solving whiskey!

liquidsmoke

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 11, 2014, 05:30:32 PM
Well, 2x12s are your loudness problem. 100%. You'd be begging for 2 2x12s worth of volume if you had a full stack worth of speakers. Your headroom issue would go away, too, because more volume gets pumped, so you don't have to drive the amp as hard.

I agree that it would help but with some amps I think I'd still get too much breakup. I could get two more 2x12s  :D

The one thing I do have is height so a speaker is in my face standing up. The idea may seem dumb but they only weight about 65 pounds each and of course are shorter and narrower than most 4x12s. Loaded with 150 watt Swamp Thangs.

xayk

I like SS pre and valve power section just fine while it works. Valve pre/SS power seems worst of both worlds.

It took me years and years to figure that out, and it hit me like an epiphany when I was listening to some shitty band play shitty amps via an FM radio signal.  Not an ideal situation, but all of a sudden, I understood.

That isn't to say that liquid is/is not searching for that sound, but it's probably relevant when the question of 'sleeper' amps comes up and various Peavey (or Music Man) things fit the bill as good sounding and affordable. Generally.

Swamp Things are pretty efficient, too - 102-ish spl? You're not going to get great speaker break up, but you're not going to be hurting for perceived volume, either.

RacerX

Quote from: dogfood on January 11, 2014, 05:52:46 PM
Carvin TS100 tube power amp put some clean glass in there voila!  Peavy, Marshall, and Mesa all make a tube power amp.  I'd kill for two of these babies.

My Mesa 50/50 doesn't "break up" (saturate the power tubes) unless I use the club setting (15 watts per side). I mean, it will, but I have to turn it up to 8 or above on both sides, which would clear any small to medium room.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: xayk on January 11, 2014, 07:20:18 PM
Swamp Things are pretty efficient, too - 102-ish spl? You're not going to get great speaker break up, but you're not going to be hurting for perceived volume, either.

As far as I can tell they are relatively loud. I think they break up a little bit at high volumes. I wanted darker toned loud high wattage handling speakers and I think I made a good choice. Had Manowars in a cab and they seemed too bright.

moose23

Can I suggest one of those Art tube preamps, go for about 30 dollars and you'll get your tube compression (or warmth) without getting dirty.

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

MichaelZodiac

Is a Peavey Mace useable for bass? There's 1 for sale locally and it comes with two T300 speaker columns. I've been thinking about adding another amp + cab so I can split my signal, run fuzz through the both of 'em, split the signal after my fuzz pedals and run modulation pedals to only 1 amp.

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

liquidsmoke

Trace Elliot Super Tramp $200
I don't know anything about these but thought someone here might be interested for the price.

http://music.bqturner.com/ProductDetail_i956858

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!