Recommended Recording Studios: West Coast Edition

Started by clockwork green, July 21, 2013, 06:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

So I've got a couple of bands that might be ready to record by the end of the year. We're in the Bay Area but going up or down the coast might make for a nice change of scenery to record and maybe get some shows in. I'd like to get a list of quality studios to check out from people with either direct experience or with trusted friends that have actually used the studios and somewhat recently. So any place on or near the west coast would be great, big or small, cheap or high end.

What I'm looking for: good sounding large live room, preferably analog options (not ruling out digital but just about everyone has that), large mic/preamp selection, an engineer willing to try some unusual/creative methods to get good tracks, a general good vibe to the space to foster creativity.

Where I've recorded: Ear Hammer in West Oakland with Sal Raya. Nice large live room, not the nest ambience or the largest mic selection but Sal knows how to get the heavy stuff done right without turning things to mud. Sal had a lot of good mixing ideas and he really records bass well. It's an inexpensive studio but you'll get a high quality recording. I've a lot of other people that have used him and Greg (I forget his last name) also records there and they've all been really good.

I've also recorded with Tim Geeen but that was at his old studio in SF so I'm not sure how his new one relates.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

franksnbeans

Are you looking for a studio or an engineer, or an engineer with a studio?  Are you willing to pay for both separately?

The last place I recorded at the New Improved Studios in Emeryville.  They have tape there.

http://newimprovedrecording.com/

Chovie D

"up and down the coast"...so like the entire west coast?

Seattle has:
Witch Ape-run by Tad Dolye of TAD fame.
Soundhouse-jack Endino is the engineer
Fastback-I think Kurt Bloch from teh Fastbacks runs this?
Egg-run by Conrad Uno
Bear Creek-Soundgarden, crapton and lionel ritchie had hit records here.
Theres a few in Tacoma and Olympia also.
Cannot remember what Steve Fisks place is called.
Calvin from K records probably has a studio too.