Wild and Game Meats

Started by NCR600, July 26, 2013, 07:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCR600

What's in your freezer?
I normally have some Kangaroo back straps, and a wild rabbit or two. A recent foraging trip to the supermarket turned up 8 quails and some fre range spatch cocked poussins, although that's just chicken.
I like to have goat and venison around too, but it's harder to buy and my supply is dependent on if I know someone who is going hunting, something I haven't done myself in 10 years now.

Kangaroo is good meat, very lean, high in protein & iron, and roughly interchangeable with venison in recipes. Needs to be cooked rare or it drys out, but works well in stews. Can't be farmed at all, so it's always sustainable and is probably more ethical than most meat. I actually prefer it to beef now.
Anyone ever cooked it over there?

MadJohnShaft

Jealous, I don't know at hunters.

The local butcher has som Elk in the freezer - one strip of crown roast for $157.... He said came back from Alaska so very expensive. 
Some days chickens, some days feathers

mortlock

Quote from: NCR600 on July 26, 2013, 07:56:20 AM
What's in your freezer?
I normally have some Kangaroo back straps, and a wild rabbit or two. A recent foraging trip to the supermarket turned up 8 quails and some fre range spatch cocked poussins, although that's just chicken.
I like to have goat and venison around too, but it's harder to buy and my supply is dependent on if I know someone who is going hunting, something I haven't done myself in 10 years now.

Kangaroo is good meat, very lean, high in protein & iron, and roughly interchangeable with venison in recipes. Needs to be cooked rare or it drys out, but works well in stews. Can't be farmed at all, so it's always sustainable and is probably more ethical than most meat. I actually prefer it to beef now.
Anyone ever cooked it over there?
no kangaroos in my neck of the woods..not even at the zoo. 

deleted account

don't you have a McDonald's nearby?

RAGER

I'm usually in contact with somebody who hunts so i normally have something around.  Right now I've got some duck breasts in the freezer.  had some bear a while back.  Will probably have some elk and venison this fall.  I would love to try some 'roo.
No Focus Pocus

black

Quote from: priest on July 26, 2013, 12:43:52 PM
don't you have a McDonald's nearby?

:D :D

Not too keen on wild game. Too gamey for my tastes. My freezer is however always stocked with some fancy pants, grass fed bison I order from a fancy pants buffalo ranch in Colorado. That stuff is pretty darn delicious.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

deleted account

1.  are there McDonalds in Australia?
2.  if so, were they ever rumored to have made their burgers out of cow meat?

khoomeizhi

i've had quite a bit of a number of things (though no 'roo!), but i don't think i've got anything wild in the freezer right now. my attempted rabbit snaring this spring didn't pan out...i still have about a pint of bear lard, though. making tostones from green plaintain, fried in bear lard? bad fucking ass.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

NCR600

Quote from: priest on July 26, 2013, 04:31:35 PM
1.  are there McDonalds in Australia?
2.  if so, were they ever rumored to have made their burgers out of cow meat?
1. Yes
2. They use 100% Australian Beef. The rumor is that McDonalds started a company called 100% Australian Beef  so they could import condemned beef carcasses from Brazil and still claim to use "100% Australian Beef"

I want some bear fat now!

deleted account

that's fuckin' scary.  that is, if "condemned" means what I think it does.  I wonder if every country/ continent has its own Mickey D's meat rumor.  I wonder what Canada's is.

back to Aussie game, what other marsupials are fair game?  any banned from hunting?  are there possums down there?  what the fuck is a platypus?  is it good eatin'?

The Shocker

Eat a lot of venison, it's real common here.  Have had turtle, squirrel, dove, frog legs.

Demon Lung

Quote from: The Shocker on July 26, 2013, 11:04:54 PM
Eat a lot of venison, it's real common here.  Have had turtle, squirrel, dove, frog legs.
ive had all those. Where I'm from venison is called deer meat though. The good ole boys would look at you like you are stupid if you ask for venison. I've also had alligator and yak.

NCR600

Quote from: priest on July 26, 2013, 10:05:22 PM

back to Aussie game, what other marsupials are fair game?  any banned from hunting?  are there possums down there?  what the fuck is a platypus?  is it good eatin'?
Platypus tastes like a cross between Koala and Dolphin.
Pretty much all native animals are protected, except for Kangaroos, some kinds of Wallaby and some species of duck. The British in their infinite wisdom released rabbits, hares, pigs, goats, European and Asiatic deer species, camels and water buffalo here, so if you have a gun you're not going to go hungry. Kangaroos love farming country, so there's literally millions more than there should be, so they're considered a pest. It's only been in the last 10 years or so that they've been allowed to sell them for human consumption, most went for pet food, or were left to rot where they fell.

Ryno

I just seared up some Elk back strap the other night.  Buddy brought it to me from NM.  He's always got a freezer full of wild game as he's a wild animal killer.  Almost all of the critters he takes down with a bow.  Back strap is absolutely amazing.  Just salt, pepper, and a grill or hot skillet.  And a tab of butter or oil.  Barely seared and always rare-med.rare. 

I've got another package of Elk back strap, some elk breakfast sausage w/green chile and some elk burger left.  The burger is going into a spicy chili recipe and the breakfast sausage will be with gravy and biscuits.
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

The Shocker

Quote from: Demon Lung on July 27, 2013, 03:39:51 AM
ive had all those. Where I'm from venison is called deer meat though. The good ole boys would look at you like you are stupid if you ask for venison. I've also had alligator and yak.

Funny, everybody calls it venison here.  Yeah, had alligator too.

Demon Lung

Quote from: The Shocker on July 28, 2013, 01:43:53 PM
Quote from: Demon Lung on July 27, 2013, 03:39:51 AM

Funny, everybody calls it venison here.  Yeah, had alligator too.
you are from the south. I am from the sticks.

juan11

Jack in the Box went through a kangaroo meat rumor when I was a kid. NOBODY I knew would eat it.

Surprised that location pulled through--  it's still there.
srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

VOLVO)))

To my vegan girlfriend's dismay, i have deer sausage in the freezer, and lamb in the fridge.

Local lamb, too.

I might go get some Bison for tonight...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ryno

If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

deleted account

Quote from: juan11 on July 28, 2013, 02:27:42 PM
Jack in the Box went through a kangaroo meat rumor when I was a kid. NOBODY I knew would eat it.

so how did that work for the tacos?  kangaroo meat dog food?

if anything, the Mickey D's 'roo-mor made me wanna go more.  I don't know why

RAGER

Quote from: juan11 on July 28, 2013, 02:27:42 PM

Surprised that location pulled through--  it's still there.

That's weird.  I figure if you eat at those places, you've already given up caring what goes in your body.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Next to me on the airplane was a pregnant couple eating stinky McD fries, yuck.

Then they ate two burgers another fry and two sodas.  I wanted to kill those fools. Gross.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

James1214

I love rabbit, I usually bag a dozen bunnies to bring home when I take trips to the family ranch in Nevada, but I last went in Feb and we only took 3 on the entire trip. Just enough for one stew. Wild is awesome, but you gotta braise them for a long time to break down all the connective tissue.

I do a seat of the pants rabbit stew. Break down the rabbit, egg wash and flower. Brown the rabbit in your pan which should have a just above medium heat, i prefer to brown in duck fat. While the rabbit browns cut up your vegetables, I use whatever is on hand which is usually leeks, onions, garlic, potatoes and carrots. Throw all these in the pan with the rabbit and get a little color on them. Cover the meat with equal parts red wine and whatever broth you have, I personally use vegetable broth most of the time. cover and turn down to a low simmer and let it go for around an hour and half or two hours, basically until the rabbit is super tender. You can add dumplings to the pot for rabbit&dumplings which is fucking awesome IMO.
words

RAGER

^^that my friend is how it's done.  bravo.  but you didn't need me to tell you that.
No Focus Pocus