What the hell do I do with this?

Started by peoplething, July 27, 2013, 06:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peoplething

I know there's a weird ingredients thread, but I thought the forum could use a 'I have  _______, why and how should I eat this?' type of thread.

Our CSA is always good for a few curve balls, at least for my wheelhouse. Last week we got kohlrabi, never heard of it before. Cut them up ate one raw and tossed the other in some chicken stock.

there's gotta be more things to do with this?

The last couple weeks we have gotten beets. I don't know anything about beets. I tried baked chips, they never got crispy and ended up giving me a stomach ache. I don't want to make borscht, because I'm not a communist (sorry, couldn't resist).

any ideas for these two whacky vegetables?

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

khoomeizhi

imo, kolrabiis at its best raw, maybe with a little salt, or in salad.

beets, grate into salads raw, steam or boil then give a splash of balsamic as a vegetable course.

both are decent for mixed roasted root/veg, with other stuff.

i like pickling beets, too.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

MichaelZodiac

I've done kolrabiis like cauliflower. boiled 'till tender with a béchamel sauce, it's good.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

MadJohnShaft

Beets - wrap in foil with whatever herbs yu have around, toss in grill til soft, cool, slice into beet salad.

Otherwise chips - hot oven on parchment with salt and oil, flip, turn down til dried out.

Borscht - cook as above, spread into a beef type soup.

Kohlrabi - peel and use slice thin on salads, toss in with grilled vegetables.
Some days chickens, some days feathers