Is there any kind of brown rice that doesn't have the consistency of wood chips?

Started by Dr.Zayus, August 08, 2013, 09:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

I want to know why the hell I cant find long grain wild rice anymore.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

I switched to brown rice and bread a couple years back.
wild rice is kinda fibrous but brown rice is no problem. use a rice cooker or a pressure cooker and just buy some brown rice in the bulk section, wild rice is another matter.
brown rice needs to cook a little longer than white.

if you dont mind processed stuff you can just buy this

Dr.Zayus

I don't know about Uncle Ben's. I can't stand their white rice. I've been eating brown rice for a few years now and I can usually deal, but I made the most scrumptious mushroom risotto the other day with it, but the consistency just isn't right. My girlfriend said the consistency was great, but I'm a perfectionist. Also, it sucks for coconut rice, again, because of the texture. I have to watch my girlish figure, so I guess I'll just grin and bear it.

deleted account

for the record, Uncle Ben's brown rice isn't bad.  much better than their white(y)

Chovie D

Quote from: priest on August 09, 2013, 07:17:17 PM
for the record, Uncle Ben's brown rice isn't bad.  much better than their white(y)

I have a few pack of that shit for nights when I need to eat with the quickness..and it aint that bad. It must be processed to hell and back tho.

MadJohnShaft

I have one of those Japanese fuzzy logic rice cooker machines in case I want some mediocre weird rice.  The timing feature is nice but I think those Japs are full of it.  I keep trying to make it acceptable.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

khoomeizhi

brown rice is good for most applications, but risotto? get some real arborio. that's what it's for.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

juggernaut

Quote from: khoomeizhi on August 12, 2013, 09:50:05 AM
brown rice is good for most applications, but risotto? get some real arborio. that's what it's for.

This.

NCR600

Quote from: khoomeizhi on August 12, 2013, 09:50:05 AM
Try making risotto with pearl barley. Awesome winter food.

RacerX

The only thing worse than brown rice is brown rice mixed with quinoa. It's like glutinous wood chips.

Blecch.
Livin' The Life.

Demon Lung

How about black rice? It's better for you than brown rice and it isn't as bad. If any of you nutcases be eating rice and don't have a rice cooker then you need get a rice cooker.

The Shocker

Demon Lung

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Wild rice? My relatives from Minnesota keep giving me some. I should make some in that stupid rice cooker.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

RAGER

I had an amazing wild rice burger today at Solera brewing today. Gonna make some of these soon.
No Focus Pocus