Porters & Stouts

Started by agent of change, August 29, 2013, 12:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agent of change

This has got to be my favorite so far, despite all the local microbreweries here. From Poland, dark, sweet, and 9% alcohol. A pint (I think) bottle is only $2.50 at the local co-op.

(Wasn't going to look through lots of "What are you drinking?" threads.)
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

RAGER

You need to broaden your horizons.  Just my opinion.  There are so many other great porters and stouts.
No Focus Pocus

Chovie D

Porters and Stouts arent really all that similar and should probably be discussed separately.

then theres imperial stouts  :)

chille01

Quote from: Chovie D on August 29, 2013, 01:39:27 PM
Porters and Stouts arent really all that similar and should probably be discussed separately.

Epic beer nerdery!  Applauded.  Did you type that in Simpson's comic book guy voice?

Chovie D

If knowing that  a porter and stout arent similar is snobbery then guilty as charged i guess. "worst thread ever"*comic book guy voice.

khoomeizhi

y'all wanna give some shout-outs to some of your favorites or perhaps expound on your understanding of the differences maybe?

it's totally academic to me, since i don't drink beer, but i'm curious. i geek out on brewing technique and recipe and flavor stuff regardless of if i'd drink the outcome.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

lftwng4

I'm not a big fan of either, but I think porters are thinner, and more often than not, smokey.  Local brewery just opened up and offers a molasses porter that's pretty tasty.  I'll give it another shot when it gets colder out.

chille01

I'm only joshing you Chovie. I find it funny because it sounds like something I would say. Unfortunately, most of the general public still knows two beer styles: light and dark. It's changing, but not fast enough for me. Now, as far as the difference between the two, I can unload a barrel full of beer nerdery. Just not now, typing on a tiny iPhone. But soon.

agent of change

Quote from: RAGER on August 29, 2013, 01:30:23 PM
You need to broaden your horizons.  Just my opinion.  There are so many other great porters and stouts.

Still broadening. "Favorite so far." What are some of your favorites? Deign to divulge...
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

agent of change

Also, who said they're the same? I put them both in the title because they're the only kinds of beer I like. IPAs taste like fucking potpourri.

Chovie D

Quote from: agent of change on August 29, 2013, 10:50:38 PM

Also, who said they're the same? I put them both in the title because they're the only kinds of beer I like. IPAs taste like fucking potpourri.

haha, potpouri! thats awesome. I agree I fucking hate the current IPA craze.

the history of porter (like most beers) is pretty interesting
http://beeradvocate.com/articles/305

NCR600

I'll happily say they're the same in as much as a porter or a stout is whichever one the brewer wants to call it. Historically porter refers to dark beers only, but stout ales were pretty much any strong ale that could be of any colour. Even the BJCP style guide doesn't provide much clarity between the two basic styles, and the 6 or so sub categories. Anyway, no one pays attention to the BJCP book unless they're entering BJCP competitions. Brew what you like, drink what you like and call it what you like!
And I like porter and stout!

Instant Dan

Convict Hill Oatmeal Stout by Independence is a good stout that is almost an Imperial in some ways.

512 Pecan Porter is the Porter for me.

juggernaut

Quote from: Chovie D on August 30, 2013, 11:44:38 AM

haha, potpouri! thats awesome. I agree I fucking hate the current IPA craze.

the history of porter (like most beers) is pretty interesting
http://beeradvocate.com/articles/305

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you IPA haters.  IPA's are fucking delicious.

Adam

http://www.beerconnoisseur.com/porter-versus-stout

Just playing devil's advocate here....as I find a difference between the styles myself too. But I am no beer connoisseur.

Genrally prefer stouts to porters.....an oatmeal stout with a nice dark, bitter roast is maybe my favorite style of beer, personally. Porters are much more hit and miss but this summer I have been drinking a shit ton of Odell's Cutthroat Porter.

NCR600

Fridee arvo drinks with an old mate.

7.2% Bourbon/Vanilla Porter.

It's a Porter because:

1. I say it is, and I brewed it.
2.There's no roast malt, only chocolate malt.
3. None more black

And it's dee-lish! I have another 5 gallons in the fermenter as we speak.

Sparkle Motion

Quote from: Instant Dan on August 31, 2013, 11:03:09 PM
Convict Hill Oatmeal Stout by Independence is a good stout that is almost an Imperial in some ways.

512 Pecan Porter is the Porter for me.

Is that 512 as in it's brewed in Austin?
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."