The sushi thread

Started by black aspirin, September 03, 2013, 08:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black aspirin

...and I want plenty of pics people.  I searched and didn't find a sushi thread, which is a travesty.

This is from the other night at The Sushi Bar in Edmond, OK.  One of the best places I've been to around here.

This Juan goes to 11.

RAGER

I don't eat sushi enough but when I do it's not usually what you have up there.  More sashimi, mussels, and weird lookin shit.  I need to eat more sushi  that's for damn sure.
No Focus Pocus

Demon Lung

black aspirin

Quote from: RAGER on September 03, 2013, 08:35:01 PM
I don't eat sushi enough but when I do it's not usually what you have up there.  More sashimi, mussels, and weird lookin shit.  I need to eat more sushi  that's for damn sure.

Yeah, I would have figured that, fancy pants!  I like sashimi, but am a whore for the rolls.  The weird thing is...I can't STAND wasabi or ginger.  Nothing but soy sauce, or simply eat it the way it was served and enjoy the flavor (I think that's the sign of a good sushi roll anyway, amirite?).

Eel sauce is the shit.
This Juan goes to 11.

Demon Lung

When you visit NY let me know aspirin. We will hit up this one spot that is off the fucking chains.

mortlock

I need to be schooled on sushi. ive tried it a few times and liked it both times. I have this fear of getting sick from bad uncooked sushi. im not even sure if its even valid. what do you guys recommend and why.   

black aspirin

Quote from: mortlock on September 03, 2013, 11:22:05 PM
I need to be schooled on sushi. ive tried it a few times and liked it both times. I have this fear of getting sick from bad uncooked sushi. im not even sure if its even valid. what do you guys recommend and why.   

For what it's worth, I know a ton of people who eat sushi, and none of them have ever told me a story about getting sick on it.  I would just stay out of the dives and you'll be OK, haha.  But you can get sick on anything you eat (within reason), so...

Also, you can always get stuff that's tempura fried.  That's the easy sushi to like ('Merica!).  I usually get at least one that's tempura fried, but also like some of the raw (or lightly smoked) stuff like salmon.  I always go with specialty rolls, but you might like to start with basic ones like a Philadelphia Roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_roll

California Roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_roll

Those are some basic rolls to start with if you wanna try things that aren't tempura fried.

This Juan goes to 11.

black aspirin

Here are some of the best rolls I've ever had:

From Fusion Japanese Steakhouse in West Virginia...I don't remember the names of the rolls:

From Yokozuna in Tulsa...the Sumo Roll.   Imitation crab, asparagus, jalapeno and tempura shrimp, topped with seared beef tenderloin, scallions, fried shallots, and wasabi mayo (I subsituted for regular spicy mayo...hate wasabi). Excellent.

I'll post some more pics of sushi I've had at various places soon.
This Juan goes to 11.

deleted account

"I like sashimi, but am a whore for the rolls."

this.  but I am also a whore for getting a shitload of wasabi and making a thick, greenish-brown barely drippy sludge with soy sauce and then proceeding to coat half the piece in it, savoring that medley of flavors and nasal burn that only that combo can bring, washing that down with a slug of a large Sapporo, following that with a shot of sake (when living it up), eating a small piece of ginger, and, most importantly, repeating

mortlock

id eat all of that. apparently I like sushi more than I realize.

Chovie D

the best ive ever had was Tojo's in vancouver BC. very expensive tho.

I go about once a week here in seattle and usually order the Chirasi, which is basicaly sashimi over a bowl of rice...best of both worlds.

this thread could use some Xina or whatever her new moniker was, her stalker musta caught up with her I guess... ???

JemDooM

Nice!

I made a massive load of sushi a while ago for John, I don't think I took a pic actually :O it was really hard at first I didn't think it was gonna happen but then I got the hang of it!

Check out how cute these are!

DooM!

RAGER

My god you didn't boil it I hope! :D
No Focus Pocus

dogfood

BA if you come to Dallas for any reason look up Zushi Sushi.  Solid A sushi, perhaps not the most artistic, putting on the ritz A+ sushi but you will leave a very very happy man.
Problem solving whiskey!