Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black

Alright!

That is just what I was talking about. I appreciate not only the straight up recipe, but your descriptions of the prep and stuff are what totally make it easier for me to understand and not be intimidated/concerned I'm fucking shit up.

Thanks RAGER!
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Chovie D

looks good sir. ;)

and holy shit, those beef rollups a few pages back...do that one next!

the german dude I used to get emm fom called em 'rollmops', he made a fish verison as well. I fucking love saurbraten tho....gawd damn, one of my favorite 'foods".

RAGER

So every few months I'll make, for want of a better term, a chili paste.  Usually out of California or guajillo peppers or some others or maybe a mixture of several if I have a bunch of opened bags and am clearing stuff out.  It's always a bit different but the process is pretty much the same. it looks something like this.

It may be alluring to use the ones you find in the mercados that sit in the big open bins that you bag up yourself but I have found that those sometimes contain moth larvae and if they sit in your cupboard for a while ( because your white and you don't go through large quantities weekly)  they will hatch and you have bugs in your cupboards. So I usually buy the ones already bagged up in the grocery store in the Hispanic aisle.  If you want to add some heat, throw in some of these arbols too.

Take however many you can fit on a baking sheet and lay them out.  Heat your oven to 400. meanwhile heat a kettle of water to boiling.  Put the chilis in the oven on the middle rack.  This doesn't take long so be careful.  you just want to slightly roast them.  If they turn too black it can make your paste bitter.  So just until they darken a little.  You don't even have to really do this part but it's the way i like.  When they're toasted to your satisfaction, pull them out and put them in a big glass mixing bowl.  pour the kettle water over top and put a plate or something on them to hold them down in the water.  Let em sit for about 30 minutes.

dice up a yellow onion a few cloves of garlic.  Put that into a blender.  After the chillis are done soaking, remove them from the water and reserve the water, you're gonna need it. Remove the stems and seeds and put them into the blender with the onions and garlic and about half the water.  Blend until smooth and creamy.  Add a little water if you think it's too thick.

Pour this mix through a wire colander into a sauce pan to remove some the solids. I don't mind mine a little rustic.  I use one like this

Add a tablespoon of dried oregano and a teaspoon of ground cumin, stir and heat over low heat for about an hour to meld the flavors.

You can use this for a variety of Mexican dishes like posole, enchilada sauce, meat stews, moles.  i'l post some of those when I do it.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Quote from: RAGER on January 29, 2013, 11:17:41 AM

Here's where my preference takes over.  I like dark meat slow cooked and falling off the bone so I let it go about and hour or so.  it's kind of to your preference.  it'll probably be done and to temp by the 40 minute mark or slightly before but I like my thighs done done done.  White meat is a different story.

Fist bump. It's almost impossible to overcook a chicken thigh, in my opinion. I bake mine for 75 minutes.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RAGER

Yeah man. This is why I'm normally grossed out by wings at most places. I hate wings that just done and have rubbery skin. Ick
No Focus Pocus

Soundgardenia

So, i finally did that gazpacho the other day:

doesn't look very appetizing but it came out pretty good!

Here's what I used:

6 tomatoes (should've peeled them but i forgot)
1 purple onion
half a cucumber (because i'm still not totally warmed up for cucumbers yet)
1 red bell pepper
2 stalks of celery
parsley
garlic
fresh chives
lemon juice
apple cider vinegar
olive oil
louisiana hot sauce
worcestershire sauce
and then added a few cups of tomato juice.

I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

MadJohnShaft

If you don't like Gazpacho it means you don't get to Stoner Rock.

I have some beef stew meat - I need something to do with beef stew meat that's not beef stew.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

Chovie D

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on January 30, 2013, 07:20:43 AM

I have some beef stew meat - I need something to do with beef stew meat that's not beef stew.

carbonade? basically still a beef stew..

RAGER

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on January 30, 2013, 07:20:43 AM

Birria.  Look into it. After you've made some of my chili paste.
No Focus Pocus

deleted account

I thought birria was made with goat meat

RAGER

It can be but beef or lamb works well.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

So hey Priest you wanted a kimchi recipe?  Here's this from a while back.  just scroll down and here's some specifics.

http://stonerrocklives.com/forum/index.php?topic=4408.0

Soak the napa cabbage and bok choy in salted water using seasalt or kosher salt.  You'll need probably a cup plus of salt.  After soaking for about 4-5 hours rinse it good and drain well.  it should be wilty and salty.  Taste it and see.  If it's not salty enough add a bit of salt when you mix everything else together.  it will intensify some.

So while the cabbage is soaking prep you other ingredients.  The last batch i made had a lot going on.  This one is gonna be simpler.

Mash up about 10 cloves of garlic and mince about a tblsp of fresh ginger. and add to a big bowl
Slice on the diagonal 4 scallions. add to the bowl.
Add to the bowl 3/4 cup korean chili flakes (they're ground a little finer than the regular kind.  Get em at the asian store)
Add to the bowl a couple tblsp fish sauce.  More if you like fish. less if you don't but do add some.
Add a tblsp of sugar.

mix all this up thoroughly by hand and put into jars.  Cover the jars with plastic wrap and a rubber band not lids yet.  leave out on the counter for 4 days at room temp.  put lids on and refrigerate for another 4-5 days.  Enjoy.

Like I said, this is a really basic kind.  you can add carrots, daikon radish, apples, pears, dried shrimp, anchovies....etc..

No Focus Pocus

deleted account

thanks!  can the garlic be pressed, or does it have to be mashed?

RAGER

Don't over think it.  mince it smash it mash it press it what ever.  I just never use a press.  I use my chefs knife or a santoku for everything.
No Focus Pocus

Soundgardenia

Went to the farmers market this morning to grab some goodies for a spinach soup:

I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

Instant Dan

Rager, do you think goat cheese would work as a decent substitute over bleu cheese

MadJohnShaft

JemDooM

Mmmm that chilli paste is making my mouth water :*

My 'speciality' I guess is tuna steak thermidor...

Fry a few finely chopped shallots and garlic in olive oil until brown, add a few glugs of a tasty/fruity white wine, let it simmer for a minute then add a few glugs of double cream, stir in a heaped teaspoon of English mustard and stir/simmer for a while until it starts to thicken, then you need to taste and add a little wine or a little cream or a little mustard and keep tasting until its just right, meanwhile frying tuna steaks in a separate pan, when the sauce is ready add an even generous sprinkling of grated extra mature cheddar cheese on top at the last second, then serve over the tuna steaks, its best served with garlic roast potatoes.....Mmmm I want it now! I prob have a pic somewhere let me see...
DooM!

MadJohnShaft

One ingredient ice cream (frozen bananas) round II tonight, you owe it to yourself to try it. Food process the shit out of them, then run it for another few minutes.  Unreal.

Lumpy

Soundgardenia

No shit, he's been MIA for a while...

I,Galactus

Folks made jokes in GD about him getting locked up in Libertycraps' basement.

I'm just hoping he and his girl weren't mauled by a bear or something on one of their outdoorsy sexcapades.

:( :( :(
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

MadJohnShaft

Omg Potato Dominos - I would more correctly call them Mashed Potato Chips, my new favorite thing....

http://food52.com/blog/5649-francis-mallmann-s-potato-dominoes

Lumpy

I made a quick & dirty Putanesca sauce last night...

Lightly sauteed a whole bunch of chopped garlic in about 1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil, then added a (drained) can of flat anchovy filets (in another thread I said you only need a couple filets, that was wrong - use the whole can). Try not to brown the garlic -- keep the heat down sorta low.

Mashed the anchovies in the hot oil, eventually they break up and disintegrate. Added 2/3 big jar of a basic marinara sauce (anything but Ragu, nothing sweet). Turn the heat up a notch. Add a few hard shakes of red pepper flakes to taste. Continue cooking to reduce sauce slightly. Add a couple cans of drained chunk light tuna, stir it in. Add a half cup marinated black olives, pits removed/cut in half.

Toss with a pound of cooked, drained pasta (bow ties, rotelli, or shells are good)

After plating/bowling, drizzle raw olive oil on top (important for awesomeness, don't forget). Makes two servings ;)  You're supposed to use capers too, I said fuck it. I'm not gonna buy a whole jar of capers just for putanesca. The tuna is also not part of a real putanesca recipe, but that's what made it dinner.