Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khoomeizhi

meat on skewers - one of my specialties. did this last night:

took boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut in thin strips (a little less than an inch) the long way. mixed with salt, black pepper, fresh garlic, fresh ground mustard seed, paprika, and a bit of thyme, and then left to sit in fridge for a couple hours while i went outside to work up a good bed of wood coals. then we threaded them onto skewers and grilled them quick (not more than 6 or 7 minutes, as the coals were hot and the grill was close to them) turning frequently and adding small sticks of recently pruned green fruitwood for extra smoke and flavor. so fucking good i ate way too much, along with some nice mixed roasted root veggies.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

JemDooM

DooM!

MadJohnShaft

I made Ragers chilli paste from above and made Birria with the beef stew meat - it turned out spectacular.  I used this recipe with beef instead of goat and...one less goat head.

http://masaassassin.blogspot.com/2009/04/birria-de-chivo-recipe-goat-stew.html

It's done in a blender and once it's all assembled and simmering you can go about your business (watching TV while listening to music and reading a book).

I had made a brisket so I already had a big bowl of square A ready to use.  I marinated the beef in the morning in it after banging it with a meat mallet while the children were eating cereal.

This Texas BBQ website is funny and has very usable advice. I did this on Saturday and it was perfect.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

Mine looked exactly like this minus that atrocious watch.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

I made quick pickles the other day out of English cucumbers.  The odds and ends I mixed with some sliced carrots and put into another jar.

These are 2 qt jars so the pickles are long planks.

Equal parts cider vinegar and water with about a Tblsp of kosher salt per cup and a half of liquid.  Lots of dill, smashed garlic cloves, peppercorns, and arbol chilis. 

Wash and slice the cukes.  pack into the jars with the garlic herbs and spices.  Bring the water, vinegar, and salt to a simmer then pour it into the jars and seal up.  let em cool for a few hours and put in the fridge.  Wait as ong as you can to eat but they'll be good in a few days.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

RAGER

Last night was chicken tacos.  I just roasted some chicken legs with some slt and pepper and evoo until falling off the bone.  had some guac and some pico too.  Yumm.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

A few nights ago I made Ecuadorian chicken stew.  Once some of the complex prep is done it's pretty simple.  You could buy your own achiote paste but I prefer to make my own.  That gets a bit complicated but if you want my recipe I will type it out.  Achiote works great for pork too.  mostly a spice blend for slow cooking meats. 

I adapted from this recipe but i cooked the rice separate.  http://dimityjones.com/2013/02/18/equadorian-chicken-stew/aguado-de-gallina-ecuadorian-chicken-soup-4/

No Focus Pocus

Soundgardenia

I could play Stairway to Heaven when I was twelve... Jimmy Page didn't actually write it until he was twenty-two... I think that says quite a lot..

MadJohnShaft

Totally - I am nuts for Ajiaco now.  My favorite SA grocer has green plantains and frozen yucca. I spaced and forgot to buy the key ingredient - dried guascas leaves.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/ajiaco-colombian-chicken-and-potato-soup-recipe.html

And

http://www.mycolombianrecipes.com/colombian-chicken-sancocho-sancocho-de

Next up is Beef Sancocho -   

RAGER

I need to start cooking more with yucca and plantains and junk.  MJS look into making your own achiote.  it will transport you.

Night before last was a Cuban black bean stew.

I quick soaked about a pound and a half of black beans

I browned up and rendered some fat off some smoked pork jowl lardons to start La Trinidad, the Cuban sofrito of onions, garlic, cumin, green and red bell pepper.

I then diced up some carrot to add and sauteed for a few minutes and add the lardons back in.  In go the beans and water to cover about an inch above and simmer for about 4 hours adding a little water once in a while.  In a dutch oven of course on the stove.  Towards the end I added in some shredded pork.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Since we came back from BA I've been taking all the meaty leftovers and making Empanadas with them.

I made a BBQ pork shoulder and half a chicken yesterday - whatever we don't eat gets Empanadized and then the kids grab them for lunch. Awesomeness..... the best part is for the last couple weeks I have been slicing off a couple strips of leftover hardened cheese from fondue and sticking that in there. Yes!

Today is Chicken Sancocho

peoplething

I tried that Cauliflower steak recipe - the steak was amazingly delicious and ridiculously easy, even first time thru the protocol. Both the wife and I were seriously surprised at the first bite. It was one of those 'holy crap this is good' moments.

I did the 'gravy' with the left over florets - that was less than exciting. 
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

Demon Lung

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on March 17, 2013, 08:07:30 AM
Since we came back from BA I've been taking all the meaty leftovers and making Empanadas with them.

I made a BBQ pork shoulder and half a chicken yesterday - whatever we don't eat gets Empanadized and then the kids grab them for lunch. Awesomeness..... the best part is for the last couple weeks I have been slicing off a couple strips of leftover hardened cheese from fondue and sticking that in there. Yes!

Today is Chicken Sancocho

i wish that you would adopt me and let me come live with you

JemDooM

there is a serious lack of ez on this food section I'll have you know....  ???
DooM!

ez

hahaha, that's because I am thoroughly intimidated by Rager ;)

Haven't done much cooking lately, but will post some stuff once I've moved to the new apartment and finally get a functioning oven again.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

MichaelZodiac

According to my girlfriend I made my best salmon en papillote yesterday, the easiness of the dish is surprising.

(for 2 people)
400gr salmon
3 tomatoes
1 red bell pepper
1 (red) union
3 garlic cloves
dill
basil
white wine
lemon

Chop up the tomatoes, the pepper, the union and the garlic cloves. Take an oven tray that's high enough to hold the packet. Spread the vegetables in the papillote and add some salt and a good amount of pepper. Cover the vegetables with dill and basil, more dill than basil. Place the salmon on top of the vegetables and herbs. Pour some white wine over everything, pepper the salmon and place some lemon slices on top of the salmon. Fold the tin foil so it's closed but you don't want too tight, there has to be a layer of air between the foil and the salmon. Put into the oven for 20-25min at 190 degrees C/375 degrees F. Serve with anything you like, I like some nice bread with it.

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

JemDooM

Mmmm white wine and fish were made for one another, that recipe sounds delish zodiac...

Good luck with the move ez I'll look forward to seeing your cooking again hehe!

Quick easy Veggie bolognese, I make this a lot and the contents sometimes vary slightly depending on what I have in but it's always delicious! Here's when I have everything (pics soon I'm in work)

Carton of passata
Tin of chopped tomatoes
Large handful Cherry tomatoes
Handful Green Olives
Finely chopped red onion
Finely chopped mushrooms
Finely chopped courgette
Finely chopped red pepper
Loads of Crushed garlic approx 4 big fat cloves
Generous pour of Red wine
Splash of Olive oil
Plenty Basil
Sea salt
Lots of Cracked black pepper
Couple pinches of Chilli powder

Basically through it all in a pan (I like a big wide one) cover and leave to simmer for atleast an hour preferably longer, add water or red wine if it thickens up too much, I serve with spagetti topped with loads of whatever cheese I have in.... Yum :)

DooM!

RAGER

Yes, white wine and fish are a match made in culinary heaven.  You could do this same thing on the grill.  It would just take a little less time.

Veggie bolognese?  Are you veg/vegan?  My bolognese takes aboot 4 hours.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Cooking for the hoose tonight.  Big batch of polenta with slow braised beef and pork in tomatoes and red wine, sauteed kale and chard, with a fennel and cabbage salad dressed with lemon vinaigrette.  Taking all day but Imma sneak away to the pub after I do the polenta and put it in a crock pot on low to stay creamy.  Gotta make my own mascarpone too.  I'll try to take pics.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I'm making RAGER chilli paste now for enchiladas later

Demon Lung

My lady made some chicken enchilada soup for dinner

MadJohnShaft

Thanks for the report on the cauliflower steak, haven't had a chance yet but can't wait.  

I think that Guatemalan chicken would go over well, my people love anything with paprika.

Did you ever make anything from Peruvian Black Mint paste?  I have a jar.   

My pepper sauce for the enchilada lasagne came out a little too hot for us, I had some dried peppers I made that were too hot, we cut it a bit with tomato and all is well.  But I live that technique and it is worlds beyond the canned stuff.

RAGER

So I forgot to take pics.  But here's my leftovers for lunch.  I put the polenta in a container and this morning is was set up pretty solid so I plopped the whole thing oot and slice off a chunk then browned it in oil and put the meat on top.  With the fennel radicchio slaw on the side. yum.

Here's the crock pot keep ing the polenta warm and parmesan rinds oozing cheesey goodness into it.

No Focus Pocus

JemDooM

QuoteVeggie bolognese?  Are you veg/vegan?  My bolognese takes aboot 4 hours.

me n the man are pescatarian RAGER, mmmm that food looks delicious, parmesan is awesome, its one of those non veggie things I allow myself to eat now and again...
DooM!