need a TV series to watch

Started by retardgroove, February 24, 2014, 01:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

We watched "The Watcher" dark comedy. Great cast. Jennifer Coolidge among others. Mia Farrow is in it and plays a kook of course. It's good.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

We watched that.  Kinda miffed about the ending, but it's an ongoing real thing so...
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Why didn't he go to the end if the ducking tunnel with damn chainsaw??  It's obvious who was up to shit. Or was that creative liberty? 
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Good question.  The whole thing was based on a NYT article or something about that house and the harassment history and weirdness surrounding the owners and the unknown harassers. I haven't read the article.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Cabinet of Curiosities is pretty good.

And we just started The White Lotus Italy.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Is it an altogether different cast?
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

The only two original are Jennifer Coolidge and John Gries (uncle Rico). There's other actor's you'll recognize.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Counterpart TV Series 2017–2019

Binging season 1 dvd. Not sure how far I'll get, no search hits here. J. K. ("not quite my tempo" Whiplash (2014)) Simmons. Well acted, nice noir-ish lighting. Murky plot (who are they after?) double-agents or something but not coying or manipulative. Hired spies, hit-men hit-women fair game. Kind of a soap opera thing or something going on here. Good sound, well, not the orchestra parts, but the folio and atmosphere.

I hope it doesn't tank later, so much potential from first look at season 1. A little art-schoolish but better that than big budget blockbuster cookie cutter. This is more indy. I really dig the cinematography, it's a study in that, for me and worth it alone for that. Photog's take notice.

IMDB:
"A hapless UN employee discovers that the agency he works for is hiding a gateway to a parallel dimension that's in a cold war with our own, and where his other self is a top spy. The war slowly heats up thanks to spies from both sides."

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

dnice

The Sinner (season 4)

cool story, personally my favorite of what I've seen of this series, which can be a little up and down. But this season is pretty consistent, well written, well acted. Very down east Maine as it's clearly shot in Maine, and takes place in coastal Maine. recommended.

RAGER

That's a great series. I love Pullmans character. I might start the first one again.
No Focus Pocus

Dylan Thomas

Started watching The Peripheral.

Good premise, and the creators have not taken a brilliant sci-fi concept and let it devolve into mindless action movie.  However, I'm concerned that they'll deviate drastically from solid source material and try to turn it into an endless season soap opera, like what happened with The Man In The High Castle and The Handmaid's Tale.

Also tried to watch 1899, which is supposed to be good.  The same folks who made Dark created 1899, and it does look weird and freaky for sure.  Fell asleep though, I'm just often on the verge of exhaustion by the time I actually have any downtime where I could conceivably watch television or movies.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

stooge

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on November 21, 2022, 12:47:28 PM
Started watching The Peripheral.

So did I - not bad at all so far (E3)
share your concerns though - most series get worse with each season
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

RAGER

Doesn't 1899 have terrible lip sync overdub?  Hate that.

I'll check out Peripheral.

Just finished S2 White Lotus. It was good.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

That's funny RAGER, I came across this thing about the 1899 dub
https://www.cnet.com/culture/entertainment/if-youre-watching-1899-on-netflix-you-need-to-change-this-one-setting/

Even in the original languages, the show is a snoozer!

Best shows I saw recently were ANDOR and SEVERANCE.

Pissy

We were watching 1899 but not dubbed. 

We'll probably finish it, but it's definitely a slow moving story.  It doesn't help that I clicked on the making of thing on Netflix and it was spoiled in the first 30 seconds. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Quote from: renfield on December 15, 2022, 04:04:05 PM
That's funny RAGER, I came across this thing about the 1899 dub
https://www.cnet.com/culture/entertainment/if-youre-watching-1899-on-netflix-you-need-to-change-this-one-setting/

Even in the original languages, the show is a snoozer!

Best shows I saw recently were ANDOR and SEVERANCE.

K. I won't bother then.

Did I mention we are watching Dead to Me?  Christina Applegate. If you squint or even close your eyes you'd think it was Jennifer Anniston.  Weird. It's pretty good. It's that fast dialogue, possibly some improv.

Chicks dig it.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

On Season 7, Ep. 26 of Bewitched. It's just so chill and easy. 15 years ago some deal came up for $0.99 cents for the whole catalog. May have been a glitch but I bought it and it still there stored in Prime. I wonder if I cancelled Prime if goes away, not a big fan of Prime per se, but it is what it is. Anywho, the show is a hoot. For sure  a go-to, No commercials! Light, easy, with a wink or two!

ps. this is the show that pops in a baby elephant, or a handful of chimpanzees at any given time. for real.

Muffin Man

Netflix is an fucked up place. No fucking way am I re'poo-poo laying that\layer. Their evel robutt bullsho#t_ scam aaa-eeeeye I crapeé is the worst of the vuorst. Any. compan.y that deploiysszs. this A-i- caepr. shit-shwah and pretinda(s) to serve'wah'a yu izit axssholexs(s). Ficksè they.m6.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: Pissy on December 15, 2022, 05:59:01 PMWe were watching 1899 but not dubbed. 

We'll probably finish it, but it's definitely a slow moving story.  It doesn't help that I clicked on the making of thing on Netflix and it was spoiled in the first 30 seconds. 
I ended up watching the whole thing.  It got far better (and far weirder) with each episode.  Shame that it's not getting a second season, as the last episode of the first season is a total mindfuck.

RAGER

Anybody else watching "The last of us"?

Episode 3 is so terribly romantic.  If you don't at least tear up, you have no heart
No Focus Pocus

jmucke

Quote from: RAGER on February 22, 2023, 03:06:52 PMAnybody else watching "The last of us"?

Episode 3 is so terribly romantic.  If you don't at least tear up, you have no heart

Yeah, episode 3 is great, the casting spot on. I don't play video games so I don't know anything about the game but the "Chernobyl"-connection was enough for me to check this series out. Its pretty good but they should have stuck with the prologues. They gave the story an extra scope.

Pissy

We've been watching, but haven't watched last night's episode yet.  That third episode was amazing and Offerman was incredible.  They've all been great.  

I also know nothing of the video game, since we're an Xbox house.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Dylan Thomas

Liz has played the videogame.  Personally, I'm pretty burned out on zombies.

I did watch The Watchmen TV series.  I actually enjoyed it - it was different and unexpected.  Sure, it's kind of weird to make a sequel to a comic, and it didn't align with the changes rendered to the Watchmen movie.  Obviously I like the comic best, and seeing a series that utilized that alternate timeline was fascinating and entertaining, even if it didn't succeed in the ways that the comic does.

Dylan Thomas

Alright, watched some of The Last of Us....it's not bad at all.  I thought that it would be corny like Walking Dead and the spin-offs, though it's a fairly fresh take on the zombie trope and actually seems to make good use of the source material.  Liz says that they deviate a bit from the game's plot, though mostly by going deeper into backstories and such.

Yeah, episode three was something else, and a prime example of the deeper backstories.