need a TV series to watch

Started by retardgroove, February 24, 2014, 01:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfield

^ because she had like, personal growth / regret at the end or some shit.
For all the cool Prisoner-esque posturing it turned out to be a pretty dumb show in the end.

Dylan Thomas

I watched all of Them.  Not too bad, I enjoyed it.  It was gritty and really showed the ugly underbelly of America's even more racist past, though the writers and directors obviously know the horror genre well.  It avoids many of the pacing and exposition pitfalls that modern horror succumbs to.  It builds tensions and suspense, never revealing too much too soon.  Well done and enjoyable.

Watching Good Omens now.  Not bad, and they haven't totally murdered the source material.  Good to see that it's only six episodes and they won't try to turn a good novel's into a fucking multi-season train wreck soap opera aka The Man In The High Castle and Handmaid's Tale, etc.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

RAGER

Started watching Peaky Blinders. It's pretty damn good
No Focus Pocus

sleestak

Watching The Mare of Easttown on HBO and I kinda like it but I also find it to be cheaply connecting all the plot lines to every character in the show.  I think it's kind of the point, but it also makes it completely unbelievable.  Will finish the final 2 episodes but I couldn't quite recommend it.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Dylan Thomas

Watched all of Jupiter's Legacy first season.

I dug it.  Not perfect, though generally very entertaining, and an interesting counterpoint to The Boyz.

The pacing is a bit wack, it's slow moving, though that could be because they're developing two timelines simultaneously.  All and all, it had a lot of substance for a superhero trope that can get a bit tired.  The origin story is fucking off the hook.

sleestak

I held out on watching "the Boys" because I'm so incredibly tired of superhero movies.  I hadn't read much media about it and ended up watching it on a loose recommendation from one of our dead former members.  I really dug it's approach and how they blend genuine plot with parody.  Is Jupiter's Legacy different enough to warrant a watch?

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: sleestak on May 18, 2021, 02:45:21 PM
I held out on watching "the Boys" because I'm so incredibly tired of superhero movies.  I hadn't read much media about it and ended up watching it on a loose recommendation from one of our dead former members.  I really dug it's approach and how they blend genuine plot with parody.  Is Jupiter's Legacy different enough to warrant a watch?

Yeah, I'd say that it is.  It's another where the humanity of the heroes is exposed through both moral ambiguity and slow, deliberate exposition, though the tone and plot devices are unique.  It's tone is completely different than The Boys - no parody to speak of, it's a pretty grim affair.  It's more along the lines of The Watchmen, in that it takes a look at the superhero's place in society amongst a modern, rapidly changing world.  There's also a second timeline in the past that simultaneously develops the heroes' original stories, which is wild and thoroughly enjoyable in my opinion, and also reminiscent of The Watchmen in a way that's not derivative.  I found it to be both clever and well done, though I haven't actually read the source material to compare.

Plus, the episodes are relatively short, so it's an 8 part season that you can breeze right through.  May not be your thing, it certainly made me think.

Lumpy

Its hard for me to get hooked on a series. I couldn't get into...

One Punch Man
My Hero Academy
Living Doll Dollface (because my friend worked on it)
What We Do In the Shadows
Stan Against Evil
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

neighbor664

C'mon! "Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City" is the shows opening song. Viking shieldmaiden turned cop.Yes!

stooge

Quote from: sleestak on May 17, 2021, 11:18:46 AM
Watching The Mare of Easttown on HBO and I kinda like it but I also find it to be cheaply connecting all the plot lines to every character in the show.  I think it's kind of the point, but it also makes it completely unbelievable.  Will finish the final 2 episodes but I couldn't quite recommend it.
i like it a lot - so grim and dark
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

RAGER

Quote from: RAGER on May 17, 2021, 10:16:01 AM
Started watching Peaky Blinders. It's pretty damn good

Didn't realize it came to a sudden halt cuz of COVID. The 6th and final season prolly won't air until 2022.

Caveat. The music sucks and isn't period correct but the show is good.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Wouldn't it be cool if you could customize your own score to movies and shows you like and then share them? 
No Focus Pocus

sleestak

Yep, also I'd like to be invisible.

renfield

Quote from: RAGER on June 01, 2021, 04:25:32 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if you could customize your own score to movies and shows you like and then share them?

My buddy and I did a project where we edited down a metal soundtrack to Murnau's Nosferatu (eg, some of the songs faded out before they were actually finished).

I remember it had:
Electric Wizard - Return Trip
Karp - Bacon Industry
Dysrhythmia - Running Shoe of Justice
BloodHag - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
Metallica - For Whom the Bell
Pelican - Drought
High on Fire - Speedwolf
C Average - Prolock the Protector
something by Fucking Champs

We screened it at our college's theater and blew out the speakers.

RAGER

Bacon industry alone can fry your speakers cuz you just gotta hear that shit LOUD!!
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Anybody watching Ted Lasso. It makes me chuckle.
No Focus Pocus

jmucke

Quote from: RAGER on September 09, 2021, 04:20:23 PM
Anybody watching Ted Lasso. It makes me chuckle.

Yeah, its funny. The characters are cool and it will be really hard watching Sudeikis in the future and not seeing Ted Lasso.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

I've been watching Manifest on Netfilx. It's kinda clunky, but has been entertaining.

RAGER

Formula 1 Drive to survive. If you're not bro cars and stuff you probably won't like it.
No Focus Pocus

sleestak

I'm onto Reservation Dogs.   It's fun with a unique unfamiliar backdrop.

socket

I can't get into Ted Lasso. I keep hearing good things. Maybe I'll give it one more shot.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

RAGER

What the hell's wrong with you?  There are a couple clunkers but it's funny. So far. Although the last episode left me wondering where they're going with it.
No Focus Pocus

jmucke

Quote from: RAGER on September 20, 2021, 01:58:00 PM
What the hell's wrong with you?  There are a couple clunkers but it's funny. So far. Although the last episode left me wondering where they're going with it.

Are you talking about Beards Twin Peaks-episode? That was fucking brilliant!

RAGER

Well I wasn't going to give it away but yes. Why though?  Like I said we'll see how that ties in? 
No Focus Pocus