need a TV series to watch

Started by retardgroove, February 24, 2014, 01:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

derry girls is so good. absolutely hilarious. super short like 20 minute episodes.

Dylan Thomas

I've been watching the new He-Man cartoon that Kevin Smith did.

It's.....decent.  It's not as good as the She-Ra reboot, which is simply phenomenal, although the last season goes on a weird reboot tangent.  They make it work, but it's one of those weird detours a show takes when it's running out of ideas.  Good thing they wrapped it up when they did.

I've into the second season of He-Man Revelations, and there's a lot to like here.  Visually, it looks really cool, and it's sort of faithful to the spirit of the original, though it lacks that 80's cartoon naivete, that lack of real consequences.  I think that's a good thing - characters die and are disintegrated, lots of dark, horrible shit happens and it's not nicely resolved after 25 minutes of victimless violence and cheesy 80's humor.

Still, it's obvious that it's pandering to the nostalgia of those of us who grew up in the 80's watching the original, and kind of begs the question of, "Why does the world really need this?"
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

mortlock

Quote from: RAGER on May 17, 2021, 10:16:01 AM
Started watching Peaky Blinders. It's pretty damn good
im on season 2 now. really great series.

RAGER

I damn near started smoking again watching that show.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

It makes me want whiskey for brek.

Dylan Thomas

Finished watching the first season of The Wheel Of Time.

It was okay, I'm glad that the last couple episodes dove a bit deeper into character development, and then things really started moving,

We'll see how the second season is, not sure when that's supposed to come out.

RAGER

Uhhh cancel yer New Years plans cuz Cobra Kai Season 4! 
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

cant tell you how stoked i am for it. and book of boba fett. i need to hurry up and finish peaky b so i can clear the table for these. 

socket

STRIKE FAST!
STRIKE HARD!
NO MERCY!

can't fucking wait. lol.

Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

RAGER

I think we burned through 7 episodes last night.
No Focus Pocus

Dylan Thomas

How is it?? The reviews I read weren't particularly flattering, though I obviously don't always trust reviewers ;-)

Pissy

Watched 4 episodes. There seems to be no end to how to twist how one faction misunderstands the other. 
Vinyls.   deal.

jmucke

"Station Eleven" is great. Gets the feel and atmosphere of the book (which is also great) while adding its own elements and changes. And its about a fucking pandemic.

I also liked "We Are Who We Are" a lot, a series which I stayed away from because of the subject matter (annoying army-brats on a an US-base in Italy being confused about their sexual identities). But surprise, surprise, it is really well made (if slow) and I even started to like some of the characters.

Dylan Thomas

Finally got around to watching The Witcher.  I'd watched the first episode when it originally launched and was underwhelmed, put off watching it.

Boy, was that a mistake. I returned to it because I saw there was a second season, meaning that it was renewed and therefore could not TOTALLY suck?

I find it to be wildly entertaining and am nearing the end of the second season.  Weird, dark fantasy shiznit with very colorful characters.  Mutants and monsters from para-dimensional shifting worlds, how can you go wrong with that formula?

renfield

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Dylan Thomas

Honestly, I think that it's pretty annoying, the amount of time they spend focusing on shots of cleavage.  Particularly in the latter half of the second season, when they start to do it with Ciri, which is just creepy as fuck considering that she's supposed to be mad young. 

That would be the one thing I dislike about the show.

mortlock

this has the potential to be pretty dumb BUT im totally psyched for it. im glad they are giving a dose of metal to a new generation.

Dylan Thomas

I watched Cracow Monsters, speaking of The Witcher.

It's okay, entertaining at least, kind of like the show Supernatural but Polish, which makes it much less idiotic than Supernatural.

It utilizes a lot of Slavic mythology and Polish folklore, obviously like The Witcher does.  That's a high point.  The writing and continuity is not always the best, some of it is downright derivative, clearly lifting ideas from other source material (The OA and Pan's Labyrinth come immediately to mind).

I'm willing to forgive that in this instance because the folklore is so fascinating.

mortlock

just finished the 5th and final season of the last kingdom that just came out. what a great series. i cant wait for the movie.

Danny G

"Hidden Villages" on Amazon prime is a good relaxing popcorn show. About villages in England and their history etc. Pretty cool and fascinating.

Watch with the subtitles for season 2 and 3 as suddenly the music is annoyingly louder than the voice over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

Anybody watched Yellowstone?  It's kinda like the cop shows I always watch. Encompassing mist things I detest but somehow I watch it.
No Focus Pocus

jmucke

Winning Time - The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

I don't know shit about baseball but this is really funny and the fast-edited story-telling is great. I am a huge fan of Adam McKays "The Big Short" so the constant breaking the fourth wall is right up my alley.

Pissy

Basketball.  Baseball is a little different.
Vinyls.   deal.

jmucke

Quote from: Pissy on April 12, 2022, 06:52:58 AM
Basketball.  Baseball is a little different.
There you go, thats about the extent of my knowledge. I could blame autocomplete but I simply don't know sports.