I just ate a vegan reuben...

Started by Ryno, January 09, 2014, 11:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryno

And it was pretty damn tasty!

Got a gift card to some Native Foods restaurant and on my way home tonight I decided to stop and try it.  Not knowing, whatsoever, that it was all vegan.  They lured me in with a giant "SPECIALS" board with things on it like "Portobello Mushroom Sausage Burger" and "Deli Reuben" and other meat-based foods you find at all other eateries, except theirs were all fake meats and cheeses.  I was kind of shocked at first, and almost left because I was terrified.  The place was packed, hipsters and pierced faces wearing faux leather jackets all staring at me.  I didn't know what to order.  Then I saw a huge man in a Broncos Jersey and ball cap packing away a delicious looking giant salad, but since I already had a salad today, I couldn't do it.  Then the girl told me to try the Reuben.  So I did.  And it was good.

The one thing that perplexed me was there was no hummus and no falafal.  WTF?  If I had a vegan restaurant I'd have several different kinds of both of those things on the menu.  Because I love me some hummus.

What else should I try?
If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

deleted account

I hear vegan pussy is scrum-dillyumptious!

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

gritty_fingers

"Ginger People"

Ryno

I've had the vegan pussy.  It's definitely top notch.

RAGER

But there were definitely whore moans.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

In college

I have to eat at a stupid vegan place once in a while and I've got the vegan Reuben but usually I get whatever Mexican vegan burrito dish they have.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

deleted account

I didn't know you went to college in California!  hey wait a minute- vegan restaurants have been around that long?

gritty_fingers

"Ginger People"

MadJohnShaft

Not funny, impenetrable jokes have been around longer

Ryno

So...I go back to that place, Native Foods, last night and there's a huge long line.  The place is apparently very popular.  I'm waiting in line looking at a menu trying to figure out which fake sandwich I'm going to take home.  I hear this guy behind me telling a lady how glad he was to be there.  She said, "at Native Foods"?  And he chuckles saying, "No...just anywhere with you".  But I realize I recognize the voice and the laugh.  So I turn around and it's Al Gore.  And his daughter I guess?  So they both look at me and I say, "hey Mr. Gore, fancy seeing you here." And I shook his hand.  Then I said something to him about him sticking to his vegan diet and he asked If I was a vegan.  I said, No and it was only my 2nd time there at the restaurant.  He said, "Today?!?!" Next thing you know he starts asking me what I'm getting and tells me he eats there twice a day sometimes and we go back and forth about the menu and blah blah blah. We chat it up for about 5 mins and the whole time I'm thinking, "where's the secret service?"  Do you get that when you're out of office for a certain amount of time? I could tackle him right now.  What would happen???  And it seemed that no one else recognized him, until I was leaving and then he got mobbed by people wanting to take pictures with him.  As I walk by on my way out I gave him a nod.  He asked me what I got, I told him that I decided on the Cheesesteak. He said, "Ohhhh, that's a good one!" 

I said, "See ya around, Gore!" and we slapped a hi- five.

Okay that very last part wasn't exactly like that. But it was still pretty interesting.

The cheesesteak was pretty meh.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

deleted account

I'd be like, "so that exponential jump in temperature is happening when again?"

RAGER

Then the secret service would have jumped out and pepper sprayed you with vegan pepper spray.
No Focus Pocus

Ryno

Haha.  I think pepper spray is vegan by default.  He was a friendly guy.  I was just scoping the place out wondering if he had some sort of security presence but didn't see anything that stood out.  I guess once you're out of office and back in the real world you're on your own?  No more limos or security or fancy dinners?

I should ask MadJohnShaft how that works.  He would know.

JemDooM

Mmmmm the rueben sounds amazing! A couple of friends had a vegan pulled pork sandwich a few months ago in this vegan place, it was made with some vegetable that apparently had the same colour/texture, I can't remember what it was, some kind of exotic root I think, awesome stuff...

There's this place in my town that does the most amazing vegetarian pizzas, a hotdog pizza which is a veggie hotdog wrapped in pizza, and a pizza burger which is veggie burgers sandwiched in pizza, Iv only had the goats cheese & pepper pizza so far tho...
DooM!

mutantcolors

Stop this madness.

A "vegan pulled pork sandwich" is a pulled vegan sandwich. Whatever they pulled, it wasn't pork. Or a Philly veganvegan. Or a Reuben, but at least there isn't a meat or animal product specified in that name.

MadJohnShaft

JemDooM

DooM!

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

MadJohnShaft

I tried to order an Old Fashioned at The Chicago Diner and got the Mexican dish off the menu. Lovely food.

http://www.veggiediner.com

RAGER

Ever try a rum old fashioned?  I recommend Smith & Cross Navy strength.
No Focus Pocus