Take me to school - bass cab edition.

Started by mutantcolors, March 07, 2014, 03:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

The new run Acoustic heads sound surprisingly good, tho built like toys.

Mine sounded great til it shit the bed. Then I finally got it fixed and it sounded great before shitting the bed again within a matter of days.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

liquidsmoke

I'm looking for a 4 ohm Acoustic B410 cab for cheap.

Lumpy

People really like that Ampeg 4x10 HLF cab (for bass) if you can find one. The good thing about bass cabs (unless you live in Idaho) is that almost nobody wants to ship them, so perfectly good "pre-owned" bass cabs are available locally for bro prices.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

liquidsmoke

I wish there were more bro prices on Craigslist where I live. People tend to ask ebay prices for stuff here.

Lumpy

If you see something on Craigs List for months on end, try making an offer. I think some people think Craigs List is a place to haggle prices (look at how many buyers try to do it). So maybe some of the sellers expect you to haggle? I dunno.

liquidsmoke

Good point although when they start at Musician's Friend prices..  ::)

As luck would have it I just found a listing for an Acoustic 410 online so low that even with the shipping charge it will still be a good deal. Just need to call tomorrow and see what the ohm rating is. I'm hoping the 4 ohm units aren't super uncommon. The new model is only available in 8.

edit: it's 8, no dice

liquidsmoke

These look small and light and the price is low

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/SA-215/p/SA-215#.Uy3sZ9yfuuc

edit: I'm reading all over the net that this company makes junk.

liquidsmoke

Lumpy

An Eden 4x10 for $299? ??? "Our slave labor is the best!" Weird to see them going after the budget side of the market. Misprint? Is that price missing a "1" at the beginning?

I would look for pro reviews (bass player magazine.com, etc) and amateur user reviews... for everything. I usually do...

mutantcolors

The Acoustic rig stood up to the punishment of VHOL so I'm antsy to get that fucker on stage.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on March 25, 2014, 07:21:40 PM
An Eden 4x10 for $299? ??? "Our slave labor is the best!" Weird to see them going after the budget side of the market. Misprint? Is that price missing a "1" at the beginning?

I would look for pro reviews (bass player magazine.com, etc) and amateur user reviews... for everything. I usually do...

I looked a bit but couldn't find many reviews online. Will look more.

Slave labor... probably close, most certainly China  :(  I'd love to get a random used US made Peavey or whatever 4 ohm 4x10 but I want something easy to find an exact duplicate of if I want another in the future for more volume. 4 ohm vs 8 is a difference of 170 watts per channel with my power amp, maybe not worth the trouble however the extra power would certainly help assuming we are talking equally loud cabs. I had that amp clipping using one side (400 watts) into my two 8 ohm 2x12 cabs. Before anyone gets excited, this 4x10 desire is for my baritone for a different band idea. I may not be able to fit two 4x10s in my car with all of my other gear so 400 into a 4x10 might have to be loud enough. Saving longer for a better/louder cab would be the best idea of course, yes.

Lumpy

Look for cabinet efficiency ratings (again). The closer to 100dB the better (and some cabs go over 100). 1dB difference is noticeable. Supposedly all the manufacturers lie about their specs but what can you do?

What's your budget? Maybe you should look into Bergantino cabs, they are usually (relatively) light and efficient. For cheaper options, Avatar and Peavey.

Lumpy

mortlock

based on that orange tank thread, I say get an orange..

everdrone

Quote from: liquidsmoke on March 20, 2014, 11:19:22 PM
I wish there were more bro prices on Craigslist where I live. People tend to ask ebay prices for stuff here.

true dat

I used to have an ampeg 410 hlf that weighed 80 pounds

horrible lugging around on stairs, and angling into the compact car was insane!

I gave a bro deal onit, glad it is gone :)

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on March 26, 2014, 12:47:28 AM
Look for cabinet efficiency ratings (again). The closer to 100dB the better (and some cabs go over 100). 1dB difference is noticeable. Supposedly all the manufacturers lie about their specs but what can you do?

Yeah, I've heard that too. Some companies also list peak watts handling apparently hoping you'll assume they are talking RMS. Arg.

Quote from: Lumpy on March 26, 2014, 12:47:28 AM
What's your budget? Maybe you should look into Bergantino cabs, they are usually (relatively) light and efficient. For cheaper options, Avatar and Peavey.

My budget is basically nothing although I can spend maybe $200-300 after Friday but I shouldn't. The Bergantino stuff looks awesome but it's quite pricey.

Quote from: Lumpy on March 26, 2014, 12:54:30 AM
What about this, you can't beat the price. Big box means good lows.

http://madison.craigslist.org/msg/4353022579.html

Very good price. I'm thinking '700 watts program power handling' probably means about 400 RMS.

Quote from: mortlock on March 26, 2014, 12:57:04 AM
based on that orange tank thread, I say get an orange..

I could start offering my asshole on Craigslist for cash I guess..

Quote from: everdrone on March 26, 2014, 01:20:23 AM
I used to have an ampeg 410 hlf that weighed 80 pounds

horrible lugging around on stairs, and angling into the compact car was insane!

I gave a bro deal onit, glad it is gone :)

That sounds like pretty normal weight for a 4x10 although not fun.

liquidsmoke

Lumpy

Really good price, the boxes are large and squarish. Look up the dimensions. I think they aren't rated for a lot of watts (I had a Peavey 1820 and it's rated for like 200 watts). You could keep one as backup for when you blow the first one.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Lumpy on March 26, 2014, 04:29:59 PM
Really good price, the boxes are large and squarish. Look up the dimensions. I think they aren't rated for a lot of watts (I had a Peavey 1820 and it's rated for like 200 watts). You could keep one as backup for when you blow the first one.

If it wasn't an hour drive I'd probably at least go look at them. I might get some cheap cab more locally for the time being but I really should just save up and get something quality that I can slam 800 watts into.

liquidsmoke

Just read that the Eden EX410SC4 is built with press board if anyone was curious. Will avoid for sure.

Lumpy

I think press board could sound okay (I don't see why not, because you don't want a "resonant" bass cab) but they will be heavy (also good for bass sound) but if you drop them badly, you can be screwed.

I think the press board thing is one of those 'Rules' where in real life, many people are perfectly happy with their gear, and it's a bunch of 'concern trolls' wringing their hands on the sidelines. If a $100 cab gets you to the next level down the road (mixed metaphor) then it was a good decision. And you can re-sell it to the next dude.

Lumpy

(resonance means the cab is absorbing energy, instead of projecting it... could mean sweet toanz for a guitar cab, but not necessarily wanted in a bass cab).

liquidsmoke

I'd pick one of those up if I could find one used for $150 but they don't seem to be very common.

The concern troll I read that bit of info from said he found out about the construction after installing castors that started ripping out.

Mr. Foxen

Composite materials are good for non resonance if thick enough, but lack stiffness, so large panels flex and still lose energy unless are brutal heavy. There is no upside to weigh in itself. And once you are on to moving cabs, materials you can stick holes though that easily are a bit fail.

liquidsmoke

While we are on the topic of bass cabs, what do you techy folks think about neo speakers?