What are your band influences in your Original Music?

Started by everdrone, April 10, 2014, 02:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

king crimson,
black Sabbath,
Santana,
jimi
zappa
hawkwind,
JS bach,
Claude Debussey,
chet atkins and roy clark
weird al  yankovic
megadeth
GWAR
the ventures
yes
union station

probably no surprise my music is different heh

liquidsmoke

I forgot Solstice, Spirit Caravan, Celtic Frost, Mirror Of Deception, and Bathory.

Just listening to the riffs and vocals and making comparisons. I don't try to sound like anyone.

mortlock

Zappa
Anal Cunt
Sabbath
Lo-Fi Noisecore/Sludge
Black Metal
HNW

eyeprod

black sabbath
black flag
hawkwind
chrome

originally it was stevie wonder (he used to guest on sesame street)
then it was kiss
then led zeppelin
CV - Slender Fungus

Discö Rice

I kinda draw compositional ideas from all corners.

Creston Spiers, Melora Creager, Gizmak da Gusha, Perez Prado, Krzysztof Penderecki, Motorhead, Das Beatles, Sabbath, Melvins, and The Kinks come to mind. I once cited an example from a belle and sebastian song for an idea concerning a bridge in my old noisey apeshit hardcore band. They got it and we used it. Another time in a sludgier band I suggested a kind of Melvins-y change in a song and got shouted down with "WE'RE NOT THE FUCKING MELVINS!". No shit we weren't, or I would've been much sadder at the thought of that band's demise. Also the Melvins finished a song or two in their lifetime. (*Must control angry thoughts).
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Volume

Yesterday at practice we stole a drum fill from Toto-Africa and a beat from some Rush song.

Danny G

I have no fucking clue what to even call Ocean of Stars musically, let alone describe the sound, which is still in development.

Edit: Listening back to the mixes from tracking saxophone today, I'd say maybe a weird/awesome cross between Black Sabbath and Miles Davis. Without sounding like either of them.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Pissy

Back when we started it was inspired by the instrumental portions of a live Clutch show. It's morphed quite a bit in the subsequent 14 years. Wow. That's a long time.
Vinyls.   deal.

jibberish

thank you. those are truly my musical heroes. 

I have been kicking around:

"The jimi fripp carlos zappa house of worship and tomfoolarena" as a studio name for some time already

VOLVO)))

Disma, Incantation, Jungle Rot, Ringworm... Dead in the Dirt
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

you like ringworm?  i just saw one of the ringworm dudes. he is a glassblower and has a little head shop, right by where 252 tattoo is/was.
ringworm was always a raging show. those guys had so much energy

edit: im starting to wonder whether it wasn't the 252 tattoo guy. meh.everyone was in ringworm. so probably that whole strip of shops and the bar are probably all ringworm guys haha

JemDooM

Quick off the top of my head Eyehategod, Grief, Winter, Acid King, Thergothon, Venom, Bathory, Autopsy, Evoken, Isis!
DooM!

frobbert

In no order: Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake, (early) Metallica, Judas Priest, Danzig, AC/DC
bite me

Jake

We should open up this thread to non-original music. It's too exclusionary as is.

For example, a huge (huge, HUUUUGE!) influence of mine is AC/DC, when I'm playing AC/DC riffs.
poop.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

everdrone

Quote from: Jake on May 30, 2014, 12:35:37 PM
We should open up this thread to non-original music. It's too exclusionary as is.

For example, a huge (huge, HUUUUGE!) influence of mine is AC/DC, when I'm playing AC/DC riffs.

fill out ur top 10!!!

tossom

Random off the top of my head:

High on fire
Torche
Clutch
Kyuss
Black Sabbath
Free
Hendrix
Cream
Soundgarden