Favorite Judas Priest records

Started by Mr. Blue, March 01, 2011, 12:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Blue

I'm really into Hell Bent For Leather and Nostradamus lately.
3 reasons why James said that his Black Sabbath record was important:
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

GodShifter

I haven't heard Nostradamus at all.

My favorite studio albums are:

1. Hell Bent For The Leather
2. British Steel
3. Point Of Entry
4. Screaming For Vengeance
5. Sad Wings of Destiny (for its strong material, though I am not thrilled with the production of it - the tunes from Unleashed In The East that are from it, spoiled me - heard the studio after that one)

mortlock

sad wings of destany because of the weird guitar noise that happens in that solo..i love that part..

crunkhero

Sad Wings and Painkiller for me.  Don't really care for the rest of it.
Thirty-five dollars and a six pack to my name.

Mr. Blue

Really the only one i am having trouble with is Turbo.  Turbo just isn't holding my attention for some reason.  Painkiller is awesome, I put Angel of Retribution right behind it.  Nostradamus is quite the undertaking.  It is so diverse from most of their stuff that a person really need to devote time to listen to it.    Still need to get Stained Class though. 
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

RacerX

No love for Sin After Sin?

Aside from Last Rose of Summer, that's a solid record. Stained Class is right up there, too.

Livin' The Life.

The Shocker

Mr. Blue

Quote from: RacerX on March 02, 2011, 11:15:28 AM
No love for Sin After Sin?

Aside from Last Rose of Summer, that's a solid record. Stained Class is right up there, too.

Sin After Sin is awesome. 

I read somewhere that Angel of Retribution is part two of Sad Wings Of Destiny.  I found that interesting.  Gonna have to dork out and listen to those back to back.

Woody

Stained Class and Hell Bent For Leathers are definitely my 2 favorites, but I really like just about everything up to Defenders of The Faith. Even Rocka Rolla has a few decent songs (especially "Cheater"). I mainly listen to 70's Priest and am a little burnt on British Steel & Screaming For Vengeance but those are totally mint deluxe tapes for sure.

One of the best arena shows I ever saw was Priest at Madison Square Garden in 1982 on the Screaming tour with Iron Maiden opening. Fucking excellent.

Mr. Blue

Quote from: Woody on March 04, 2011, 11:09:53 AM
Stained Class and Hell Bent For Leathers are definitely my 2 favorites, but I really like just about everything up to Defenders of The Faith. Even Rocka Rolla has a few decent songs (especially "Cheater"). I mainly listen to 70's Priest and am a little burnt on British Steel & Screaming For Vengeance but those are totally mint deluxe tapes for sure.

One of the best arena shows I ever saw was Priest at Madison Square Garden in 1982 on the Screaming tour with Iron Maiden opening. Fucking excellent.

Everything I had heard in previous years seemed to come off of British Steel or Screaming for Vengeance.   Those are great albums, but not my first picks to listen to for me.  I'm hoping to have enough money to catch them on their current tour since it's suppose to be their last.  The 3 hour drive to Chicago or St. Louis is the main factor.

The Shocker

Anyone like Nostradamus?  I like it in that what the fuck were they thinking kind of way.  Not saying it's anywhere near a classic though...

Mr. Blue

Quote from: deaner33 on March 17, 2011, 02:14:25 PM
Anyone like Nostradamus?  I like it in that what the fuck were they thinking kind of way.  Not saying it's anywhere near a classic though...

Yeah, I like it.  I agree though, not a classic.

goldwater

1. hell bent for leather. thier best production and songs.                             
2. stained class. hero's end, white heat red hot, beyond the realms of death.                                                     
we all lost in 64

jibberish

ok heh...

painkiller is my alltime favorite.

BUT

sin after sin and point of entry are really 2 srs go-to albums. sin after sin is in the rotation right now.  man i love that album...

Eyehatehippies

Sad Wings of Destiny all the way.  That's by far my favourite.  The first four are all classics in my book, Hell Bent For Leather is still great, and I like everything up to Defenders.  My favourite metal band of all time.

Never really could get into Nostradamus though...

I was here, but I disappare.

EddieMullet

There's a record called Hero Hero that combines Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings of Destiny into a 2 LP set remixed by Rodger Bain that improves on the sound quality of both, but it's still not the greatest.

Also I've seen a re-master of Sad Wings of Destiny, but haven't heard it.

Favorite though is Stained Class.

The 12 inch dance remix of Turbo Lover (called the Hi Octane Mix) is so awful it is a must hear, if you have never heard it and I am not making this up, it really does exist.  I have it on a comp called Priest Live and Rare that can be found in the bargain bin fairly often.  Same comp also contains a killer versions of Starbreaker and  Beyond the Realms of Death and two versions of Breaking The Law.  Weird.

Eyehatehippies

Quote from: EddieMullet on May 30, 2011, 10:49:55 AM
There's a record called Hero Hero that combines Rocka Rolla and Sad Wings of Destiny into a 2 LP set remixed by Rodger Bain that improves on the sound quality of both, but it's still not the greatest.

Hero Hero is has the remixed version of Rocka Rolla, plus "Diamonds and Rust."  I have that on CD.  The 2nd LP is only SOME of Sad Wings of Destiny, and it is the original mix and mastering.

Lumpy

"Unleashed in the East"

(No poll?)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Woody

I blasted Hell Bent in the car the other day. What a great album. It's always a thrill to crank "Rock Forever" while cruising through the projects in Red Hook with the windows down.

Isabellacat

i'm with EddieMullet here....

Stained Class

has always been my favorite Priest record,and generally one of the best metal albums ever written.

Eyehatehippies

Quote from: Woody on May 31, 2011, 10:53:27 AM
I blasted Hell Bent in the car the other day. What a great album. It's always a thrill to crank "Rock Forever" while cruising through the projects in Red Hook with the windows down.

I of course dig the hell out of the Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac cover, and it is indeed a great album. I love everything up to Defenders.

However, I'll take the first four over anything after the first four, personally.

EddieMullet

You're right  Hero Hero is missing Epitaph and Island of Domination, but all the songs sound similar mix wise, which is why I thought Rodger Bain remixed them all.  It's funny too my copy of Hero Hero credits "Bob Halford" with vocals.

My copy of Hero Hero is some weird Spanish pressing, it says made in Spain on the back and everything except the album title, song titles and the band members and producers names are in Spanish.

Dr. Skeeter

Sad Wings. Fucking classic. That is all.

Naxzul

Screaming for Vengeance is the one I play the most.

Let's hear it for Turbo!!! No? Ok then.
http://deadriverrunsdry.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/DeadRiverRunsDry