Am I the only one NOT excited about the new Star Wars movie?

Started by gritty_fingers, July 23, 2014, 08:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gritty_fingers

Like many of you, I grew up loving Star Wars. Hell I saw the original movie in the theater 4 times when I was a kid. I saw 'Empire' in English and Spanish. I had the old Kenner toys including the X-Wing, the Death Star, various action figures, etc.

But my love for all things Star Wars dimmed with Phantom Menace. The 2nd movie after that was like watching a video game. The bad cartoons, Jar Jar Binks, etc. It's a bit too much.

Now J.J. Abrams is directing the new films. I did not like what he did to the Star Trek reboot so I am pesimistic about this.

Thoughts?
"Ginger People"

ez

I'll watch it, but only because there's no way it will be any worse than Episode I.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

amadkins

You are not the only one. Also, with Lucas's refusal to put out the original versions on DVD/bluray there's little reason for me to support the franchise.

I'd like my sons to see the same films I did as a kid, not some hacked up shite with bad cg scenes packed in.

The Shocker

Yeah, I'll see them, but I'm not pumped about it.

I am the difficult brown.

ez

Quote from: amadkins on July 23, 2014, 09:45:41 AM
You are not the only one. Also, with Lucas's refusal to put out the original versions on DVD/bluray there's little reason for me to support the franchise.

I'd like my sons to see the same films I did as a kid, not some hacked up shite with bad cg scenes packed in.

If you do bittorrent, there's some pretty decent, fan-made "high def" versions of the original, unaltered movies that you can find online.

Otherwise there's always the 2-disc DVDs that have the unaltered movies on the bonus disc of each movie.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two-Disc-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B000FQJAIW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1406126559&sr=8-6&keywords=star+wars+DVD
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Dylan Thomas

I have the original versions on DVD. Saw them all in the theater as a child.

I am extremely excited about the new movie. I love the newer movies, although Phantom Menace was by far the weakest.

I also love the Clone Wars animated series and own all the DVD's...
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

mortlock

im hoping abrams can save the franchise. I really don't see how he can make it worse. I don't hate what he did with star trek. other than too much crying, it was a cool movie. he better not make han cry.. he can make luke and lea cry. but not han. or r2-d2. c3po can cry.  

im really looking forward to the offshoots. the new character films should be awesome. I think they are doing a han solo movie..that will be sick as fuck if they do.

jmucke

Should be better than Ep. 1 - 3 but that doesn't mean much. I rewatched the original trilogy with my son a couple of years ago and realized that some things should be left in the past. Didn't age well.

amadkins

Quote from: ez on July 23, 2014, 10:44:34 AM
Quote from: amadkins on July 23, 2014, 09:45:41 AM

If you do bittorrent, there's some pretty decent, fan-made "high def" versions of the original, unaltered movies that you can find online.

Otherwise there's always the 2-disc DVDs that have the unaltered movies on the bonus disc of each movie.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two-Disc-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B000FQJAIW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1406126559&sr=8-6&keywords=star+wars+DVD

I've run across those before. I shouldn't have put DVD in there. I'm looking for high def versions since I'm a fat, rich American.

ez

Narco Pollo

I have the original ones on Beta, and a Beta player.  I should rip them some time.
Drug Chicken

mortlock

Quote from: Narco Pollo on July 27, 2014, 08:13:53 PM
I have the original ones on Beta, and a Beta player.  I should rip them some time.
classics!!

Jor el

The Clone Trooper helmets did nothing for me.

The new StormTrooper helmet design ain't too shabby.

What Would Scooby Do ?

stooge

i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

MichaelZodiac

Weird, I thought more people were excited aboot this. I think they're hoping that what Abrams did with the first Star Trek, he can do in the Star Wars universe. Read: a blockbuster that's exciting and new with room to improve. VIII will Rian Johnson have as a director so my guess is that the trilogy will peak with the second one like the old ones.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: ez on July 23, 2014, 08:22:09 AM
I'll watch it, but only because there's no way it will be any worse than Episode I.

this
I play bass in THORUN

Facebook  www.facebook.com/Thorunband
Music       www.thorun.bandcamp.com
Youtube   www.youtube.com/user/Thorunband

sleestak

I'm super excited for it but as I get older I get excited less about things.   The practical effects and things look good.  It's just a movie so I just don't care.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

sleestak

Killing threads is my business and business is good.

deleted account

ok what possible purpose do those two cross saber pieces serve other than to slice laser gashes into yourself while fighting?

Jor el

A cross guard on a regular normal the sword would help to protect your hand.

In terms of a lightsaber hilt - if'n those cross guards came straight ootta the grip there would be no problem (except laser gashes).

However, they do not. There are outcroppings which would get chopped off just before your hand.

Foolishness.

What Would Scooby Do ?

mortlock

SPOILER ALERT.

i heard they are mini lasers and shoot out.

the story line in this movie is going to be awesome. han and queen leia are estranged from eachother and han dies by the hand of kilo ren, his son.

Lumpy

I've never been excited about a Star Wars movie, ever... I've never even seen one. This is kind of weird, since I briefly worked doing computer animated effects. (I also never saw Blade Runner, but I have downloaded it and it's on my list of Things To Do).

Which one would be the best one to start with - the original? Should I go in chronological order like the rest of the world?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

socket

Fucking hipster. Watch episode 4 and 5 and I guess 6.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.