Help me select a cool fuzz pedal

Started by Dylan Thomas, July 03, 2015, 10:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dylan Thomas

So for the new Palace In Thunderland recording, we're going a bit old school.  It's more space rock/acid punk, like the first two Monster Magnet records.

As such, I'm looking for a distinctive, cool fuzz tone to use for these songs.  I have a few fuzz pedals, a Big Muff, a Tonebender, a Fuzz Face.  I'm looking for something a bit more interesting/less stock sounding.  I have a J Everman Fuzz Drive, though I use that more for really pushing an already overdriven amp.  I'm using an Orange OR120, so my raw amp tone is pretty squeaky clean, and I get my grit from my stomp boxes.

There's a ton of cool fuzzes out there to choose from, that's my dilemna....

Suggestions??
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Danny G

I'm def not a fuzz connoisseur, but the Creepy Fingers Harakiri Fuzz (the one fuzz I own/have ever used, traded a pedalboard to Brad himself for it) is pretty insane.

I'd say think of cool fuzz tones you've heard in the past and see if you can track down online what fuzz was used.

Then try em out at the store, along with whatever else they have that you've never heard of, see what happens.

I finally got around to recording a track with the Harakiri (all rhythm guitars and bass), I'll dig up a link and post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Danny G

https://soundcloud.com/dannyg-music/04-track-04-1

I can't tell if this version has bass on it (iPhone) but you get the idea.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

Dylan Thomas

That sounds pretty decent, thanks!  Definitely one to keep in mind....

Keep 'em coming folks.  I needs to gets my full fuzz on....

Jake

Don't have much firsthand experience with them, but it seems that one go-to for a really wild fuzz is the Zvex Fuzz Factory.
poop.

VOLVO)))

Very little usable shit in the fuzz factory, IMO.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eyeprod

agreed ^. Fun toy, but not much for real use.

I quite like my Dwarfcraft Great Destoyer clone that I built. Super simple digital circuit. Gets crazy with your tone and volume knobs when set a certain way. Also insane on bass with the right setting. Put that thing before a crybaby and look out. Mine freaks out in a lovely self-oscillating frenzy, but it could have to do with my modded crybaby too. I shouldn't give away any more secrets, but try it.
CV - Slender Fungus

MichaelZodiac

I like upper octave fuzzes. So much wild stuff there, especially if you use them to blast a mid gain overdrive or another fuzz like a Big Muff into complete fuzzian volumes.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

Lumpy

The Fuzz Factory has a bunch of great sounds on tap, but you have to tweak it. Better for recording than live, probably. The knobs are really interactive.

You mentioned owning a bunch of classic variants, but no Rat on your list, and no Superfuzz, and no Octavia (as mentioned). Those would be good ones to look into.

You could also experiment with stacking... run your Everman overdrive or Rat (with medium or low gain - experiment) into your Muff.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: Lumpy on July 03, 2015, 07:00:39 PM
The Fuzz Factory has a bunch of great sounds on tap, but you have to tweak it. Better for recording than live, probably. The knobs are really interactive.

You mentioned owning a bunch of classic variants, but no Rat on your list, and no Superfuzz, and no Octavia (as mentioned). Those would be good ones to look into.

You could also experiment with stacking... run your Everman overdrive or Rat (with medium or low gain - experiment) into your Muff.

I do have two Rats, and I've stacked the Everman before, it sounds pretty good with other pedals.  I've run both the Rat and Big Muff, that sounds pretty cool,

I have thought about an Octavia, though I don't have a Superfuzz, nor a Maestro style one.  I thought about a Fuzz Factory and some of those wilder fuzzes two, though I agree with whoever said those are more "studio" style pedals.

I'm looking for something that's going to be good with riffs and chords, not just wild leads....

I'm going to check out that Dwarfcraft.

Lumpy

I think the Dwarfcraft one is more of a wild noisemaker. There's a Starve knob which makes the signal unstable (like a dying battery). It can get really glitchy. You don't have to engage that knob though.

If you like the idea of a little bit of glitchiness, check out a Scrambler. It's an octave fuzz that is just slightly glitchy. I think Cactus used a Scrambler.

My favorite fuzz (on bass, but I don't think it matters) is the Superfuzz, it has lots of gravelly texture and good note definition. The Superfuzz is kind of it's own thing.

Also, as I said elsewhere, the Hendrixy octave-up solo sound is really missing from the stoner rock genre. I'm sure people are using it, but I'm not aware. Of course, it helps if you can solo like a bad-ass too. The guitar solo is a dying art though.

Beta Cloud

so many options bro.
an orange or 120 is a monster of an amp. my bud used to have one, massive headroom, but a nice brit klang.  he used an old mxr distortion plus dimed into it. fuzzy as fuck.

my current faves are these, (pardon my cheesy vids)-

an mxr foxx tone machine clone

superfuzz clone. listen to what happens at 1:40 when i hit the 'loose/leeds' switch.

these are pretty much different fuzzes than the ones you got so i hope it helps.

also, since that amp has such nice headroom, but a 'klang' when cranked... maybe try a germanium treble booster into it, thinking that could be pretty fucking cool! either way let us know what you come up with-
why does it hurt when i pee?

Beta Cloud

Quote from: Lumpy on July 03, 2015, 07:00:39 PM

THIS.
why does it hurt when i pee?

johnny problem

I don't have a huge experience base on fuzz, but I do own a Blue box, Big Muff, and a BAT Black Forest.  The black forest gives me the tone I want in the fuzz, mixed with my amps gain.  I can get dopesmoker sounds with it, or Fu Manchu style fuzz, or dial it back enough to get the sweet spot break up.  I'm not trying to toot up Marks gear, but man, just check out his shit, I'm really certain you'd like it.  On a side note, I've been listening to you're material for several years, it's worth checking Black Arts Toneworks.

Lumpy

Yes, check out Black Arts Toneworks, he has all kinds of great fuzz, designed specifically with people like you in mind.

Baltar

^^^^2nd that vote for Black Arts! He still posts here right?

Also: http://www.edmundell.com/#!gear/c1u1a

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Lumpy

You could also look into Earthquaker Devices, they make a lot of fuzzes (some are their versions of the Muff) but specifically the Fuzz Master General.

The Riffer

I do still post here!!
When I have something relevant add.

OP, if you're interested in anything of my build, email me, and I can get you set up.
I think everyhting has at least one demo on Youtube.

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

giantchris

Black Arts Toneworks or one of the Malekko fuzzes (like the Diabolique or Bassmaster) are definitely unique.

Dylan Thomas

Okay, been looking into Creepy Fingers (I liked the tones on the stuff Danny G posted, and that Ed Mundell pedal is intriguing....) and Black Arts Toneworks.  Those pedals look intense, good call dudes.  Running into the same problem though, so many great choices even within the BAT catalog....

Also looking into some of the single pedals mentioned in this thread.  Hmmmm....

khoomeizhi

yep, sounds like homework time.

(and maybe:
http://pedalgenie.com/
...which would let you try a lot of stuff, just not maybe side to side)
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Danny G

I should clarify the wah track on the song I posted was not using the fuzz

db3jed

Here's another vote for BAT, specifically the Pharaoh Supreme.
I've had more fun turning the knobs on this pedal than any other piece of gear I can remember.
It reacts differently to every guitar and doesn't homogenize the tone like other fuzzes I own/owned.
Granted, this is the first "boutique" fuzz pedal I've ever bought but holy shit, I personally can't imagine needing or wanting anything more than this pedal gives me.
Color me a fan boy for BAT.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: db3jed on July 05, 2015, 11:13:27 AM
Here's another vote for BAT, specifically the Pharaoh Supreme.
I've had more fun turning the knobs on this pedal than any other piece of gear I can remember.
It reacts differently to every guitar and doesn't homogenize the tone like other fuzzes I own/owned.
Granted, this is the first "boutique" fuzz pedal I've ever bought but holy shit, I personally can't imagine needing or wanting anything more than this pedal gives me.
Color me a fan boy for BAT.

I appreciate the glowing endorsement, especially since the Pharaoh Supreme seemed like the most suitable for what I do....

bbottom

The Hari Kari from creepy Fingers is very awesome. Most of the bass tracks that I've recorded have had that on it. They aren't cheap but they do sound awesome