Main Menu

Coffee

Started by Pissy, January 06, 2016, 07:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

Got this badass unit for Xmas.

So far I've been using Cafe Bustelo.  I can only handle one double per day. The other day I made the mistake of two doubles. I was wired like a Haitian slum - pretty shaky and on edge.

Planning on a good grinder next. Also need to replace the tamper I use back to my brother.
Anyone use an Aeropress?  Looks like a good cheap method.

It takes all of my will to not pull multiple shots of this thing. Shit is really good.
Vinyls.   deal.

RacerX

Must be nice!

Me, I use cheap Mexican espresso and a Braun machine from 1990...
Livin' The Life.

khoomeizhi

i quit coffee in 2000 because of what it did to my guts. cheers to all who can still have it and enjoy the good stuff,
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Pissy on January 06, 2016, 07:32:54 PM
Anyone use an Aeropress?  Looks like a good cheap method.

I picked one up. Not much of a coffee drinker, but I keep instant about for when people come by, except housemates casually use it until whole jar is gone, so I've switched to having proper coffee about so they can't be lazy cunts, but the Aeropress still makes it easy for me. I've had a fair few cups from it, seems OK.

HP-KEEF-MAKER

Not much of a cork sniffer when it comes to coffee. I do like myself some decent dark roast though. Drink it alot too. Just rocking some cheapie coffee maker. Nothing fancy.

Coffee made on a campfire on a cosy morning in the middle of a forest - that's the real shit.

mortlock

pumpkin spice is my fucking favorite coffee. period. i dont care if you think im a trendy hipster fag.

black

Behind the scenes at Hades Mining Company..
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Lumpy

Whole Foods 365 (generic house brand) "Pleasant Morning Buzz" is a good balance of quality vs. price.

I can't drink Bustelo or other cheap brands anymore (Pilon, etc). Great prices but too muddy.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

neighbor664

Anyone give cold brewing their coffee a try? I've been doing it for about the last week with great results.
For such a simple concept it sure makes a tasty and potent cup of coffee.

Adam

Quote from: neighbor664 on May 14, 2016, 01:31:51 PM
Anyone give cold brewing their coffee a try? I've been doing it for about the last week with great results.

Not a fan of cold brewed coffee at all, personally.  Something about it just does not work for me, not sure I could explain/specify what though.

mortlock

i used to love coffee ice cream before i became lactose intolerant.

neighbor664

Quote from: Adam on May 24, 2016, 08:27:14 PM

Not a fan of cold brewed coffee at all, personally.  Something about it just does not work for me, not sure I could explain/specify what though.

Is it the taste or the preparation for you?

MadJohnShaft

You are brewing like normal, but drinking over ice or something else?
Some days chickens, some days feathers

neighbor664

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on May 25, 2016, 10:26:24 AM
You are brewing like normal, but drinking over ice or something else?

In cold brew you are basically substituting time for heat. Heat releases acids and bitterness and destroys caffeine.
Fancy tools are optional, but not necessary for good results.

- 2 tablespoons of coffee grounds(course) in a 16oz mason jar
- add cold water
- let steep at room temp for 12 to 24 hrs.
- strain through reusable mesh filter
- drink cold or warm up in the microwave.
Couldn't be simpler.

RacerX

I love cold-brewed.

It's a lot easier to make with a French press, though...
Livin' The Life.

Lumpy

I must like the acids and bitterness. Cold-brewed coffee has lacked the same excitement, when I've tried it. Seems to be missing some familiar flavors. Same thing with most coffee that's described as being "smooth" etc (exception: Stumptown).

I mixed sound at a hip-hop show for a little while. Sometimes the performers would complain about the volume, it was plenty loud, I figured out it was because because the speakers weren't distorting. Speaker distortion = "loud enough". Maybe it's kinda the same thing? Acids and bitterness = "strong"?

neighbor664

Quote from: RacerX on May 25, 2016, 04:51:08 PM
I love cold-brewed.

It's a lot easier to make with a French press, though...

The amount of ease is negligible to me considering I already own all the supplies and they are already super easy to use and clean.
I could buy a lot of good coffee for the cost of a press that I'll probably break in a month, as is my track record.

Jor el

I like my coffee like I like my women -

Black and in the can.

What Would Scooby Do ?

black

I like my coffee like I my exs;

Hot and Bitter.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Adam

Quote from: neighbor664 on May 25, 2016, 12:23:53 AM
Quote from: Adam on May 24, 2016, 08:27:14 PM

Is it the taste or the preparation for you?

Taste....as I have never prepared it myself.

Lumpy

Bump... I bought one of those single-serving porcelain cones you put a paper filter in, for pour-over coffee. I love it. The coffee is at least as good as my French press makes, with super easy cleanup. I kind of hate washing the French Press for some reason.

I have a paperless single serving metal pour-over filter from Vietnam, but I noticed the silver (nickel?) surface was flaking off in places, and I don't want to swallow any of that, so...

RAGER

I have one of those in my desk at work.

This is damn good coffee.

No Focus Pocus

neighbor664

These days pour over is the only way I go. Making one mug at a time keeps me from drinking the whole pot too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lumpy

Swore off Bustelo brand for years because it was too muddy, but using a pour-over filter it's pretty good. Also like 1/3 the price of what I usually buy.

In the past, I was using a French press and before that, the stovetop 2-chamber thing. Got burnt out on Bustelo making coffee that way.

I'm sure a premium coffee would be even better, but Bustelo is tasting pretty good at the moment.

RAGER

Got some Puff. Dude that started Stumptown started roasting small batches under this name. Pretty good.

No Focus Pocus