Kitchen Gadgets

Started by black, June 22, 2016, 01:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muffin Man

oh ps. black garlic. did our cali chef friend mention this? make it in a rice cooker. that one ingredient alone would make the investment worthwile for me.

RAGER

If I were to buy a rice cooker it'd probably be a Zojirushi.

Now the wife has me having second thoughts about the induction burner.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

We didn't do much for gifts but wifey got me these.

I like whisks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Close to pulling the trigger on one of these. Kezuriki.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

RAGER

Katsuo bushi block. Dried and smoked skipjack or bonito and the shaving box.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

im getting ready to do a spin off on dcs that involves kitchen gadgets.

RAGER

Mighty interested in what gadgets are used in the DCS set.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

I'll wait for the DCS reveal but I used a gadget today that was so perfect for the job that it couldn't have been done better any other way. I was so giddy about it. It'll be obviously common but not 100% in every single kitchen. (ps. it has to do with taking diced tomats down to the desired consistency.)

RAGER

Jesus. I don't have words.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

RAGER

New appliance day.

Got a new countertop oven/air fryer. Don't know how much I'll use the air fryer but it's there.

No Focus Pocus

James1214

Rager, I've been looking at that one. My trusty Hamilton Beach toaster oven is starting to run cooler than I set it, i.e. Toast takes longer than it used to.

I had a digitally controlled one years ago and I hated it, knobs are the way to go, for sure.

I'm thinking it'll be an Xmas gift to myself, or I'll ask the lady for it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

words

RAGER

My Kitchenaid fizzled, sparked and sent out a puff of smoke so....

This is the TOA-60. I pored over several models. I wanted a big one cuz I use it as an oven unless I need to do a sheet pan of something. I def didn't want digital cuz circuit boards and heat. I also didn't need a rotisserie. Many of the larger ones have the damn rotisserie too.

Big enough to put a 10" cast iron, small roasting pans and do a 12" pizza. Also I was curious if the air fryer. I've used it a couple times. So far so good.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I think it's safe to call the air fryer function on that one a convection oven.  I think you may find good uses for it over time that aren't just futzing around. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Ok fuck it. I'm getting a Zojirushi rice cooker for my birthday.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Yes!!

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Looks like a Mighty Morphin Power Rice Cooker.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I don't even have kids bug I recognize that as a cartoon reference.

Did sticky rice earlier now I'm doing some jasmine.

I'll delve into more Japanese takigomi gohan stuff soon.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

So awesome this thing has a warm/reheat function. It'll keep rice warm for literally days. I made sticky rice yesterday then got up this morning and had some with breakfast right out of the cooker.

The setting goes for 99 hours.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

RAGER

Hope not. That thing weren't cheap.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

oops, sorry, crossed my wires - it's I that's been had! Was on a goosehunt last night for a rice cooker. /just trying to keep up. If I get into sticky rice I'll have to get a sushi roller

box store has a S. Korean rice cooker for $100. 3.5/5 stars

Muffin Man

Made a trip to the warehouse store and chatted with a lady buying oil for her deep fryer. Sold! I went for a 2-pack of the frying oil she uses. Now I need to find a small deep fry to do oysters and tempura. Costco didn't have one. I'd actually like to get a good one, pay for quality and have it long term. not going to fry that often, will temper that in moderation. But theres just some things that need deep instead of the stovetop alternative - give me the the countertop electric purpose built. Lemme know if you see one. So excited to get a first batch in!