Kitchen Gadgets

Started by black, June 22, 2016, 01:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black

Necessary or Nuisance?

I saw this article and it had me thinking about kitchen gadgets;

https://consumerist.com/2016/06/16/8-gadgets-devoted-solely-to-spreading-butter-on-stuff/

I have a pro ice cream scoop, a special spoon for doling out cookie dough (that doesn't work that great)

That's all I can think of right now.

What do you have and is it helpful or just more crap cluttering up a drawer?
I have a pretty basic kitchen set-up and am open to suggestions.
Plus I'd like to see more goofy stuff like those butter knives as well.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

MadJohnShaft

I'm with Alton Brown - no uni-taskers allowed. Except, I got a Strawberry huller which is a Godsend.

I think it's great to have more than one of items that are used a lot. Why can't one have 3 vegetable peelers? Always one clean. And two sets of measuring cups, and four tongs.

A fancy Thermapen is a must.

It's important to replace the grater every few years, as it gets remarkably dull.

In the bad cooler in the basement,  I keep all extra things that would be handy at a picnic - paper plates, cups, knapkins, matches, plastic silverware, the old knife, bottle opener, wine screw, old cutting board, plyers, paper towels, wert wipes, fucked up old spatulas  - instead of hunting around, I just throw that in the back of the car and instant outdoor picnic!

Some days chickens, some days feathers

black

I'm feeling better about my impliment collection after reading that.

Fancy Thermapen---check
Multiple tongs, spatulas, wooden spoons and veg peelers---check
Picnic supplies (cutting board, old knives and such) in central container---check

I also save those packages of disposable cutlery that come with a napkin and salt and pepper and keep them in my picnic/camping chest.

MadJohnShaft

Last spring our microwave crapped out so I went to BBB and got a new one for $200

Then I went to a rummage sale last weekend and saw the same one as our old model for $10

Fucking shit!

black

I hope you used your 20% off coupon.

MadJohnShaft

I keep dropping hints to wifey for a sous vide for my 50th bday in August - which I can use for many Shaft Projects™.

Or a threesome with my hot secretary - which I can use for many Shaft Projects™.

black

A Birthday Threesome?
Now that's good eatin'!

Mr. Foxen

I have sous vide gear I bought when I refitted my kitchen and still aren't got round to using it. Its a shared house and the first person to move in after I refitted the kitchen commenced breaking everything in there in the first 6 weeks. How the fuck you break an electric kettle I don't know. Oh, I'm tricked the fuck out with Le Creuset pans too, took up dealing them on ebay and kept all the best stuff.

MadJohnShaft

To get Le Crueset pots sparkling white again, I have powdered brewery wash (PBW) that I use in beer making. Stick a tablespoon full over night and it is bright white again in a day.

It's not a harsh chemical like barkeepers friend and works without any scrubbing

mortlock

im gonna post a pic of the spatula my lovely assistant just picked up as soon as i can get one. its like an old time viking weapon. 

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Nice cast iron collection.  Are those muffin pans from back in the day?   Me and SparkleMotion went through a phase of electrolytic cast iron restoration and got some nice pieces.  Fell in love with a Wagner square skillet that we restored for someone else.  Been casually looking for one since. 

I try to stay away from gadgets.  Like Alton Brown. My brother was a total gadget guy.   Cleaning out his house we chucked tons of those things. 

About 8 years ago my microwave shit the bed and I decided I could live without.  Too much counter space to give up, and they're junk now and don't last anyways.  Only miss it to heat up cups of coffee.
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Man I wish those were mine. Just a pic I found.

I think I remember you guys doing that.

He was out here I think last year. We spoke on the phone and tried to connect up but it just didn't work out.

Main thing I use the micro for is quick thaw. That's about it.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Not a big gadget guy but a little chopper comes in handy. I gave a mini cuisinart but it blows. Made some salsa in this. Works great.

No Focus Pocus

Sparkle Motion

Quote from: RAGER on February 18, 2021, 04:03:37 PM
Not a big gadget guy but a little chopper comes in handy. I gave a mini cuisinart but it blows. Made some salsa in this. Works great.

Did you also get a sham wow to clean up the mess?
"There ain't much difference between the man I wanna be and the man that I really am."

RAGER

It actually works really well. No mess so far but I've only used it once
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Picked this up from an estste sale. $4. Wolfgang puck cafe collection. Its awesome for smash burgers. Pics have the remnants of last nights smashburgs.
On a side note the house this came from was a million dollar lakefront home. The view from the massive living room was so amazing. They had their own boat dock slip.

RAGER

Your next door neighbor?  I know you and J.P. would go out for a cruise in the Vintage Riva Tritone from time to time.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

Fuck i wish. You could give me the house for free and i still couldnt afford to live there due to the taxes.

Muffin Man

nice score on that spatula. Looks like it'll hold up.

socket

I need to implement a better image posting dealio
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

RAGER

What did you have in mind?  I just use Imgur
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I'm actually thinking about getting a rice cooker. Anybody else use one?  Is it because you aren't successful cooking rice on the stove?  I don't have an issue with that but peer pressure is getting to me. I guess they work for sticky rice too which is a bonus. I'm thinking a Zojirushi one of sorts.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Nix the rice cooker. I'm staying old school. But now I'm thinking induction burner. Doing some digging (not research. I hate that word now) to find the right one. Just one burner with lots of settings and reliability. Any opinions? 
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

no but I've been after a high btu single burner, i think gas might do it best? I was prompted by seasoning my steel pans originally, red hot, but that is long past now unless I re-do them but no reason for me to do so. no good for rice but high searing, flash frying, I guess, would be a nifty tool. too bad you tossed the rice cooker, I was going top copy your move. thanks for posting your stuff.