Kitchen Gadgets

Started by black, June 22, 2016, 01:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James1214

So I fry fairly often, and I just use a heavy pot, attach a candy thermometer to the pot, get to the desired temperature and toss your stuff in. Use a spider strainer to fish the golden goodness out. When all done, and the oil is cool I strain through cheesecloth or a fine medhed seive into a one or two large glass mason jars. If you're going to use it in a timely fashion toss it into the fridge, if not put it in the freezer.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
words

Muffin Man

oh, man, thank you so much, James1214! That will now be my modus operandi. Thanks, friend. Will report back.

Is "mezhed drive" meshed filter? I need that and a mezhed drive for my stovetop fry pan, to stop splatter.

Pissy

Meshed sieve, I think.  Like this.

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Also if you're going to re-use oil, chicken oil is good for fish, oysters but the other way around might impart some unwanted flavors into your bird or cheese or veg tempura.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

ah! thanks chef. another reason to go small, just a few oysters, prawns, in a small volume oil cooker, so changing oil isn't a prob. hey i might even have 2 jugs, one for this one for that. also, donuts.

James1214

I was stoned as fuck and yes "mezhed drive" is a mesh seive. I use the finest one I have.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

words

Muffin Man

looking into kitchen brushes for marinating, basting but probably no pastry work. I could get a paint brush but then there's the silicon marinating brush that looks easier to clean. There's even a bulb container with a built-in silicon brush. Probably have to have a couple kinds on hand. The 39cent paintbrush is so practical but, Any ideas? Also will gift one or two so nice ones would be cool to know about.

Pissy

I have both.  The paintbrush leaves hairs.  The silicon one sometimes has the head slip off.  I prefer the silicon.  No idea on a top of the line model.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I've had this one quite a while

Dexas 8 inch Silicone Basting Brush with Stainless Steel Handle, Red https://a.co/d/1O1tkvQ
No Focus Pocus

sleestak

And I've been slumming it over here with a wooden handled baster. 
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Muffin Man

Alright I ordered one of each, wooden handle and, stainless. Both silicon brush. One is for gift hopefully the wooden one from Staub if its as good as it looks. The other one from Lodge with a cast iron sauce pan. It's Lodge vs Staub! tbc

Pissy

Chainmail rag for cast iron pans.  Works good.   It also is useful in the wood shop for burnishing wood surfaces.  

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I've mulled over getting one of those many times but I just go for the space pussy's.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I also use it on casserole dishes and the smoker grate. I find lots of things to do with it. 

One time it fell into the disposal.  That was interesting.
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

Quote from: Pissy on August 09, 2023, 06:08:53 AMI also use it on casserole dishes and the smoker grate. I find lots of things to do with it. 

One time it fell into the disposal.  That was interesting.
first world problems.

Pissy

Says the guy who complains his woman makes the AC too cold. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

I bought 4 salvage Hobart meat slicers to hopefully refurbish and or part out for fun, profit and personal use.  Holy shit, those parts are expensive.  Even used they're out there. New OEM parts, fugettaboutit. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

That's awesome. It'd be neat to have one. Super handy. Tomatoes, onions, taters, meatloaf, sausage, fennel, jicama, sensitive documents
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

RAGER

Yes those.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I never realized how heavy one of them was.   They're 100lbs +.  I always thought it'd be awesome to have one too, but am realizing the impracticality given the weight.  I mean, where am I going to keep it, given that it isn't easy to pull out of the pantry or even hand truck it through a door?  I almost need a remote kitchen/meat locker type space.  Perhaps I turn the garage into a processing plant.   Hmm. 
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Oh totally. Industrial. Can say for sure but there's probably weights inside for balance and stability. Cleaning them can be exciting too.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

A couple small additions to the arsenal.

Big tweezers for turning delicate things and large herb extraction.

Thought I'd try the silpat thing too.

No Focus Pocus

mortlock

i need to crank out some tools of the trade episodes.
on DCS