Main Menu

Black Russian Muffs

Started by Ranbat, April 05, 2011, 10:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

I picked a pair up off CL pretty cheap. One is in great shape and the other has had a Strat dropped on it and it broke the jacks. I have one already, but the price was too good. I decided to compare the one that works to the one I already have. The one I have is a 2009 and the one I just picked up a 2002. The 2002 is dirtier and a little darker sounding. It's not like it's a completely different pedal, they both basically sound the same, but the 2002 is just a little more to my taste. I know this happens with pedals, amps and guitars, it's just proves to me that guitar players are never really satisfied with their sound.

The broken one is a 2000. Anybody here got any suggestions for places for replacement parts? Yeah, I can Google that shit, but I like recommendations too. Thanx.
Meh :/

Ranbat

I did find these guys on a Google search, ever dealt with them? It appears the parts are quality replacements.

Lumpy

In my experience, Small Bear is a slow shipper. It took almost two weeks to get some parts, and we are located in the same town. I'm not saying don"t use them, just don't be in a hurry.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Lumpy

Also, juts out of curiosity, what is a good price on a black russian muff now? I paid 35 a few years ago but looks like prices are going up.

Ranbat

I paid $25 for the two w/ the wooden boxes and inserts. One is a 6 screw which are listed around $100 on ebay. The other is a 4 screw and those seem to range from $50-$100. My local GC has had a couple in priced at $80 and they don't last long. I'm in no hurry, so I'm gonna try Small Bear and see how long it takes.

Lumpy

Mike_Sims

That's odd they took so long to ship your order. I'm all the way in California and got it within a week. I deal with them all the time, real quality parts, really organized too. There's also these guys, I've never dealt with them (yet) though.
http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/

Lumpy

Small Bear could have been out of town, who knows why it took so long (one man operation, I believe). I've heard other people say he's slow too, though. Most of the time, we don't need parts for an emergency, so not too big of a deal.

VOLVO)))

These prices for these are fucking goofy. I've got a bunch of them, I use them for mod-platforms because they used to be 25 dollars all day on CL? I've probably butchered 6 or 7 of them before I even knew what a resistor was.

Such is life in Moscow.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

LogicalFrank

Seriously... Perceived rarity is a bitch I guess. They are good sounding pedals but not exactly well made.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

LogicalFrank

Though if mine is a six screw, I'm totally putting it up on eBay and using the money towards a high quality clone.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

VOLVO)))

Quote from: LogicalFrank on April 07, 2011, 10:04:47 AM
Though if mine is a six screw, I'm totally putting it up on eBay and using the money towards a high quality clone.

Opportunist prick! :D I'm playing my 6 screw right now, with a few new jacks and some diode changes, it's a nice pedal...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

LogicalFrank

I think it sounds just great as it is... when the jacks aren't cutting out.

LogicalFrank

Mine is only four screw. Damn it all!

justinhedrick

Quote from: LogicalFrank on April 08, 2011, 11:43:33 AM
Mine is only four screw. Damn it all!

i think i have a 6 screw one and a 4 screw one. both need love.

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Baltar

VOLVO)))

You have to be shitting me, GC.com has one for 90 dollars...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Ranbat

Quote from: Baltar on April 24, 2011, 11:55:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Electro-Harmonix-BIG-MUFF-Pi-FUZZ-SOVTEK-MADE-RUSSIA-/330543336360?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4cf5eb0ba8

I've done some poking at the EH forums and alot of guys there are saying the Bass Big Muff is essentially the same thing with better parts. But, like has been mentioned above, perceived value is a bitch.

Baltar

No kidding.  My Ronsound was only $134 shipped and those are up there with the Skreddy and S.U.F. Muffs.

omie

I picked up a 2002 last week for $50 from CL.  Anyone else using it on Bass?  Its a pretty severe low end loss. I liked it better than the BBM and had an EQ laying around.
... real talk

VOLVO)))

You can bump a few caps for some low end. It's not gainy enough for my bass-tastes...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Riffer

Re: Smallbear, his shipping time varies. I use him for certain parts, and sometimes it takes 2 weeks to ship an order. As stated previously, good parts, just don't need it in a hurry.

If you do need parts in a hurry, either Mouser or Mammoth are the best. Mammoth ships same day if you order in the morning. Great prices and I can vouch for the great customer service they provide.

I basically learned muff-eese on old black russians. I've hacked and destroyed more than I care to remember, but back then they were regarded as junk. Funny how now they are desirable. I probably have 6 or 8 left in the junk drawer in various states of undress. I should probably look at Frankenstein-ing a few.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance