What is the most useful feature on your amp?

Started by Hemisaurus, May 22, 2011, 12:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nonoman

No good deed goes unpunished.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 23, 2011, 10:04:48 AM
Quote from: spookstrickland on May 23, 2011, 03:56:08 AM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 22, 2011, 10:41:13 PM
Quote from: spookstrickland on May 22, 2011, 10:15:55 PM
What ever knob allows me to turn off the most treble is my fave.
That's called the tone knob Leroy, you'll find it on your instrument ;)
That one is already rolled down and I still need an extra treble knob on the amp to turn down ;D
Now that John the Hermit is doing guitar duties for us, it's nice that I don't need to pretend to be a guitar as well anymore. What you need is a crossover, but you only use the low pass side of it, or a decent low pass shelving filter with a good 16-24dB cutoff. I have a little jumper cable on the back of my T-Max that feeds the low out of the crossover into the power amp, so all that nasty HF stuff is just thrown away. I have it rolled all the way down to 300Hz now ;D

I've been working on something like that.  I breadboarded a little circuit that was a 500HZ boost with a real heavy cut above and a gradual taper below.  I need to fine tune that and box it.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Metal and Beer

The Sanct. Tank. (it totally makes me think and act like I sound better than everyone else)

:P
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

RacerX

The "club setting" switch that turns my Mesa 50/50 into two 15-watt amps instead of two 50s.
Livin' The Life.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: RacerX on May 24, 2011, 09:24:42 AM
The "club setting" switch that turns my Mesa 50/50 into two 15-watt amps instead of two 50s.
Is that a triode mode switch, or a cathode resistance?

grimniggzy

Beta's = Both Input (and to a lesser extent the way you can feed A into B)

Concert Bass = Using the Power Amp In as an Input

Coliseum Bass = Hi/Lo Switches

RacerX

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 24, 2011, 11:03:06 AM

As I understand it, it cuts out one of two 6L6 tubes on each side.
Livin' The Life.

justinhedrick

the most useful feature on my amp (vtm 60) is the fact that it is rugged as hell: a speaker cable wiggled loose from my cab last thursday during a soundcheck. didn't even blow the amp. and loud.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: RacerX on May 24, 2011, 12:27:04 PM

Hmm, is it the Hi/Lo switch? That's what is marked on the schematic. What it does is drop the plate voltage of the phase splitter from 436V to 112V, basically turns down the gain of the phase splitter, so the power tubes still run full tilt, but the signal getting to them will never be big enough to drive them to full swing. Neat :)

The Stage/Studio switch on Matamp/Orange works on the first gain stage, which I imagine would lose you the overdriven tone of the preamp stages, sounds like a better idea.

RacerX

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 24, 2011, 12:52:50 PM
Quote from: RacerX on May 24, 2011, 12:27:04 PM

Hmm, is it the Hi/Lo switch? That's what is marked on the schematic. What it does is drop the plate voltage of the phase splitter from 436V to 112V, basically turns down the gain of the phase splitter, so the power tubes still run full tilt, but the signal getting to them will never be big enough to drive them to full swing. Neat :)

The Stage/Studio switch on Matamp/Orange works on the first gain stage, which I imagine would lose you the overdriven tone of the preamp stages, sounds like a better idea.

Yeah, that's it. Hi Power/Low Power...

Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

I didnt read others responses so i hope this hasnt been said yet, but the most useful feature of any amp is its ability to take low impedance electrical signal, amplify it, and broadcast it thru a speaker. Without that feature its a doorstop.

In general I like amps with as few other electronic features as possible.
The less circuitry the better, the fewer knobs the better.
Some features I like in an amplifier, electronic and non electronic are:

Keeping the weight down.
Reverb.
Channel switching
Tremolo

the 'bright' switche's usefulness depends on the amps design. ON fenders its very useful.

LogicalFrank

My favorite feature on my Sunn is the mid boost switch as turning it on makes it sound more awesome. I also like that the bass and treble knobs don't do hardly anything and the contour knob is best set at ten. Makes it really easy to remember my settings. One day, I am going to get a custom made version w/ all the settings I like hardwired and only a volume knob.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

Quote from: LogicalFrank on June 02, 2011, 09:57:58 AM
My favorite feature on my Sunn is the mid boost switch as turning it on makes it sound more awesome. I also like that the bass and treble knobs don't do hardly anything and the contour knob is best set at ten. Makes it really easy to remember my settings. One day, I am going to get a custom made version w/ all the settings I like hardwired and only a volume knob.

TAD did this back in the day. i don't know what kind of amps they were though.

I,Galactus

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

tossom

My favourite amp is my Marshall JCM 800 2204 (50w, single chan).  Its best feature is it sounds how a Marshall should, fat and loud ;D
"Beige rock"

LogicalFrank

Quote from: justinhedrick on June 02, 2011, 11:59:40 AM

Now I am definitely sold on the idea. I also remember they showed a heavily souped up silverface Champ in that documentary they did on them a while back. It had an effects loop and stuff built in.

Edit: Wait, do you mean TAD as in Tube Amp Doctor or Tad as in motherfucking TAD?
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

justinhedrick

Quote from: LogicalFrank on June 02, 2011, 02:36:16 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on June 02, 2011, 11:59:40 AM

Now I am definitely sold on the idea. I also remember they showed a heavily souped up silverface Champ in that documentary they did on them a while back. It had an effects loop and stuff built in.

Edit: Wait, do you mean TAD as in Tube Amp Doctor or Tad as in motherfucking TAD?

i meant TAD as in Tad Doyle. what is this documentary you speak of?

Hemisaurus

Ask Erik, he's a TAD fan. I just like this:

I read an interview where he was talking about having to explain why 4 distortion  pedals is his sound to some producer (maybe Albini, though Albini is pretty accepting of whatever)

LogicalFrank

Quote from: justinhedrick on June 02, 2011, 03:10:05 PM

MOTHERFUCKING TAD! It's called Busted Circuits And Ringing Ears. I think you can watch it on YouTube in these troubled times.

justinhedrick

Quote from: LogicalFrank on June 02, 2011, 05:27:37 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on June 02, 2011, 03:10:05 PM

MOTHERFUCKING TAD! It's called Busted Circuits And Ringing Ears. I think you can watch it on YouTube in these troubled times.

i shall watch it tonight at work.

LogicalFrank

Hemisaurus

is it on vimeo, so I can download it and watch it later? Found it all in one part, no annoying searching for the parts.