Main Menu

what's YOUR band up to?

Started by justinhedrick, July 18, 2011, 09:40:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volume

Our new album should be out sometime spring/early summer.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: moose23 on January 18, 2012, 07:35:21 AM
Listened to the Thorun stuff a few times now. Great stuff, I hear a bit of Slomatics in there too which is always good in my book. Love that cover artwork too.

cheers man! ah there's plenty of typical stoner-y type riffs. one of em is a straight Kyuss 'Rodeo' riff! the guys in the band hadnt heard it!?! I was like, WTF?? so i changed a few notes, but it's still pretty much the same. the riff before it a friend compared to an early Sabbath riff. Sometimes riffs are just too obvious, but hopefully we slap em around and arrange such that we have a little personality of our own. that's the idea anyway!

but basically, if it sounds like someone else that's good, it's in!!  ;D
I play bass in THORUN

Facebook  www.facebook.com/Thorunband
Music       www.thorun.bandcamp.com
Youtube   www.youtube.com/user/Thorunband

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on January 17, 2012, 03:08:36 PM

i know exactly what you mean.

what was the guys name from urbana? i don't suppose i know him, but maybe . . .
Err James something or other, used to work in Country Kitchen or something, drove a Crown Vic, or maybe a smaller Ford, it broke down a few times I know. Lived up in the scheme catty corner to the Taco Bell just of I-74. Played lounge music maybe, him on piano and some chick. Never played a song in the same key twice, always learned a different version of the song from everybody else in the band ::)

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 18, 2012, 10:13:34 AM
Quote from: justinhedrick on January 17, 2012, 03:08:36 PM

i know exactly what you mean.

what was the guys name from urbana? i don't suppose i know him, but maybe . . .
Err James something or other, used to work in Country Kitchen or something, drove a Crown Vic, or maybe a smaller Ford, it broke down a few times I know. Lived up in the scheme catty corner to the Taco Bell just of I-74. Played lounge music maybe, him on piano and some chick. Never played a song in the same key twice, always learned a different version of the song from everybody else in the band ::)

hmm. what you are describing to me sounds like i guy i knew named tom. if it is him, he is indeed crazy.

Hemisaurus

Nope it was definitely James, straw coloured hair, kind of scarecrowy, likes a toke.

Andrew Blakk

Well, we have just recently started to write some new material which feels great.

And rehearsing for some upcoming shows. Rehearsing is good for us...  ;D

liquidsmoke

Taking a nearly 3 month break but switching things around and hopefully expanding the lineup.

Discö Rice

Also, my bass player's in the backup band for this:

Bloody and ridiculous, with music written by Gina Volpe of the Lunachicks. It's the only musical I've heard of with "splatter seats".
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Discö Rice on January 19, 2012, 01:27:00 PM
Also, my bass player's in the backup band for this:

Bloody and ridiculous, with music written by Gina Volpe of the Lunachicks. It's the only musical I've heard of with "splatter seats".

Pretty sure the Evil Dead one had 'em too. Definitely cool regardless.

RAGER

My band isn't doing shit right now.  maybe never again.  Still not sure.  I am gonna go jam with one of my old drummers next week just for shits and drizzles.  And I might be playing drums for a buddy's project.  just studio stuff though.
No Focus Pocus

khoomeizhi

i guess cannibal - the musical didn't have a stage show.

we're on our yearly winter hiatus while the drummer takes off for the month of january. when he's back, we're moving into a new space in an old rural elementary school, recording some old tunes, workin' out some new ones...probably shows in the spring again. been writing a selection of riffs.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Pissy

We played with Graveyard last night.  Getting ready to move the band out of the Practice space and back into Lordfinesse's house.  Doing so will be a financial benefit as well as a convenience one.  It'll probably get our album finished sooner as well.
Vinyls.   deal.

chille01

Further update from my last entry in the summer.  New record has been finished, titled, and is currently being pressed into neat little discs of transparent red vinyl in the Czech Republic.  We're gearing up our publicity blitz (ie; bribing some guys we know that write for the local papers to review it) for a March 24th record release show.  Planning some small long weekend tours this year, and trying to break the border and hit the US west coast for the first time.  We got a facebook page and we're begging people to "like" it, because that's what bands are supposed to do nowadays I think facebook.com/thebelushis

And I figured out how to work iMovie and made this:

Mike_Sims

Ours is dead. New one forming.

hayseed

I have a new project finally. Its been 2 years since i have jammed with anyone (daughter born, major death in the family, burned out of rock n roll, etc). So far so good. My last band was a 2 piece instrumental and basically the new band is taking those tunes and adding bass and vocals right now. It kind of cool because we will be gig ready soon. The new guys (including a new drummer) have really given the material a much needed jump start. Feel good playing with folks that aren't selfish musically,  actually want to create and love Rock n Roll for what it is. here is a link to the original stuff (Sons of Rust)...I guess imagine it with vocals and a bassline!

www.reverbnation.com/sonsofrust
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

BrianDamage

My band is currently writing. When we first started jamming a couple of months ago we had the typical stoner doom sound but somewhere along the way our style changed. Now we have been jamming stuff that is similar to old Neurosis...maybe even some side two My War Black Flag style...anywho...so we scrapped the old stuff and are just going wth what developed. Oh and we named ourselves. Blindead.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

moose23

Quote from: BrianDamage on January 20, 2012, 02:54:41 PM
My band is currently writing. When we first started jamming a couple of months ago we had the typical stoner doom sound but somewhere along the way our style changed. Now we have been jamming stuff that is similar to old Neurosis...maybe even some side two My War Black Flag style...anywho...so we scrapped the old stuff and are just going wth what developed. Oh and we named ourselves. Blindead.

This sounds right up my street. Blindead is a cool name too, very oldschool/good hardcore I think which suits the style nicely.

martha_KH

Getting some demo tracks up so we can do some shows down here in the South.

http://movingmachines.bandcamp.com/

Ranbat

After a couple false starts on a new band I'm gonna try doing some solo stuff and maybe I'll bump into the right people. I've demo'd some songs and am planning on recording them soon. After I get up and going, maybe something will fall in place.
Meh :/

Pundan

Writing epic 20-minute doom song

tossom

As hinted at in last post, fuck all :(
"Beige rock"

Glitchyghost

Played with Yob last weekend. Playing as the house band at some bar tomorrow night (then heading to the Ghost/Blood Ceremony show directly after!!)   I think the CD for our Small Stone debut just became available today in their online store.   Continuing to write new songs for the next record.   In March, doing a 2 week tour up the North West, down Cali, through the South West, into Austin with a bunch of day shows and then our official SSR showcase for the SXSW festival.  Come home, rest up, then get the vinyl version of the album ready for release. More writing, then start recording demos for the new album. By the end of the summer, another tour - this time heading East to record at Mad Oak.

mawso

It's the verge of our new EP launch, and I think we're splitting up

it's all been doing my head in lately.  Getting offers to do tours overseas and having to say no because the other guys won't say yes is just killing me.  I mean, going out on the road and playing a bunch of shows is all I wanna do with my life.  Working so hard to get to that point and then not doing it is spirit crushing.

I might try to reform the band with a new drummer, or it might be time for a new project.  I'm not sure yet.  I'm gonna hope to do some farewell shows with 180 Proof but I don't know if it'll happen.

Corey Y

Mental Waste just did an interview for a Brazilian webzine, so that's a thing.