Main Menu

I'm so fucking sick of...

Started by VOLVO))), July 26, 2011, 10:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

I don't even notice squeak. Never. Get more calluses.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

VOLVO)))

I used to do the superglue trick

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

spookstrickland

I'm running a Flatwound 12 - 52 set on the bottom three now and a round wound 10's on the top, I'm really liking it. 
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

jibberish

the ridiculous packaging that comes with everything.   I have a small mountain of cardboard collected up for the recycle place just from that shit.

all the oddball plastic, Styrofoam and tie-wraps makes another nice pile too. what a waste.

Chest Rockwell

you guys and your girlie strings  ;D

I play bass in THORUN

Facebook  www.facebook.com/Thorunband
Music       www.thorun.bandcamp.com
Youtube   www.youtube.com/user/Thorunband

Jake

It's like you're playing with tooth floss. My bass has a .180 on it. Guitar has a .072.
poop.

The Shocker

I like flatwounds.  Real mellow.

RacerX

And they last for a long, long, long time.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

They slow me down too much. Rubbery isn't cool.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Jake on January 06, 2015, 11:52:12 AM
It's like you're playing with tooth floss. My bass has a .180 on it. Guitar has a .072.

guitars are for girls. more info on the bass.
I play bass in THORUN

Facebook  www.facebook.com/Thorunband
Music       www.thorun.bandcamp.com
Youtube   www.youtube.com/user/Thorunband

RAGER

Much of the things that are complained about here I either never experience, have a work around, or just plain ignore.  Not sure what my point is..

But on the flatwound thing.  Can you even do decent bend?  I guess they're ok if you just strum.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Sort. They're booty for actually playing unless you want a dull clean tone, and a dull dirty tone. Some people go for that.

String noise? Meh, don't ever notice it.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

I get a lot more string noise from my acoustic & resonator guitars.

Electrics? Not so much.
Livin' The Life.

liquidsmoke

I had a set of flats on my old SG about 10 years back. Cool sound but too dark and this was around the time I literally had a blanket over my cab for awhile :D

spookstrickland

Flats are what I like but I've always liked things very dark and muddy.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

jibberish

I tried flatwounds once to get rid of string squeak.  they were dead and lifeless. worse than the squeaks so I got rid of them.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Jake

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on January 06, 2015, 01:49:50 PM
guitars are for girls. more info on the bass.

This thing makes poop involuntarily happen.

poop.

liquidsmoke

^ Double E string??

edit: that doesn't make sense but the light makes it look like 2. It's certainly huge.

mortlock

how does heavier gage strings affect the neck?? I assume the heavier = more tension??

liquidsmoke

Quote from: mortlock on January 07, 2015, 11:23:00 PM
how does heavier gage strings affect the neck?? I assume the heavier = more tension??

Yes assuming you stay in the same tuning. A truss rod adjustment is sometimes necessary.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: blackkrosses on July 29, 2011, 06:17:59 PM
Tried the Dunlop "heavy-cores"? I don't use them but they are supposed to have a thicker core for more clarity in low tunings. I know they make them in 12's, not sure if that is the heaviest though.

I'll have to check these out, I use 12's for low tuning (A#), I use a D'Addario with a wound G string.  I love the wound G string, and even when I tune down to C, I use an 11-49 set with a wound G string.

Todd, the guitarist from Warhorse, used to use 11-49 strings, tuned down to G.  Figure that one out....

I don't like to go heavier than 12's, so I will check out those Dunlops for sure.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Dylan Thomas on January 08, 2015, 11:25:54 AM
Todd, the guitarist from Warhorse, used to use 11-49 strings, tuned down to G.  Figure that one out....

I have a hard time believing this. Some cool tones can be had when your strings are super floppy but sustain is generally very weak and it's hard to get and stay in tune for a whole song. I use a 68 for the F# string on my 27" scale baritone and even that is kind of floppy to the point where I have to be careful not to press it too hard when fretting or I'll sound out of tune.