bass fuzz/dist questions / help

Started by apekillman, September 18, 2011, 08:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Ayek on September 19, 2011, 01:31:55 AM
For what it's worth, George Rice used a 4x15" and a 1x18" when he was in High on Fire. Can't think of anyone else who paired 18s and 15s, seems more common to mix either with 10s

edit: I also endorse the Bazz Fuss. I've made two, the last one I included a blend circuit. Works good.
What are you using for a blend?

justJon

MXR El Grande Bass Fuzz.

Before our bass player quit music, that's what he used.

I don't think the two were related.
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

moose23

Gonna second the HM2, it will do exactly what you ask. I love fuzz on bass but it doesn't sound like that's what you're after.

apekillman

i need to check ohmage on the cabs and see how close to 2 i get.  or just run the 2x15 by itself.  i never liked the sound of 10's except for more "rock" sounding real bass tone.  and i guess that's just because i'm used to that sound cuz alot of rock bands use the 10's.  i want a tone that is gnarly and ballsy.  not too flappy.  but kind of tight.  i know that all contradicts each other.

so basically, not a clean punchy tight tone.  but a thick chugging rumble that is almost ready to blow up but is still holding on.

Metal and Beer

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 18, 2011, 10:37:40 PM
Am I the resident grind/death/black metal guy? Goddamn it.

Ten paces then draw, bucko  ;D
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Hemisaurus

Quote from: apekillman on September 19, 2011, 06:00:31 PM
i need to check ohmage on the cabs and see how close to 2 i get.  or just run the 2x15 by itself.  i never liked the sound of 10's except for more "rock" sounding real bass tone.  and i guess that's just because i'm used to that sound cuz alot of rock bands use the 10's.  i want a tone that is gnarly and ballsy.  not too flappy.  but kind of tight.  i know that all contradicts each other.

so basically, not a clean punchy tight tone.  but a thick chugging rumble that is almost ready to blow up but is still holding on.
Why are you going for two? The problem with running real low impedance is all the losses in the speaker connections get super critical, or to put it another way, you'll lose more iin your cables abd they'll run warmer  ;)

Discö Rice

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 19, 2011, 06:49:51 PM
Quote from: apekillman on September 19, 2011, 06:00:31 PM

Why are you going for two? The problem with running real low impedance is all the losses in the speaker connections get super critical, or to put it another way, you'll lose more iin your cables abd they'll run warmer  ;)
Couldn't you solve that by using ultra thick cables? Like 1/0 gauge?

Hemisaurus

Well loss is more in the contacts than the cable. Make sure all the jacks are tight and clean. Alcohol swabbing here will help, or the contact cleaner you can get at the hardware store, but yeah no wimpy 18 ga. cabe would also help.

PS Grindcore, I was around in the beginning in the UK, we used whatever shit we could find ;)

Maybe a dumb question, but isn't the 2x15 already 4 ohm? Add on the 18, I'd guess it's 8 ohm and you'll have 2.66666 ohm, still two amps would probably net better results.

VOLVO)))

Ill shoot a quick vid of the HM-2and the BetaLead.

sent from Mortlock's mom's laptop...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

Damn it, now I want both. And I swore my dirt search was over and done with.

Hemisaurus

Checkng the handy cross reference, Behringer make it for $16

grimniggzy

I thought only one version of the Boss one was even any good, think the Behringer will make the cut?

grimniggzy

apekillman

hemi,  i only mention 2 ohm cuz that's the recommended lowest to drive the beta head at.  i don't really want tp run it that low and push it real hard.  i think the 18 is actually 6 ohms.  what's the formula to get the ohmage rating on non-same numbers.  i know that two 16's is gonna be an 8, and two 8's woud be a four.  but i'm not sure how to figure out like say a 6 and an 8.

grimniggzy

I swore Beta's are meant to be run @ 4 or higher.
Yup, here it is...

The Red Concerts can go down to 2 though, I think.

Hemisaurus

A 6, really, that's pretty unusual, that's not just the DC resistance is it?

Anyways, the formula is (r1 * r2) / (r1 + r2) for two impedances in parallel.

For multiple impedances in parallel, it's the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of all the impedances. Which is easier for me to type in English, than make the forum display equations.

So 2.4 ohm  ;D

VOLVO)))

Betas do 100@4

Black/white Concerts do 200@2

Silverface Concerts so 150@4

Black/white Coliseums do 320@2

etc etc.

don't run the Beta below 4.

Anything above 4 is golden, and good to go...

That Behringer nails the tone. It's unmistakable.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Yeah that actually sounded just like Entombed, I expected the vocals to come in. Mind you I'm listening on an iPad :D

I think we may have just figured out the problem, running the Beta at 2.4 ohm, most of the sound was probably in your cables ;D Cable losses save a lot of people blowing their solid state gear up.

Ayek

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 19, 2011, 10:01:51 AM
Quote from: Ayek on September 19, 2011, 01:31:55 AM
For what it's worth, George Rice used a 4x15" and a 1x18" when he was in High on Fire. Can't think of anyone else who paired 18s and 15s, seems more common to mix either with 10s

edit: I also endorse the Bazz Fuss. I've made two, the last one I included a blend circuit. Works good.
What are you using for a blend?

This one, though I might've put in a bigger input cap.

On a side note, I housed it in a big ol tank of a stainless steel enclosure I liberated from an eternity of sitting forgotten on a storeroom shelf some time ago. Was looking through an electronics catalog the other day and saw the same enclosure selling for $110. Shit.