Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jor el

Did you get a copy of the Sugartooth deal?
I ended up getting a compound disk in the mail.
What Would Scooby Do ?

GodShifter

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

RAGER

last night I made one of my specialties.

Pozole Roja

Get your self some country pork ribs and put them in a big pot, pour over some water to about cover, salt, then bring to boil them back to simmer.  Meanwhile take out your dried anaheim chiles or what ever dried red chiles (not the hot little arbol one but the bif red dried ones).  Boil some ater and put about 5 or 6 of those chiles ina glass bowl and opur the ater over them.  let em steep for about an hour.  Chop up an onion and mash a couple cloves of garlic.  Lift out the chiles from the water and take the seeds and pulp out. Put the chiles, the onion, and garlic in a blender with some of the steeping water and a little bit of salt and puree.

Pull the meat out of the water and chop into bite sized pieces and back into the water.  Add however much of the chile mixture you want to give a nice red flavorful color.  Add in one large can of hominy and some Mexican dried oregano and maybe a little more salt.  simmer for about 30 mins more.

Serve in bowls with shredded lettuce, chips or fried tortilla strips, avocado, more dried oregano, and lots of fresh squeezed lime juice. 
No Focus Pocus

demon gal

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

demon gal

RAGER

I would have that with a radicchio salad.  Another one of my specialties.

Dice half a head of radicchio.  Chill a small serving bowl.  Make a simple vinaigrette, add copious amount of pecroino romano or parmesan, chop tblsp of fresh tarragon, cut up some greek peperoncinis or green olives, toss all with store bought or home made croutons.  Serve with chilled forks.  Yummmm
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

I made a Chicken Posole the other weekend, turned out great.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on October 02, 2011, 02:06:54 PM
I made a Chicken Posole the other weekend, turned out great.

Roja, verde or blanco?
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

broccoli and macaroni

saute broccoli florettes in olive oil..add garlic salt and black pepper.
be generous with the olive oil..toss with macaroni..top with romano cheese..serve.

black

Damn, I'm loving everything on this page so far. I'm not really big on pork (love the taste but it seems to mess with my innards if I eat more than just a bit), so the chicken posole deal sounds great.

Having three chickens in my backyard (that's right mjs, backyard chickens!) I have come to love the quiche (with fresh eggs, of course) in it's many incarnations. I am curious though if you make your own crust, dg? I admit to cheesing out sometimes and taking the lazy route--frozen pie shells. Thanks for the picture too.

mortlock's broccoli and macaroni is making my stomach growl.

If y'all can, post some pictures of your culinary creations. It will aid me in both my attempts to re-create your recipes and to fantasize that I am a guest at y'all's table.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

demon gal

That was a total frozen cheat crust. I have made pie crust before but it was a pain in the ass and I didn't do a great job at it. I just ordered a food processor so I'll attempt it again, I hear it's a snap in a food processor.

Man when I was in Poland the last two times we would get eggs from my brother in law's chicken butts. All I wanted to eat day and night was scrambled eggs. Heaven!

Jor el

Did the chickens have a door on their hatchery?
You know, for privacy?
What Would Scooby Do ?

demon gal

Nope. No doors, no privacy in Poland.

The Shocker

Quote from: demon gal on October 03, 2011, 07:15:10 PM
That was a total frozen cheat crust. I have made pie crust before but it was a pain in the ass and I didn't do a great job at it. I just ordered a food processor so I'll attempt it again, I hear it's a snap in a food processor.

Man when I was in Poland the last two times we would get eggs from my brother in law's chicken butts. All I wanted to eat day and night was scrambled eggs. Heaven!

One of my employees raises chickens and brought me a half dozen fresh eggs yesterday!  My dummy wife won't eat them cause the shells look "weird"  More for me.

Gonna fix one of my favorites:  Sausage, eggs and rice.  Chop up a little (or a lot) of your favorite sausage.  Any kind works, bacon does too.  Fry it up, then take some cooked rice and fry it up with the sausage.  Once warmed,  scramble some eggs in it.  Salt, pepper, hot sauce and top with shredded cheese.  My current favorite cheese for it is Kroger's shredded Habanero cheddar.

grimniggzy

Quote from: deaner33 on October 04, 2011, 12:00:07 PM

One of my employees raises chickens and brought me a half dozen fresh eggs yesterday!  My dummy wife won't eat them cause the shells look "weird"  More for me.

Gonna fix one of my favorites:  Sausage, eggs and rice.  Chop up a little (or a lot) of your favorite sausage.  Any kind works, bacon does too.  Fry it up, then take some cooked rice and fry it up with the sausage.  Once warmed,  scramble some eggs in it.  Salt, pepper, hot sauce and top with shredded cheese.  My current favorite cheese for it is Kroger's shredded Habanero cheddar.

damn, this sounds fuckin delicious.

demon gal

Sounds awesome but I would replace the rice with hash brown potatoes.

grimniggzy

Quote from: demon gal on October 04, 2011, 12:42:22 PM

Sounds awesome but I would replace the rice with hash brown potatoes.

I'd be down for either/both

The Shocker

Well it's usually done with leftovers and we have rice a lot more often than hashbrowns, but yeah your idea sounds awesome too.

demon gal

I make scrambled eggs with pieces of browned kielbasa and chives or green onions. Sooooo good.

The Shocker

Quote from: demon gal on October 04, 2011, 12:56:04 PM
I make scrambled eggs with pieces of browned kielbasa and chives or green onions. Sooooo good.

I've thought about adding green onions to my sausage, rice and cheese.  Will try it.

I think that is the sign of a good cook - being willing to experiment with your dishes.  They can always be improved in some slight way.  Also taking constructive criticism of your cooking.  That's where my wife fails.  She's not flexible with her cooking and gets her feelings hurt about any suggestions towards changing the dish.

Also, I cook for my enjoyment not to please someone else.  If I like it, it's good.  I don't need validation from someone else.  My wife's mother is a good cook, but if you don't praise her cooking more than once she thinks you don't like it.  Fuck that noise.  I say it's good, it's good.  Don't fish for more compliments Lou.     

demon gal

My mother was an excellent cook. She had the gift of tasting something and figuring out every ingredient in it. She never used recipes nor did she ever measure anything. However she was extremely critical of everyone else's cooking and when she cooked suggestions were never welcome. When she got sick she didn't have the energy to cook so she would just sit in the kitchen and tell us what to do but she was extremely nervous and would get mad at the slightest variations or question. It was impossible to get anything done. I'm a little bit of a terror in the kitchen too. I have a hard time watching other people cook and not saying anything if I think there's a better way of doing something. If someone else cooks I try to stay out of the kitchen.

RAGER

i fi go to someones house for dinner i often take over in the kitchen.  i think that's why they have me over.
No Focus Pocus

black

At Least I Don't Have The Clap.