Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black

Actually-not to sound too much like Hydrozeen/Dark War- I would dig the idea of a StonerRock/Metal fest cook-off. You know, where a core group of y'all tour the country and set up a kitchen in each town and melt faces (taste buds?) with your culinary prowesses. Or maybe a potluck. Or perhaps I could just invite myself to all y'all's homes for supper  ;D?
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

demon gal

Black, consider yourself invited for some whiskey pot roast.

black

demon gal

I baked apple, cranberry, carrot muffins yesterday. They taste healthy, I don't like them.

RAGER

little neck clams steamed in pilsner with garlic bread sticks last night.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

i just made a batch of sauerkraut.  should be able to start tasting it in about a week or so.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

put it in a tortilla shell and top it with hot sauce, cheese, lettuce and sour cream..you got one hell of a burrito there..

peoplething

I've been experimenting with the recipe for a while, so while it's delicious, I wouldn't consider it a 'specialty'

bacon wrapped stuffed portabella shrooms

4-5 large portabellas stemmed and cleaned (cut off the fluffy white spore stuff under the cap if there is any there)
1lb pork sausage
1/2 cup cubed red pepper
1/2 cup cubed green pepper
1/2 cup minced white onion
1-2 Tbsp fresh tomato paste (or 1.5tsp-1Tbsp out of a can)
1 egg
1/8th cup bread crumbs
4-5 slices of thick cut, pretty lean bacon

salt, black pepper, sage, garlic, basil to taste

cook sausage, peppers and onion

drain on paper towel and allow to cool

in a bowl, kneed sausage and pepper mix with everything else except bacon

on a broiler pan rack **or some oven pan that allows the bacon grease to drain - not a cooky sheet!!!**** lay out a strip of bacon and place a mushroom cap in the middle of the strip top side down, so the underside of the shroom can be stuffed

form a half ball of sausage stuffing large enough to fill the under side of the cap and place and mold onto cap.

fold the bacon wings up and cross of stuffing

toothpick bacon thru stuffing to cap

repeat with the rest of the stuff untill all caps are used

bake on mid rack at ~400F for about 40m

(I think a dude on the old board did something similar in idea, but used liver,small caps, and pan fried them)

"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

James1214

finally....

back to the recipes, less talk more cook

Best MOTHERFUCKIN beer can chicken.... period

ingredients:

1 tall can Steel Reserve
1 chicken i like a "roaster" 6-7 lbs
10-15 cloves garlic, peeled or unpeeled, doesn't really matter
2 sprigs rosemary

dry rub of your choice
(here is my all purpose rub, recipe is all ratios, no fancy measuring you could make it by the tablespoon or by the gallon)
1 part kosher salt
1 part brown sugar
1/2 part black pepper
1/4 part smoked paprika
1/4 part granulated onion
1/4 part granulated garlic
1/8 part dry mustard

Hardware:
cooking twine
baking pan
meat thermometer

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven, 425 no more, no less, this is way hotter then most recipes, but believe me, its better this way

Take your steel reserve, crack the can, pour yourself an 8-10 oz glass, pat yourself on the back, the hard work is done.

Pull rosemary off the sprigs, put into the can of steel reserve, do the same with the cloves of garlic just shove them in the opening of the can.

Take your rub and apply liberally to every part of the chicken inside and out.

Place the chicken on the can of steel reserve (looka likea big silver buttplug)

Take some twine and truss your bird, if you don't know what this means or how to do it, look it up, its easy

Place the whole arrangement on the baking pan standing upright on the can. Put this into your blisteringly hot 425 degree oven.

Wait 1 hour and check the temperature, in the thigh of the bird which should be 155-160 range. if it is pull it out, you want it to be close to 170 ultimately, but carryover will cause the temp to reach around 170 after resting for 10 minutes. After resting pull the bird off the can, cut it up and be blown away.

I believe the key to the recipe is the "high gravity" steel reserve, because alcohol boils off at a lower temperature than water (and there is more of it) it moistens the chicken more than another lower alcohol beer, also when you remove that alcohol the maltiness of the malt liquor really adds sweetness to the meat that is unexpected and delicious. In addition to this the aluminum cans they use are slightly thicker than other brands and I think this also aids in heat transfer to the chicken, cooking it more quickly without drying it out.
words

RAGER

I've never tried a beer can chicken.  something about putting aluminum inside something while I cook it throws me.  i don't even like to use foil.  i do like to cook with beer though.  But i usually use something pretty decent and would never consider Steele Reserve.  I'm kind of snobby when it comes to food.  Cooking /chefing is in my future i hope.  never too late for a career change eh?
No Focus Pocus

James1214

I am a food snob too, In addition to my everyday job (counter repair guy) and music and my special effects/film stuff, I am a chef for my mom's catering business and the food i cook is of the highest possible quality, I use locally sourced ingredients and the most meticulous preparation possible, (make our own mayo, pesto, chutney anything you can think of, bake all our pastries, smoke our own salmon etc) but sometimes its nice to have something so ridiculously easy, idiot proof and amazing tasting that its worth it.

If you don't make the recipe, you are missing out.... and possibly stupid.

Regarding Steel Reserve....

You would think it would be shit, I pretty much never drink the stuff (unless Im on a mission to forget how much things suck sometimes) however, its perfect for this application. As you aren't actually cooking with it or using it as an ingredient for sauce or whatever, but rather as a vehicle for aromatics (garlic and rosemary) and moisture.... the things you dislike about it are not as much of an issue. Step outside of your comfort zone and do it. It is worth it.

Regarding aluminum....

I'm sure somewhere someone has made a steel "beer can" that can replace the aluminum version. But I wouldn't worry about it, the beer in effect limits the temperature of the aluminum to 212 and there is no breakdown of the metal at all at that point. It's just not possible as the temps need to be more in the 600 degree range to become any sort of issue. (I have cast aluminum before and if memory serves the melting point is in the 650 range) aluminum off-gasses (in effect burning) at around 900 degrees, the temperatures involved are too great to achieve at home, and therefore aluminum is safe, I'd be more worried about the ink on the outside of the can if I was going to worry at all.

RANT over
words

black

Dropping science is not a rant.

Thanks for the info and the killer recipe.

RAGER

That's great for you james.  i still aint gonna put an aluminum can of shit beer in anything I cook.

i'm not stupid, i just have different standards apparently.  And yeah the ink part I don't like either.
No Focus Pocus

James1214

Rager, I didnt think you were, 'twas hyperbole, and since i really want people to try the recipe (you included) and I feel that good food makes peeps happy and spreads love and harmony and all that jazz, here are some other options.

I personally think the aluminum is no problem, BUT for what its worth I also have one of these, its made of ceramic, and does the same thing, has great heat transfer. I like being able to throw away the can, and the simplicity of it. Also, If you do use ceramic I cant stress how important it is to soak the ceramic for at least 10 minutes in water before putting it in the oven or on the fire.

http://www.kitchenworksinc.com/CERAMIC-BEER-CAN-CHICKEN-COOKER-__970286.aspx

also back to booze, a good quality one would work too, but the high alcohol percentage is key, I feel that ultimately people should make a recipe their own, so if you find a pear lambic or stout or anything makes good "beer can" chicken by all means, use it, and share it with the world
words

RAGER

oh and if you want something ridiculously easy, idiot proof and amazing, try fresh oysters and a mignonette.  
No Focus Pocus

James1214

actually, and im not bullshitting, I got oysters from Tomales bay this morning.
words

RAGER

yeah i've seen those.  i don't have one though.  that's just not how I usually do chicken.  I'm in portland.  I have a veritable plethra of high octane micro brews to choose from.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

very nice.  had willapa bay oysters earlier this week and kumamotos last week
No Focus Pocus

James1214

Baked Apples

my very own recipe, wierd, yes.... delicious.... way more than you'd think

Ingredients:

6 Granny smith apples (cored)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp A-1 sauce
1 stick butter
3/4 cup apple juice (I life fresh, unfiltered, unpasteurized stuff)

Hardware:

Baking vessel, I like a ceramic casserole dish
Apple corer (crucial)
Vegetable peeler or paring knife
Mixing bowl
something to mix with, i like a wooden spoon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325f

Using corer, core apples, using paring knife or vegetable peeler peel skin from 1/2" to 3/4" from the opening at the top of the apple, arrange in your baking pan.

In bowl mix your pecans, raisins, brown sugar and A-1 sauce.

Pack the cored apples full of the mixture, filling all the way. Place 1 tsp. butter on top of each of the apples.

Pour apple juice around apples, in base of casserole.

Bake for 45 mins-1 hour. Eat and enjoy.

As an aside, I like toasted almond brioche as an accompaniment, soak up the sauce... delicious.

words

peoplething

just a hint, be careful when using the microbrews.... well... for any cooking endeavor. the reason is usually the micro's have a large amount of ingredient (hops/malt/barely/yeast....) and that can turn whatever you're cooking into a hop/malt/barely/yeast bomb.

dry hopped chicken isn't as good as it sounds

I've tried cooking with all sorts of beer, and tbh, cheap american lagers usually produce the best results.

the steal reserve is an interesting idea, I think I'll try that next time I roast a bird
"Shut the fuck up." - socket, Administrator

The Shocker

Quote from: James1214 on October 13, 2011, 07:56:43 PM
Baked Apples

my very own recipe, wierd, yes.... delicious.... way more than you'd think

Ingredients:

6 Granny smith apples (cored)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup toasted pecans, roughly chopped
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp A-1 sauce
1 stick butter
3/4 cup apple juice (I life fresh, unfiltered, unpasteurized stuff)

Hardware:

Baking vessel, I like a ceramic casserole dish
Apple corer (crucial)
Vegetable peeler or paring knife
Mixing bowl
something to mix with, i like a wooden spoon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325f

Using corer, core apples, using paring knife or vegetable peeler peel skin from 1/2" to 3/4" from the opening at the top of the apple, arrange in your baking pan.

In bowl mix your pecans, raisins, brown sugar and A-1 sauce.

Pack the cored apples full of the mixture, filling all the way. Place 1 tsp. butter on top of each of the apples.

Pour apple juice around apples, in base of casserole.

Bake for 45 mins-1 hour. Eat and enjoy.

As an aside, I like toasted almond brioche as an accompaniment, soak up the sauce... delicious.

The A1 gives it some tang?

James1214

yup, it reminds me a lot of mincemeat pie. which is delicious
words

RAGER

Tonight I will be baking sweet dumpling squash stuffed with a savory mixture of italian sausage, rice and some other goodies with a radicchio salad on the side.  I'll try and post some pics.
No Focus Pocus

EaterofBirds

I do a mean version of quite a few things..my red sauce is to die for, and if anyone needs a great recipe, hit me up. It's not what you think and it's my own variation of an organic recipe that I came into.

I also do a killer risotto, my own pasta from scratch.. artisan breads and alot of Italian dishes which I like to give my own flair to. I love to grill and have a shit ton of recipes/techniques

MadJohnShaft

Alton Browns buffalo wings recipe is super easy and will blow away anything you get at a restaurant. - 10 minutes of steaming, sit in the fridge for an hour, and 40 minutes in the oven and they turn out just like deep fried but even crispier.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/good-eats/buffalo-wings-recipe/index.html

It's a family favorite - I don't know why they are so good, i'm thinking of trying a whole chicken this way, science.
Some days chickens, some days feathers