Recipes--Your Specialty

Started by black, September 28, 2011, 01:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

zuppa di lenticchie con polpettine

Lentil soup with tiny meatballs like they make in Abruzzo.

Make little meatballs about the size of chickpeas with a little salt and pepper, nutmeg, pecorino and an egg yolk mixed in.

Brown them briefly in plenty of good olive oil until not quite done. Set aside

Sweat your mirepoix and potatoes, then add your lentils, fresh bay leaf and stock. Cook until lentils are done. Adjust seasoning and add your polpettine and some fresh parsley back in and finish cooking.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Was flipping through the pok pok NOODLES book from the library today. I get it now. Wow! The street cooking photos are so intriguing. Great layout he puts all the ingredients up front. Haven't looked through to the back pages yet, got overwhelmed.

I had my meal comped at my go-to Northern Vietnamese noodle house the other day, all but $10. It'll all come out in the wash so no biggie but nice to have a friend in the noodle business. right?

RAGER

Yeah the noodle books got some good stuff in it. I was thinking yam kuay chap for tonight.

These are what I go to for reference.

Austin Bush took most of the pics for Andy's books. Then he turned around and wrote a couple of his own. They are a bit more serious.

The David Thompson one is an old one and had a million recipes and variations and doesn't have the same photography and back stories though. I like these because they don't bother with trying to make things accessible. They don't suggest using broccoli in lieu of some important ingredient.

Ka lam plee nam pla muu goong.

Sautéed cabbage with fish sauce garlic and white pepper. I also added Thai green chilies, pork and shrimp.

No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

outstanding reference material. thanks. that cabbage bowl looks world class. i can't get anywhere with my white pepper in the metal can, it just stinks and detracts upon use. i should toss it out and get a different one.

this one it has a distinct nasty note
Nguan Soon Thai White Pepper Powder (Prik Thai) - 20 G/can

RAGER

What?!?!?  That stuff is killer. Yes it smells. Does not smell like black pepper at all. A gazillion years ago I used to deal whith it in 30 gallon barrels. It smells like cow shit in large quantities. White granulated sugar smells like wet dog in large quantities.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Muffin Man

Quote from: Muffin Man on September 06, 2024, 10:27:00 PM"cow shit". spot. on. its going in the bin, man. and yes i have four and counting kinds of fish sauce and looove them. so its not that.

Muffin Man

RAGER

You either like white pepper or you don't but it's integral in Thai cooking.
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

ok. please let me know a minimal easy white pepper dish and I'll try. plain noodles or a simple broth is best. something to reset my pallette, thanks.
ps i am okay with capsiusum/heat. i'm also totally cool with cold noodle.

Muffin Man

ps. reading pokpok NOODLE i quite fancy making some homemade noodles. someday. love the fresh noodles.

RAGER

Quote from: Muffin Man on September 06, 2024, 10:41:12 PMok. please let me know a minimal easy white pepper dish and I'll try. plain noodles or a simple broth is best. something to reset my pallette, thanks.
ps i am okay with capsiusum/heat. i'm also totally cool with cold noodle.

I'm not the person to ask cuz I really like white pepper. But. Egg drop soup usually has white pepper and I think I've seen you make that.
No Focus Pocus