Main Menu

I am genius

Started by VOLVO))), September 28, 2011, 11:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

I can't think of a single guitar tech that is willing to pick-up and redeliver your shit, after he works on it, for a reasonable fee. I'm a fuckin' courier, driving is what I do. Why not take my two jobs and combine them? I did one today, and the pickup fee was five dollars less than the work I did to the guitar. The poor dumb bastards don't even have to stop stuffing their faces. I don't care. I'm filling a niche market, and I think it'll pay off.

Mind you, I vastly undercharge for the work I do, simply because I always hated having to take my guitars to local shops/GC to have repairs and get the fuck gouged out of me. 30 dollars for a setup? Get fucked. I can do 5 an hour, not even sweating, doing QUALITY work for less than most shops can do around here. I even have one guy outsourcing to me from time to time when he gets swamped, and he STILL makes money after paying me what I ask.

Plus, it's all fun. Basically free money, for me.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

yesca

wish i had the knowledge of an experience guitar/amp tech  :-\

bitter

me too. I've two going in in the next week or so and that'll be $45 a pop  :(

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Hemisaurus

Maybe you have less overheads? Are you paying taxes on your guitar work income? Do you have premises? Do you still live with your parents? Have you made enough to pay for the equipment you bought?

I'd never want to get into that kind of business as my sole source of income, too scarey.

Knowledge can be found in books, and by being willing to experiment, and by asking questions of course.

Sunn in Springfield you'd be ahead just by returning the gear, our local luthier is famed for being a black hole for repairs, gear goes in, but doesn't come out again.

Ranbat

$30 for a setup? I think GC is the only one that cheap around here, all the Mom and Pops charge $60-$80 with over a month wait. By wait I mean you make an appointment and take it in a month or so later. $30 barely gets your strings changed while you wait.
Meh :/

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 29, 2011, 12:03:50 AM
Maybe you have less overheads? Are you paying taxes on your guitar work income? Do you have premises? Do you still live with your parents? Have you made enough to pay for the equipment you bought?

I'd never want to get into that kind of business as my sole source of income, too scarey.

Knowledge can be found in books, and by being willing to experiment, and by asking questions of course.

Sunn in Springfield you'd be ahead just by returning the gear, our local luthier is famed for being a black hole for repairs, gear goes in, but doesn't come out again.

Legit questions. My overheads are the same, I just get cut deals from local sources because I'm an amiable guy, and I'm willing to work for a reasonable wage as opposed to rape-people wage. I don't pay taxes on them directly, It's factored into my over-all yearly income, so in a way, yes, I do pay the taxes. I have a 2500sq ft shop that I share with a two furniture builders (this is also my jam room.) I pay my mom 200 bucks a month to live in my room, and electric... and I help around the house, she doesn't want me to go (she's got that empty nest shit from my sister, still, she's 33...) I bought all of my equipment to work on guitars to work on my own guitars... So, I never expected a return, but so far, I've paid off all of my files and shit that I've bought, and then some...

It's just side work, when I'm not slammed driving, I do this shit because it's a lot of fun, really. I get to meet a lot of people, and talk a lot about gear... lots of networking. I like it.

Ask Deaner about the quality. I had it done the first day it got here, but it took me a little bit to get back to him because I was slammed hard with other work.

Lastly, I don't call myself a luthier. I don't build lutes. I repair guitars, basses, etc. I guess the fact that I ~don't~ have to make money doing it makes it easier to charge less, but frankly, 95% of the dudes here are fucking hacks, with the exception of one, who I'd feel bad taking business from. I can't stand working on butchered axes, especially if I know the source of the butchery... makes me rage.

I charge 20 bucks for setups, that includes full cleaning, electronics checks, general tightening... you just bring your strings. I do the rest...

I charge 30 bucks for setups with retarded double locking trems, unless it's a Kahler. Kahler's get a discount on the trem setup fee, because I love them. They're amazing.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Derelict78

Fuck where do you live sunn?

VOLVO)))

The great state of Florida!

/sargasm

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I dunno, I once let someone else do a setup, that was when I bought my second first bass, the bass was given back to me with worse action than it had when I demo'd it in the store, and I took it home and did it my damn self.

You got to wonder at people that don't just get a book and do it themselves, I mean especially guitarists, I mean they change their strings all the time :o Depending on the instrument, a half dozen setups and you just wasted an entire guitars worth of money.

The Shocker

Yes, Jake does a fantastic job.  I only wished I lived closer so I could hang out with him while he does the work.  One of the best dudes on this whole damn site.

VOLVO)))

Not every one has the gene, Herbie. Some folk just dont have a feel for it. My approach to it is "does it play like it should?" It's different for every make and model, even two of the same guitars will set up differently. Its similar to how some who whittles sees a block of wood. He sees what's inside it, not the block itself. Y'know? I can tell when an end result is going to be shitty. Also, upfront, I tell people that I can't make a 200 dollar bass feel or play like a 2000 dollar bass. Im always honest when people ask me the "is it a good guitar" question. 99% of times, no, its a piece of shit. That doesn't mean it won't play great after Im done... there is A LOT of hacks in this business, amp tech business, too... just gotta find a good guy and stick with 'em.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

To me it's a science, not an art, but then again I'm an engineer, not a savant.

The Shocker

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 29, 2011, 09:50:59 AM

Why'd you edit the rest of the stuff?  It was an interesting perspective.

VOLVO)))

Raising and lowering action isn't science. Im no better than anyone else. Anyone can do it long as you know what feels good. Ive never put a measuring tool to a guitar in my life. Its always been based on knowing what ~good~ feels like. Its a mental thing. Ive placebo'd a couple people to see how dumb they were. They were dumb.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bass sic

Fuck, you can come pick mine up and I'll tip well. I actually have a pretty good setup guy who can fix anything I end up fucking up myself. But he keeps raising his rates, up to fifty bones last time I was in there.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: bass sic on September 29, 2011, 10:58:23 AM
Fuck, you can come pick mine up and I'll tip well. I actually have a pretty good setup guy who can fix anything I end up fucking up myself. But he keeps raising his rates, up to fifty bones last time I was in there.

Fuck all that noise... I never even fucked up one of mine bad enough to have to take it anywhere, after I started getting the hang of it...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Worthless Willie

Fifty fucking dollars for a set up?  Jesus.  I do 99.9% of my own work.  Still a few things I'd like to brush up on, but I haven't sent a guitar to a shop since I was a kid.  I have a luthier friend for the shit I can't do.

Motherfuckers gettin' RAPED.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

VOLVO)))

Are luthiers bigger in Taxes?

50 bucks is retarded for a setup. I can do a setup in 10 minutes, Literally, with an instrument that isn't a legit piece of shit. It takes me about 20 to get bullshit first act guitars playing half-decent. Fuck people who price gouge. That's why I love that Dan Erlewine makes those Guitar Player repair guides. 30 bucks, the cost of an expensive setup, will get you every inch of knowledge you need to work on guitars, forever. He plugs the shit out of stewmac, but it's because he's made 60% of their tool designs, so it must be mutual.

It ain't hard, it's just mechanics. Herb's profession is a wee bit more intensive, because it can kill you. It's science...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

Theres a guy in town here who fixes amps. He's an old bastard who answers his door in his bathrobe, has twenty cats, and will insist on keeping you captive in his dank basement for hours talking your ear off about shit you do not care about and has nothing to do with your amp...as you constantly back out towards the door mumbling "gotta go now...please do a good job" over and over again. Everyone complained about him...he became legendary (for being a dillrod). Eventually one music store began offering a service..."we will deliver and pick up your amp to the talkative old guy for $20!!" FUCK YES!!! well worth every penny.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: deaner33 on September 29, 2011, 10:24:39 AM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 29, 2011, 09:50:59 AM

Why'd you edit the rest of the stuff?  It was an interesting perspective.
I felt it was stuff we had covered before, in other threads, and really is a personal viewpoint of mine. I believe the quality you get on a high price mass produced instrument is much the same as a low priced one, and I believe that Made in America is better is BS, it can be approved with a modifier of Made in America, where the company has different factories, and uses higher quality parts on it's American brands, is better, unless you just want to save some bucks and put on the better parts yourself is more accurate.

Also note the insertion of the words mass produced there.

Fender was the America Teisco of it's time, Leo designed instruments, designed them, to be easily and cheaply produced assembly line style. I admire that, I don't think it makes the instrument worth more though, because it was mass produced in 69 or something, and then having a custom shop that handcrafts instruments to make them like the ones that were originally mass produced is so dumb as to be mind boggling.

The Shocker

But why do the Teisco's suck so bad?  And on that note, Sunn those Teisco's I drool over.  Would they be halfway decent if a better bridge was installed? 

Hemisaurus

I don't think Teisco's do suck that much. Mind you I tend to use Teisco to describe any guitar that's not of a specific brand or brand shape, made during the 70's and 80's. Like any budget guitar some can be a little crappy, tuners may need tightened up, pickups maybe could do with potting etc. etc. I did wonder if those bridges were ideally spaced to drop a regular bridge on, but hey you can't intonate a gibson junior, and a classic fender you have to fudge it with those two strings to a saddle design.

Bottom line, if a guitar makes you happy, and you enjoy playing it, it's a good guitar.

If you're always worrying about buckle rash, dinging it, mussing the finish etc. it's a bad guitar, you should be able to pickup an instrument guilt free.

RAGER

An important question nobody's asked yet.

is my 70's Les Paul or my 69 Super Bass or my 72 Orange insured when it's in your shop?

The few people that I let work on my shit when I don't have time or can't figure it out have insurance.

i don't mean to throw doubt in but hey.  If you were local I'd have you work on my stuff but there'd have to be insurance.
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RAGER on September 29, 2011, 02:43:58 PM
An important question nobody's asked yet.

is my 70's Les Paul or my 69 Super Bass or my 72 Orange insured when it's in your shop?

The few people that I let work on my shit when I don't have time or can't figure it out have insurance.

i don't mean to throw doubt in but hey.  If you were local I'd have you work on my stuff but there'd have to be insurance.

Nope, and I always tell people that up front, if they want to give me something I couldn't buy out of pocket. When it's IN the shop, yes, It's insured, we have content insurance because of the 150k worth of woodworking tools, plus my 10 grand worth of equipment. I doubt it'd cover me fucking it up. That's why I wouldn't take your Les Paul, or 69 Superbass, or 72 Orange, unless it was just a retube or something. All of my customers shit is locked up in the AC'd office, though, when it isn't being worked on.

Mind you, The amount it would cost to have the type of insurance you'd want, I'd have to be doing 2k or more a month in repairs alone, and that simply isn't possible in this town. Some people just don't take no for an answer, though...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Derelict78

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 29, 2011, 08:29:45 AM
The great state of Florida!

/sargasm
Well shit im moving to Pensacola in 4 months ill have to look you up