Main Menu

Latest amp build

Started by dunwichamps, October 05, 2011, 05:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunwichamps

Quote from: Chovie D on October 06, 2011, 12:51:32 PM
i dunno. i like stained woods too. but anytime I see a stained PLY where you can see the layers? i think cheap crappy work like I myself might do (Im a lousy carpenter).  :-[

I understand its cheap and easy  to do stained wood instead of tolex, its probably what i would do juts to avoid the expense and asspain that tolex is,  but stained ply is so hideous.

all wood no tolex cabs I like are the first fenders and boogies.

I would find verellen amps MUCH more appealing and professional looking if they cabs were tolexed.

all this is just one mans opinon, and the opinion of someone who is NEVER going to buy a custom built amplifier anyway so.... :-\

why not? vintage amps are cheap plentiful and provide almost every tone I coulod desire and I have a ton of em so....
The only thing I currently desire in an amp that i dont really have access to  is a very low wattage bedroom amp with a more modern sounding gain. Like much quieter than an epi valve jr and with mesa triple rectumfrier like gain  type thing. havent treally tried those nano shit amps maybe thats what IM lookin for?
Right now its old virbrochamps in the bedroom, even they are too loud.

You could get a 2W amp, ECC99 output, its a triode. I built one b4 in a combo. A 4 stage preamp would get you recto esque gain. Simply controls, say Gain, BMT, Master. Wont sound exactly like a raging stack tho, just doesnt work that way

Chovie D

I described what i wanted completely wrong. Id probably get my "modern" gain sounds from pedals anyway.
I think what I want is a quieter tweed champ. fuck it, Im just eventually gonna get a real tweed champ.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Chovie D on October 06, 2011, 01:32:26 PMI described what i wanted completely wrong. Id probably get my "modern" gain sounds from pedals anyway.
I think what I want is a quieter tweed champ. fuck it, Im just eventually gonna get a real tweed champ.

Bedroom amps are hard to really make because even SE 6v6 amps are louder than you would think. A 1 or 2W triode based tweed circuit is probably as small as you could go. Pair it with an inefficient speaker (80-85 dB/m) and you might get close to a bedroom amp.

Chovie D

Quote from: dunwichamps on October 06, 2011, 01:35:16 PM
Quote from: Chovie D on October 06, 2011, 01:32:26 PM
I described what i wanted completely wrong. Id probably get my "modern" gain sounds from pedals anyway.

Bedroom amps are hard to really make because even SE 6v6 amps are louder than you would think. A 1 or 2W triode based tweed circuit is probably as small as you could go. Pair it with an inefficient speaker (80-85 dB/m) and you might get close to a bedroom amp.

yeah, they are all too loud even the quietest ones.
Thats why Im thinking tweed champ. They tend to get a little quieter as the years go on and the components drift and the speaker "softens". plus they are kind of on the quieter side to begin with. i remember EVH saying it was his favorite bedroom amp. i also just really enjoy the sound of a tweed champ with no pedals...replacements, stones kind of grit. i recently saw a guy gig with a tweed champ...haha. Full on loud rock band in a packed club, guy is up there with a tweed champ, sounding great. I built a 5E3 and it sounds fantastic, my fave. . but it really only has one volume setting...LOUD.

dunwichamps

Another quick clip with a BAT LSTR

RacerX

Hey, Mr. Dunwich! How much would it run to build just the preamp section to this lil' gem? If it makes a difference, it would be the tone shaper in front of a Mesa 50/50 stereo power amp (Two 6L6s per side).

Livin' The Life.

dunwichamps

send me email at dunwichamps@gmail.com

sounds pretty easy to build a 5e3 rackmount pre, should be decently priced

VOLVO)))

Nick I'm going to email you about a beta-bass preamp single channel, in some kind of salvaged rack piece.

You joining the forum was shitty for all of us because now we're all broke.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Maybe you should take out a 2nd mortgage.

Hit me up with your ideas

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 08, 2011, 02:16:54 PM
Nick I'm going to email you about a beta-bass preamp single channel, in some kind of salvaged rack piece.

I'm just waiting on the parts for mine ;D

RacerX

I finally have a decent job again after a few years of suffering. Coupla more paychecks, and I'll be gettin' ahead of the game.

Meanwhile, I have emailed Dunwich.  For now, I'll just imagine my c-tuned lap steel or SG pumpin' through that dimed pre into 50 watts per side 6L6 powah!

muahahahaaaa...
Livin' The Life.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 08, 2011, 02:44:33 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on October 08, 2011, 02:16:54 PM

I'm just waiting on the parts for mine ;D
[/quote

You building a beta-bass? SS?

Hemisaurus

I'm gonna breadboard it first, there's a lot of ideas I want to try before I commit, I'm not gonna rack it, I'm thinking more a Sansamp sized enclosure, I need panel space more than circuit space. Yep the Beta is SS.

dunwichamps

nice, i love Sunn designs. They had such cool ideas in amps when they came out.

core9

I finally got a chance to give my NMV Wizard a test run.  HOLY FUCK....this thing ate my Matamp and shit it out on the floor!!
This kid's got what it takes fellas.  Your money will be well spent.  As soon as I get the finished product back, I will post some clips.

http://cursetheson.bandcamp.com

VOLVO)))

Don't fuck with me Herb...  ;D ;D

What'd the parts cost you? I have a dead beta lead case, or I can dig up something to gut as a rack enclosure... I really, REALLY want one...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I dunno, as I haven't found a case yet, which is probably going to be the most expensive part, or knobs. Plus I ordered a whole bunch of parts, not just parts for it, and I already have some of the parts , like sockets and stuff. Spitballing it I think maybe $12-15 of electrical parts, maybe a little more.

VOLVO)))

I need to go to school so I can do this shit myself.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: core9 on October 09, 2011, 12:24:45 AM
I finally got a chance to give my NMV Wizard a test run.  HOLY FUCK....this thing ate my Matamp and shit it out on the floor!!
This kid's got what it takes fellas.  Your money will be well spent.  As soon as I get the finished product back, I will post some clips.

http://cursetheson.bandcamp.com

Now next time we do a KT-120 version.

Squeeze a few more watts with even more robust power amp. Your going to need a bigger boat *cough cough* I mean cab

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 09, 2011, 12:03:54 PM
I need to go to school so I can do this shit myself.

Just build a pcb, populate, finish. If its an SS amp you dont need a crazy setup to get is working.

VOLVO)))

It's easy for you to say, you went to college for it. I'm teaching myself from books, and working on my friend's amps with about a 70% success rate. So, it'll be a little while before I get to do something of that magnitude on my own, if you know what I'm sayin'...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 09, 2011, 12:35:02 PM
It's easy for you to say, you went to college for it. I'm teaching myself from books, and working on my friend's amps with about a 70% success rate. So, it'll be a little while before I get to do something of that magnitude on my own, if you know what I'm sayin'...

I can teach you to build a pcb, I use ExpressPCB software, you can build, and then have them quote and manufacture for you. Since your just building a pre, the power suppy is not so critical because power demands are small.

Just send some Qs I can help you. Trust me I learned to build amps b4 I even built on during my EE undergrad. It can be learned

dunwichamps

Good shot of the front panel

The Riffer

BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

dunwichamps

Quote from: The Riffer on October 11, 2011, 11:43:01 PM
Badass. Period.

gracias