Main Menu

Why is it....

Started by Hemisaurus, December 14, 2011, 08:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

I can have a maple fingerboard handmade and sent to me from Ireland cheaper than I can buy one here?

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mawso

i dunno but if you're gonna be weirded out by things from OS being cheaper.. never ever come to Australia.. or your entire life will be spent walking around in a confused and perplexed daze

even australian built stuff can be had cheaper from jap & us websites

Metal and Beer

Environmental regulations on the import/export of wood? I'm guessing that may be an issue nowadays..
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

bitter

^ That's what I was thinking too, but maple is generally a domestic wood, right? Unless there's some Ugandan super maple tone wood I'm unaware of.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Pundan

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 14, 2011, 08:29:36 PM
I can have a maple fingerboard handmade and sent to me from Ireland cheaper than I can buy one here?
Because Greece has fucked up the entire economy in Europe by just not paying their loans.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, that was the main thing, I know they grow maple in the US, do they grow it in Ireland?

giantchris

Maple is definitely a native plant to the US.  For tonewoods native to the US I think Walnut, Ash, and basswood are the big ones.  I think you can actually make decent sounding instruments out of redwood and teak but that would be prohibitively expensive.

inductorguitars

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 14, 2011, 10:50:17 PM
Yeah, that was the main thing, I know they grow maple in the US, do they grow it in Ireland?

Well you should know know you are Irish. <ducks>  ;D

VOLVO)))

Quote from: inductorguitars on December 14, 2011, 11:44:17 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 14, 2011, 10:50:17 PM

Well you should know know you are Irish. <ducks>  ;D

He plays skin flute, not tin whistle!  ;D ;D ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

inductorguitars

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 14, 2011, 11:46:00 PM

He plays skin flute, not tin whistle!  ;D ;D ;D

Beer almost went all over my lappy.

(not to spread any rumours but he used to raise sheep. I've seen pics.)

VOLVO)))

Scotland, where the men are men (in skirts) and the sheep are scared!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Volume

RageofKlugman

QuoteThe Irish are broke?

I think so - the Irish economy going down the toilet was an appetiser for bigger European economies like Greece. In any event, the fretboard being cheaper from Ireland seems very odd as the Euro hasn't really fallen sharply against the dollar (as far I'm aware at any rate).

Pundan

According to Wikipedia maple does not grow naturally in Ireland. (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ad/Map_genus_Acer.png)
I can't really say that I'm into the subject or whatever, but the economic situation of Greece and other countries w/ bad economy is affecting all the members of the European union, and that surely will leave  mark on the value of the Euro. Sweden, where I live haven't changed it's currency to the Euro and therefore we're not as struck by the economical downfall that other countries which have changed to Euro are, Ireland being one of them.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 14, 2011, 08:29:36 PM

Link? Do they make bound, block inlay Jaguar necks?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Hemisaurus

Erik, you know that I just used to let them wander around the garden, they were Peter's sheep not mine, I was just too cheap to buy a lawnmower.

Disco, naw it's just a flat piece of maple. Are you wanting a fingerboard or a whole neck? As I understand it, you can get a precut and preslotted and radiused piece of maple, which you would have to glue in place, and then fret the slots, you can't fret a fingerboard before it's mounted on the neck. I may be wrong, but this is my understanding of it.

I have an old bass, with a peeling fingerboard from someone elses bodged repair, and I thought maybe I'd just put a piece of maple on it, and have me a nice maple fretless bass, rather than glue the current piece of rosewood back on. I'm interested how a non-radiused fingerboard would be to play, and if it's difficult, maybe I'd get it radiused.

neighbor664

I don't know about tone wood but my brother works for a US pharma company that recently moved one of it's manufacturing divisions to Ireland in the interest of saving money.

VOLVO)))

stew mac sells radius sanding blocks, Herb. Just do it yerself if you dont like no radius.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 15, 2011, 05:51:55 PM
stew mac sells radius sanding blocks, Herb. Just do it yerself if you dont like no radius.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I'd just get Unca' Dave to do it. He finished the trench to his new workshop, so it'll be in action soon.

BrianDamage

Would a lack of radius be bad for fretless playability?

I have no clue really but it seems like it might be.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Hemisaurus

I'm thinking if I get the nut and bridge set right, it'll make playing a lot easier.

Erik, haven't looked at that picture in ages, it's true, I used to live in a field, this was my back garden ;D

VOLVO)))

It seems your mistress has found your other mistress...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 15, 2011, 03:01:07 PM
Erik, you know that I just used to let them wander around the garden, they were Peter's sheep not mine, I was just too cheap to buy a lawnmower.

Disco, naw it's just a flat piece of maple. Are you wanting a fingerboard or a whole neck? As I understand it, you can get a precut and preslotted and radiused piece of maple, which you would have to glue in place, and then fret the slots, you can't fret a fingerboard before it's mounted on the neck. I may be wrong, but this is my understanding of it.

I have an old bass, with a peeling fingerboard from someone elses bodged repair, and I thought maybe I'd just put a piece of maple on it, and have me a nice maple fretless bass, rather than glue the current piece of rosewood back on. I'm interested how a non-radiused fingerboard would be to play, and if it's difficult, maybe I'd get it radiused.

http://www.rip-n-guitar.com/Guitar-Neck-Radius.htm

according to this schmoe, classical guitars are pretty much flat radiused. i love the feel of those necks, so it might work well for a bass too? if you like that.