Fleetwood Mac ~ Rumours

Started by Damocles74, December 31, 2011, 09:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damocles74

Front to back one of my favorite albums - all time!

Spinning this tonight and feeling like a drunk gypsy slut ;D

I'm taking this album out for a ride, rowing through the gears on this last night of the year, but sure to have it back before Cameron's father knows it's gone!

- Cheers ;)
Redditor Lucis Aeternae

libertycaps

This lp is Alpha & Omega. UK Blooze coupled with US Folk. Money.
I've got my own NM- original copy with the textured cover and insert.

Damocles74

^ Agreed ;)
Redditor Lucis Aeternae

RacerX

Post-Peter Green Fleetwood Mac = Fleetwood Pop. Fleetwood Pap. Fleetwood Crap.
Livin' The Life.

Damocles74

I know what you mean man ;) but....eh, you have to get over that. It is a truly rewarding listening experience!

I love it <3
:::::: edit for thread bating :::::

:P
Redditor Lucis Aeternae

RacerX

Nah, you gotta get over yerself.

Fleetwood Poop is lamer than dressing up like Jebus drinking red wine, meditating upon the Rumours cover while doing so far surpasses that.
Livin' The Life.

Damocles74

It's not wine, there was Ale before there was wine (and even before there was bread!)

I gave you a chance and extended my hand in friendship, but you have chosen the way of the troll. But what did I expect from one with the jaundiced complexion of the vegan (tells me all I need to know of this lifestyle).
      I have hurt your feelings (in that other thread), but they were your feelings to be hurt if you took what I said as a direct insult to your entheogenic spirituality.

You could just as easily told me to go fuck myself and move on - like a man would do ;) but no, you'd rather seek me out and speak like a vindictive bitch....just as I knew you would ;)

Redditor Lucis Aeternae

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

CanookieWookie

To be honest, I have to agree with Racer.  I just could never get into anything without Peter Green, and Rumours got waaaaaaayyyy too much airplay to like.   Maybe if it did not get oversaturated on the radio, I would appreciate it more.

Damocles74

^ So then you don't like Led Zeppelin?
        If your barometer for an album being good is based on whether or not it gets too much radio play, then we would never listen to the old guard to begin with.

( edit:::: swype texting sux!::::::)
Redditor Lucis Aeternae

GodShifter

I like all the Fleetwood Mac eras, personally. Each one has its individual merits. The stuff I tend to enjoy the best is the stuff with Bob Welch but I certainly recognize its not their greatest era. I just happen to like those albums, particularly Mystery to Me and I've always had a soft spot for Welch's voice.

I don't think it's fair to say that the Peter Green stuff shits all over the Buckingham/Nicks era. It's two different bands. FM B/N could have easily been called something else, but the rhythm section was the same, so the name made sense (in a sense).

Anyway, this thread is about Rumours, and I happen to really like this record a lot. As much as this album has been overplayed on classic rock radio, there are VERY few tunes that I just cannot listen to if they come on, and that's rare for me. Because I'm as a jaded as they come with tired radio standards. Something about the tunes on Rumours and, by extension, the s/t seem timeless and never tired, to me.

CanookieWookie

Quote from: Damocles74 on January 01, 2012, 01:28:25 PM
^ So then you don't like Led Zeppelin?
        If your barometer for an album being good is based on whether or not it gets too much radio play, then we would never listen to the old guard to begin with.

( edit:::: swype texting sux!::::::)

I like Zeppelin, I just can't listen to much of it.  Again, oversaturation from the radio.  If I had only known better when younger to stay away from classic rock radio.

Hence why my fav. classic rock bands tend to be Humble Pie, Allman Bros., Marshall Tucker, Deep Purple (although I cannot listen to Machine Head) etc...

libertycaps

After hearing these tracks on the radio growing up for years and years and then finally hearing them on a good stereo was quite a revelation. One of the best produced and engineered lp's of the mid-70's, i reckon. And i've heard quite a few now.

Oh. And D74, just Ignore the trolling vagina(s). 

The Shocker

Love the album overall, but I skip a few songs on cd (I put up with them on vinyl):
Songbird
You Make Loving Fun
Oh Daddy

GodShifter

"Oh Daddy" is, easily, my least favorite tune on the album. "Songbird" is 2nd.

neighbor664

Radio saturation and the Clintons have just about ruined this album for me. The Chain is still one of the greatest FM tunes ever though.

Doommantia

Poop to my ears. It is up there with ELO and Styx for schmaltz. I don't care how much cocaine Nicks was snorting, she still sounded like a wounded goat to me.

The Shocker

Quote from: Doommantia on January 18, 2012, 12:06:12 AM
Poop to my ears. It is up there with ELO and Styx for schmaltz. I don't care how much cocaine Nicks was snorting, she still sounded like a wounded goat to me.

I kinda like ELO and Styx (in a greatest hits way).

Submarine

Quote from: Doommantia on January 18, 2012, 12:06:12 AM
I don't care how much cocaine Nicks was snorting, she still sounded like a wounded goat to me.

That's hysterical (and kind of accurate) but I still like her voice.

RAGER

Just watched the Tom Petty doc.  Nicks was uber pushy aboot getting involved with Petty.

As far as Rumours goes, it's pure pop magic.  Some good stuff.  My favorite era is Peter Green though because I'm a guitar player and Buckingham has never even registered on my radar as a guitar player worth a shit to me.
No Focus Pocus

MichaelZodiac

Bumping this thread because I've been listening to Fleetwood Mac, Rumours & Tusk a lot lately. My knowledge of Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac is limited so hints for those is appreciated.
I love these 3 albums though. I know some songs of Rumours but not in the same way probably most of the forum posters have gotten to know this incarnation of Fleetwood Mac. So my ears are pretty fresh in terms of Fleetwood Mac and I must say that these albums have resonated big time with me. As a non-American they represent, at least from my perspective, a very American style. There's a certain openness in the music which to me represents the open space of the US, literally as well as metaphorically. Buckingham is a pop genius. There are arrangements that make me almost compare him to the Beatles. I watched the Classic Album doc on Rumours and at first (this was my introduction to the personalities of the bandmembers) I thought he was an arrogant dicktwat but then I listened more closely and now I don't know wether he's arrogant and rightfully can be or wether that's just the way he comes across.
Tusk is completely other animal but it retains that openness. Due to it being less accessible, I've put on Rumours more but spending time with Tusk is very fulfilling. Fleetwoods drums on these 3 albums is exceptional, as is McVies bass playing.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

durgaprasadzone

Thanks for sharing information. Actually I had also the same question in mind for a long

time anyways you started this thread & I am so happy. ::)
Spam links removed (AWWWWW!) Mean Moderator!

ledzep522

One of the greatest albums, I saw them in june at the Spokane Arena and it was a perfect show and they played most songs from this album

Sent from my LGL35G using Tapatalk 2

stooge

tusk is better
had it been a single album
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

RalphSnart_2

I can say they wrote some great songs that have stood the test of time, but I can also say that I'd be happy if I never heard this or the s/t ever again. Overplayed mom rock that dominated my childhood and now dominates my workdays as well. Plenty of other bands/albums I've had enough of (Boston's first album, Jesus!) but these cats are near the top of the list.