Prometheus

Started by Beerjerk, January 16, 2012, 11:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mortlock

Firstly, yeah, what's with the guy drinking whatever that shit is and then freaking out and the subsequent metamorphosis before he falls into the waterfall? What was the point of that? He falls into water. Wouldn't whatever effect he hoped to accomplish be diluted and/or negated by falling into the waterfall?

the point is his dna was released into the water, thus spawning humans. thats how they created us. evolution.

GodShifter

Got it.

I didn't realize the planet at the beginning was Earth. I thought it was either the engineer's home planet or the one the movie takes place on.

boltthrow

I thought I read somewhere that the Prometheus planet is not the same one from Alien.  The engineers are traveling all around the universe and seeding life everywhere (like in the opening scene on Earth or not Earth).  Also, in Alien the ship was above ground (which makes me wonder why the Prom engineer ship was below ground somehow).

I'm still pissed why Dragon Tattoo got this Noomi...

And Prometheus got this one...

GodShifter

But what is clear is that the alien life form from the first movie is a result of the thing taken out of Shaw coupled with incubation in an Engineer. Therefore, the alien is, in the end, part human (to some extent). So, with that mind, whatever planet is in the first Alien, the ship sending the distress signal the crew finds has been on the Prometheus planet, obviously. Or maybe not ... who the fuck knows? For a movie I didn't like to a tremendous degree, it certainly has me thinking about it.

Btw, that link priest posted helped a lot in understanding some of the finer plot details that completely alluded me when I saw it. So, thanks.

johnny problem

The geologist should have been dead from the acid and helmet melting from his face.  Also, when he goes back to the ship, he appears to be much bigger than before.  Bullshit.  Character should have remained dead in the movie, instead it felt like it was an action scene that was forced in to take away from the slow-ish pace of the movie.

Should have been done by james cameron, or someone competent.

Jor el

It is no Rock of Ages
What Would Scooby Do ?

gritty_fingers

Saw it yesterday and my thoughts:

I like the casting, the visuals, the pacing, the special effects......

But I hated the premise....and that's what sunk the movie for me. So yeah, I agree with Bolt and the others.

I really wish this movie was never made to be honest. I like seeing the Space Jockey in the beginning of Aliens and I think I would have prefered not knowing how the Space Jockey got there. I would prefer to live with the mystery rather than have all of this explained (at least sort of explained) in Prometheus.

"Ginger People"

mortlock

Therefore, the alien is, in the end, part human (to some extent).

actually no..the humans and the space jockys are simply host bodies for the incubation period..a high school biology text book wouldnt hurt you one bit..just sayin..

GodShifter

I could argue the point, but I don't care to ... you win.

mortlock

GodShifter

A swift kick in the balls.

Your assessment of my knowledge of biology aside, after thinking about my reasoning a bit more, I'm probably off the mark with my earlier reasoning.

Narco Pollo

I liked it a lot more on second viewing.  I had to see it again after reading stuff on the web about Space Jesus and stuff like Priest posted.  Definitely gives it a whole different feel.

I also think Charlize Theron (Vickers) was a Robot.  She and David are both blond haired and blue eyed.  Both call Weyland father.  Both want him dead so they can be free of his programming.  David calls Vickers "mother", indicating she may have come first.  It also makes sense that Weyland prefers the more advanced David model, which makes Vickers jealous.  David is a curious robot, Vickers a jealous one.

Theron's acting is cold.  She kills the scientist without much guilt.  She does everything mechanically.  She has a life pod with a male only machine.  She calls Weyland father, but they don't act like a family.

The biggest clue is 2 back to back scenes:  First we see them examining the Engineer head, and they ask David to lift the helmet because it's so heavy.  He shows off his super human strength.  The very next scene shows Vickers pick him up and slam him against the wall so hard it changes the pitch of his voice (like a dying tape deck).  She then threatens to rip his circuits out or something to that effect.

David also talks a lot about blending in with humans to make them feel more comfortable.

And it answers a lot of Bolt's questions when you see the little details the second time through.

1)  That self-operating medical pod that Shaw birthed the little squid in was "male only"?  Really?  It's so advanced but can't have a little more software to accommodate female surgical procedures?

I think it's part of a clue that Vickers is a robot.  The life pod and med machine were for Weyland.  Vickers the robot doesn't need one.

2)  Old man Guy Pearce didn't know daughter Charlize was onboard until he woke up in the third act?  Really?

He greatly favors David, and he was asleep, but yeah.  Kind of weak.

3)  Most of the crew had never met/didn't know what the mission was until they woke up?  Really?

That is a terrible flaw.  I think they were trying to make it seem like space travel was no big deal and they were like day laborers signing up for a gig.

3)  The rooster-haired geologist and his buddy wanted to go back to the ship but lost their way and stayed inside the alien mountain and never made it back to the Prometheus without anyone knowing?  Really?  They were in contact with the ship the whole time because after the storm hit the captain told 'em to stay put til morning.

Yep, dumb.

4)  The Captain was playing a fucking squeezebox?  Used to belong to Stephen Stills?  Really?  And guess what?  He and Charlize went off and fucked just so no one was watching the hologram to see what was going on in Alien Mountain!

That scene was also to show you that Vicker's was a robot.  The only reason she slept with him was because he was getting suspicious.

5)  What was the difference between the room with the huge head and upright "vases" and the "storage room" with thousands of more stacked vases?

The huge head room is the grow room for the goo.  The stacked vases were in the ship ready for shipment to earth.

6)  What exactly were the holograms of the engineers running around?  Just an easy way for David to watch them and then figure out how fly the ship later?

Yes.

7)  David knocked out Shaw on the medlab table after diagnosing her pregnancy but then left so two other people could come and move her to the cryo chamber (giving her the chance to knock them out and run to surgery pod?  Really?

Yep, he isn't really evil, just cold.  He liked Shaw, he thought the best thing was to put her back in cryo.

Shaw and her husband (boyfriend?) were so into finding these aliens but the moment they find them, she keeps investigating but he goes off and starts drinking?

I hate that guy.

9)  It seemed like David's mission was the get things ready for Guy Pearce and his meeting with the engineers.  So what was the point of infecting Shaw's husband?

Curiosity.  David is curious and emotional even though he shouldn't be.  Just like his "sister" Vickers is jealous.  Both are robots that have emotions.

10)  At the end, the big alien ship flew up into the sky, Prometheus rammed into it causing it to crash and fall -- and yet David's head stayed pretty much the exact same place in the jockey chamber after the crash when he started talking to Shaw?

It's a round room, hard to tell.
Drug Chicken

gritty_fingers

Quote from: Narco Pollo on June 18, 2012, 06:57:19 PM
I also think Charlize Theron (Vickers) was a Robot. 

I disagree. I think she was an uptight woman, not a robot. Besides...she mentioned something to her father something about her being the queen and he being the king. She was refering to the fact that she would replace him when he dies. I just don't see a Robot having that much ambition.

2nd reason: She didn't want the infected dude to go on the ship. She used the flame thrower to burn him to death. If she was a robot, she would not care if the infected dude was in the ship or not because his disease would not affect her.

3rd. The old man/Guy Pierce person specifically stated that David was a robot and had no soul. He didn't say anything about Vickers though.
"Ginger People"

juggernaut

I saw it last night and I pretty much agree with most of the complaints I've read.  That being said I was pretty much riveted the entire movie.  I saw it in IMAX 3D and that shit is pretty fucking impressive.  X2 when you are as high as I was for the movie.  It's worth seeing in the theater and that format just for the visuals alone.

I also had done a bit of reading before hand so I didn't go in with super high expecations and I think that helped me enjoy it a bit more.

Sleazy Cortez

"Damn you're one ignorant shit on the internet. "

ha!

i pretty well enjoyed myself. but there was a lot wrong with it. a lot of stuff that could have been fixed with just a little more thinking.
old man guy pearce was a terrible idea. why do that? jesus.

they call em fingers.... but i never seen em fing.

strangelight

i saw this last night. it was fucking disappointing.

why did that white dude drink that weird stuff and then fall into the waterfall?
why did david infect charlie?
is david trying to destroy the human race, or just the people on the ship?
why does charlie celebrate his discovery by getting hammered alone?
why is some of the ooze green and some black?
vickers mentioned that she had her own agenda for the expedition, but never says what that is. yes, her father wanted to meet his creator, but surely there was something she was going to get out of it.
why did the white dude want to kill humans?
what kind of alien was the abortion alien? the goo for it came from the ship, but it attacked the white guy from the same ship. why would they keep a creature around that kills them and spawns inside of them?
vickers' life raft crashed when it was ejected from prometheus. how was she going to get off of the planet in that?
why does david help shaw in the end if he's been trying to kill her all this time?
if you're going to write in a sex scene between charlize theron and stringer bell, why the fuck don't you show it???????

deleted account

Quote from: gritty_fingers on June 19, 2012, 12:43:01 AM
Quote from: Narco Pollo on June 18, 2012, 06:57:19 PM
I also think Charlize Theron (Vickers) was a Robot. 

I disagree. I think she was an uptight woman, not a robot. Besides...she mentioned something to her father something about her being the queen and he being the king. She was refering to the fact that she would replace him when he dies. I just don't see a Robot having that much ambition.

2nd reason: She didn't want the infected dude to go on the ship. She used the flame thrower to burn him to death. If she was a robot, she would not care if the infected dude was in the ship or not because his disease would not affect her.

3rd. The old man/Guy Pierce person specifically stated that David was a robot and had no soul. He didn't say anything about Vickers though.

and if she was a robot, she would've avoided getting rolled up on by a spaceship by running sideways instead of lengthwise

gritty_fingers

Quote from: priest on June 20, 2012, 07:29:27 PM
and if she was a robot, she would've avoided getting rolled up on by a spaceship by running sideways instead of lengthwise

You know...that whole sequence was pretty strange. How it was edited and shot kinda confused me. Its amazing to me how that ship landed on both women. I wish I can watch that clip again.
"Ginger People"

Narco Pollo

From Ridley Scott himself @ 4:15.

"Is there going to be a robot in this film?"

"There may be 2."

And this scene IMMEDIATELY follows the scene where David shows off his strength.  She sure tosses him around easily for being a super human Robot.  She doesn't just slam him.  She hits him hard enough to lower his voice.

Robot sibling rivalry.  The jealous bot vs. the curious bot.
Drug Chicken

Narco Pollo

Also, David calls her "mother."

The ship computer in the original Alien is named Mother.  Vickers is in charge of the ship.

Plus they look and dress alike.  Her performance is stiff and cold, and she's a good actress.

It may be a red herring though.  You are supposed to at least question it, I believe.  Even the crew does.
Drug Chicken

strangelight

but why should the audience care about this mystery if she's dead/destroyed? sure, maybe she was a robot, but odds are she won't be in the next film (if there is one), so there's no pay off to discovering she's a robot.

Narco Pollo

It's part of the story though.  I have a feeling that there will be a very extended DVD.  There are all ready the viral videos of young Weyland and the David commercials. (which is part of the reason they gave him the old make-up, so they could go back in time.)

and the "leaked" images:

And the small detail of Weyland Corp being founded on 10-11-2012... I don't know what, but I suppose there will be some more teases coming out then, with a very expanded DVD.

Just like the original Space Jockey and Juggernaut from Alien, it wasn't explained or a big part of the story... just a mysterious corpse in the beginning and people talked about it for 30 years.  Doesn't matter that she's dead.  And if she's a Robot she may not be, and doesn't need food or air to survive.
Drug Chicken

mortlock

why did that white dude drink that weird stuff and then fall into the waterfall?
a: he was seeding the earth with his dna to spawn humans.
why did david infect charlie?
a: because he was asked to by the old man. they were bringing a specimen back one way or another. the wayland corp has military ties.
is david trying to destroy the human race, or just the people on the ship?
a: neither.
why does charlie celebrate his discovery by getting hammered alone?
a: because the other two dudes who seemed like they would party were stuck in the pyramid. the one dude..the geologist. dude was doing bong hits out of his resperator.  
why is some of the ooze green and some black?
a: irrelevant.
vickers mentioned that she had her own agenda for the expedition, but never says what that is. yes, her father wanted to meet his creator, but surely there was something she was going to get out of it.
a: military applications were to be understood going into this movie. it is assumed youve seen at least the first two alien movies prior to seeing this.
why did the white dude want to kill humans?
a: we dont know, thats why she left for their planet, not earth. they tell you that in the movie..its the one thing that is spelled out.
what kind of alien was the abortion alien? the goo for it came from the ship, but it attacked the white guy from the same ship. why would they keep a creature around that kills them and spawns inside of them?
a: again, military apps. you do remember the captain refering to weapons of mass destruction that got out.
vickers' life raft crashed when it was ejected from prometheus. how was she going to get off of the planet in that?
a: shes not. who said she had to.
why does david help shaw in the end if he's been trying to kill her all this time?
a: he was never trying to kill her. he was behind the wayland corps efforts in trying to smuggle an alien back to earth inside her. thats why he tried to put her back into the deep freeze.
if you're going to write in a sex scene between charlize theron and stringer bell, why the fuck don't you show it?
a: c.t. doesnt fuck black guys.

strangelight

but it's idris elba!!

plus charlize theron is african. i'm sure she's had a couple black cocks in her.