Prometheus

Started by Beerjerk, January 16, 2012, 11:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beerjerk

Apparently, it's the prequel to Alien. It deals with the Space Jockeys, the race that created both the Xenomorphs and humans.

The Shocker

Demon Lung

Quote from: Beerjerk on January 16, 2012, 11:32:24 PM
Apparently, it's the prequel to Alien. It deals with the Space Jockeys, the race that created both the Xenomorphs and humans.

I read that the rewrites have made it so its less of an alien movie. Supposedly still awesome but not what is expected

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

CanookieWookie

Quote from: Demon Lung on January 17, 2012, 10:19:57 AM

I read that the rewrites have made it so its less of an alien movie. Supposedly still awesome but not what is expected

There are no Aliens in the movie.

Demon Lung

Quote from: willb on January 17, 2012, 03:23:37 PM
Quote from: Demon Lung on January 17, 2012, 10:19:57 AM

There are no Aliens in the movie.
does everything have to be explained to you? It's supposed to be  a prequel but it been rewritten so much that it's not much of a prequel. When I said alien I thought it was obvious that I was talking about the alien movie Franchise and not aliens.

CanookieWookie

Listen cocksmoker, this is exactly what I was saying you fucknut.  When I said Aliens I meant Aliens, you know from the fucking movie you cuntface. Damn you're one ignorant shit on the internet.

Do me and yourself a favour and fuck off and don't respond to my posts and I'll do the same for you.

DustinAR

I can't wait to see this. The trailer looks awesome.

johnny problem

This movie is really bothering me.  It's crawling all over my skin, I'm really excited for this movie.  I need to shelter myself from any new material.  My hopes are up way too high.

diasdegalvan

UK Trailer version

Just about the same.

diasdegalvan

Fuckin' hell very excited for this movie.

mortlock

this movie is going to kill..i love the aliens movies. the timing on this couldnt have been better. im getting sick of superhero movies.

The Shocker

Reviews are coming in - so far, so good.

eugenicscum

Watching it tomorrow. Can't fucking wait!

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2

juggernaut

Quote from: eugenicscum on June 08, 2012, 03:49:24 AM
Watching it tomorrow. Can't fucking wait!

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2

I'm kind of bummed since the reviews are getting pretty mediocre.  I was hoping it would be flawless but apparently there is a lot to be desired.  I'm sure I'll still like it though.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prometheus_2012/

Jor el

It was good...not great.
Fun to look at.

Can't touch ALIEN, but is easily better than all the Alienz bullshit.
What Would Scooby Do ?

boltthrow

What a disjointed mess.  And I wanted to love it.  Just one yawn-inspiring move after another. 

Certainly visually accomplished (though what was with Noomi's face?  Didn't she used to be young and cute looking?) and I guess you have to attempt a story on this "mythic" scale so as not to repeat the "haunted house in space" format of ALIEN or the rollercoaster ride of ALIENS.  But still, even though technically impressive, who cares about the characters's philosophical meanderings, total interchangeability and sense-defying plot moves? 

And hey, guess what?  Guy Pearce as a super old guy looked about as convincing (as virtually every other old age makeup out there) as James Caan and Bette Midler in "For The Boys"! 

mortlock

Quote from: boltthrow on June 08, 2012, 08:13:14 PM
What a disjointed mess.  And I wanted to love it.  Just one yawn-inspiring move after another. 

Certainly visually accomplished (though what was with Noomi's face?  Didn't she used to be young and cute looking?) and I guess you have to attempt a story on this "mythic" scale so as not to repeat the "haunted house in space" format of ALIEN or the rollercoaster ride of ALIENS.  But still, even though technically impressive, who cares about the characters's philosophical meanderings, total interchangeability and sense-defying plot moves? 

And hey, guess what?  Guy Pearce as a super old guy looked about as convincing (as virtually every other old age makeup out there) as James Caan and Bette Midler in "For The Boys"! 
i hope im not sophisticated enough to be put off by that..

Jor el

Old age makeup is/was horrendous.
Why don't they just get elderly actors??
What Would Scooby Do ?

Jor el

Also, too much of a made-for-television sci-fi vibe.
If it wasn't Ridley, I wouldn't have bothered to see it.
What Would Scooby Do ?

boltthrow

Even the Ridley Scott factor was kind of nonexistent.  I didn't sense anything that couldn't have been done by a million other contemporary directors. 

I mean, yes, the effects were astonishing and seamless and the planet was rendered terrifically (the sound design was particularly good in that silica storm) but there wasn't even one single scene that had a slow creep build-up like Ripley and Dallas searching the medlab for the facehugger that disappeared off of Kane or the "Dallas in the air shafts" sequence in the original.  Good directing to me is usually foregoing the sfx and slowing things down to make the audience squirm.

Of course Ridley would say he didn't want to repeat the first movie -- so he ended up just doing fairly boring scenes from a million other space movies.  I also thought Logan-Marshall whatshisname as the husband was fairly bad and Charlize was pitched way too arch. 

Bottom line: this one left me feeling about as empty and unsatisfied as Alien 3 and 4.

Bummer all around, I guess.

Narco Pollo

Not that bad.  It was the best Alien film in years.  Had some odd moments/choices and as Jor El noted a TV vibe.  I was entertained and not bored though.  So, it did what it was supposed to.
Drug Chicken

Demon Lung

Hasn't Scott said several times that it is not an alien movie?

boltthrow

Also, I hated the score from the get-go.   Very similar to the John Williams Superman theme.

Jor el

Yeah, the music pissed me of.
What Would Scooby Do ?